Applying PPF film over OTT Stripe on GT350

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I inquired about having pff film applied on my whole hood to protcect the paint and OTT stripe. The vendor told me that he would have to cut the film where the stripe meets the paint to allow the film to lay flat or else there is likely air pockets due to the stripe being higher than the paint surface.

I have searched this forum and can't find anyone having this issue. For those that got full hood wrapped on top of OTT stripe, did you have to cut the film?

Also, I am in Southern IL, soif you know of a good PFF installer around the St louis/ Southern IL area, please let me know.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Xpel has two kits for the hood - with and without the stripes - which should tell you something. Check this site for a look at the standard GT 350 kits that are available: www.xpel.com.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
My installer did a bulk wrap of the entire hood - over the top of the stripes. You can see where the stripes cause the wrap to be a little higher, but there are not pockets along the stripe edge.

Hope this helps.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
+1..mine went over the stripes, there might be a tiny little gap there but id rather have that than a seem that will collect dirt

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Good info, thank you.
Is it okay to go over the matte stripes as well? I realize it will turn them glossy, but will it leave residue on the matte that is tough to get out?

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Properly uninstalling the film takes care and a little more time than you may think, but you can do it without damaging the stripes. I'd still have a pro do it, though; I've seen guys who thought they could just peel an edge and pull off the film end up peeling the paint off too.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Properly uninstalling the film takes care and a little more time than you may think, but you can do it without damaging the stripes. I'd still have a pro do it, though; I've seen guys who thought they could just peel an edge and pull off the film end up peeling the paint off too.
All the shops I've talked to, they warned me that when removing the film, it'll most likely pull the stripes off with it. My potential solution to this is having my installer put CQ Finest over the stripes to make it super slick(can't do whole hood, film won't adhere properly), and also create that micro-thin hard layer, so when time comes to remove the film, it won't take the expensive stripes with it.

Obviously this is just a theory in my head, at worst, it'll take the stripes off with it anyways, at best, it'll save my stripes, so might as well try.

OP
OP
MTWINN

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
+1..mine went over the stripes, there might be a tiny little gap there but id rather have that than a seem that will collect dirt
I agree with you. I am thinking (hoping) that having the white accent on the stripe will help conceal any air pockets so it's not so noticeable.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Sounds good, thanks for the opinions

ncrisis

NCRISIS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 DIB Black Roof Track Pack
I inquired about having pff film applied on my whole hood to protcect the paint and OTT stripe. The vendor told me that he would have to cut the film where the stripe meets the paint to allow the film to lay flat or else there is likely air pockets due to the stripe being higher than the paint surface.

I have searched this forum and can't find anyone having this issue. For those that got full hood wrapped on top of OTT stripe, did you have to cut the film?

Also, I am in Southern IL, soif you know of a good PFF installer around the St louis/ Southern IL area, please let me know.

Thanks.

For what it is worth I just picked up mine today from the Auto Salon and the Pro Installer is very considerate of the stripe issue as we discussed this forum and various comments. We planned on doing the whole hood in one sheet going over the stripes but once he got into it he felt that doing the srtripes independent of the other parts of the hood was the way to go. I trust him as he knows what is doing. The only caution thrown my way was when I wax the car to use painter tape on the gap so not to get wax in the seam.

Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I had my whole hood wrapped with one sheet of Xpel. My installer discussed the pros and cons of each solution, whole hood vice separate sections for the stripes. Either way, you will ultimately cover the stripes. The minor lift issue of the Xpel from the stripes is not a big deal in my option. Here is what sold me on wrapping the hood, if your stripe is separately wrapped, their is close to a 1/8 gap of non-covered area either on the stripe or paint on each side. Ultimately, one chip that gets in the exposed area will cause more damage than wrapping the entire hood and worried about so called lift, which is almost non-existent on my car. I fact, the tiny amount that i see blends in with the white stripes. Not concerned about Matt or glossy after effects either. Either way is fine with me.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
A few members here have wrapped their hood in 1 piece, with the stripe area slightly raised. Other than aesthetics, haven't heard any issues with going that route.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
I just got my car back, covered everything from the a-pillars forward. Hood is one big piece, the longed xpel sheet is 60" and our hoods are like 58" so we barely make it. I'll have pictures of it on my thread soon. I say one piece man, and it will be super easy to wash, before I wrapped, washing was a pain because I had to clean in 3 sections, and watch the strip edges closely . Now should be easy to clean the front

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
My installer had separate pieces for the OTT stripes

OP
OP
MTWINN

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks everyone for your input. With my limited experience with the ppf, the thought of having 1 big sheet of film covering the hood would be better than cutting lines in it.
Sponsored