Sponsored

Apple CarPlay USB Charging Speed?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

What is the charging speed (in Watts) of the USB port in the center console that has CarPlay on the newer Mustang models? I'm guessing not very fast.

I'm looking to do an upgrade to my 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium and add Apple CarPlay to just kind of see what the fuss is about. I'm looking at getting something like this to replace the center USB port and might eventually get a second wireless CarPlay module. I've got USB C fast chargers in my Mustang now and don't want to give up the ability to charge my phone on the way to work, so still doing research on this.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-CARP...BAVVTN2CZVF&psc=1&refRID=ZW2PJCDGQBAVVTN2CZVF
Sponsored

Goosey23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine charges plenty fast. I'm not sure USB-C fast, but it isn't painfully slow like my 2012 F150's usb.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not certain this is an answer to your specific question, but I'm assured these things bring plenty of power to the access points for your appliances.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I’ve never seen a power rating shown for these hubs. Based on experience they are on par with any standard usb powered hub. Not super fast, nor super slow, just average. It is certainly worth it if you want CarPlay.

By the way, not sure why you would buy this on Amazon.
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/hu5z-19a387-a.html

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I’ve never seen a power rating shown for these hubs. Based on experience they are on par with any standard usb powered hub. Not super fast, nor super slow, just average. It is certainly worth it if you want CarPlay.

By the way, not sure why you would buy this on Amazon.
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/hu5z-19a387-a.html
I actually ordered from the link you posted here so thank you for that. It's kind of an experiment to see how I like CarPlay so we'll just see how it goes. I'll do some charging tests on it too. If I can get CarPlay to work wirelessly that would be awesome as well but from reading on here it's a bit buggy when people have tried that.

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Mine has no issue charging my phone quickly even during heavy GPS (Google Maps)/Spotify/Carplay use.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I did a test today and am relieved that the center USB port in the glove box does appear to charge my iPhone pretty fast. It looks like it is a 12 watt charger or something like that since it charges about as fast as when I used my iPad charger with my iPhone.

I have not received the Carplay adapter just yet but at least I know one part of this upgrade will work.
Sponsored