APEX Pro (Gen 1) and track apps

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Apex had the Gen 1 refurb list for $289 last week so I grabbed one. Heading to the track this Saturday so trying to figure out my new setup.

Questions:
If you’re running the Apex Pro - I know @Flyhalf is……are you running another track app off of a different phone, or using the LTP that Apex offers?

I have Harry’s Lap Timer (complicated - last time at track couldn’t get it to work) and then I also have TrackAddict.
TrackAddict was very easy and I loved it.
I wanted the lighted display for in the car that Apex offers.

So previously I was using a Go-Pro in the cab of the car so I could review my driving errors, then I was using TrackAddict with my iPhone dash mounted for more up close track reviewing and lap times.

I would love to overlay video with exterior view, interior view, and all of the speed/data while also using Apex Pro.
Do I need 2 phones (1 dedicated to Apex Pro) and 1 dedicated to TrackAddict?

I am absolutely computer illiterate though, so definitely looking for the easiest option.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Use together with track addict
I do have their LTP
issue is. I dont have an iphone
I use ipad. Because the real value of apex pro aren't the lights or the lap timing. Is about the data that u can analize right away. And i pad works better cause bigger
My set up :

received_505721407912591.jpeg

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Is the data you use right away is what is displayed in your pic, your previous or a faster lap time? So you can make corrections on the fly (no pun intended) and see immediate results?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Is the data you use right away is what is displayed in your pic, your previous or a faster lap time? So you can make corrections on the fly (no pun intended) and see immediate results?
No that is predicted time.
Data is real data lime speed. Braking points braking intensity. If i slowed too much in a corner vs another lap etc.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Somenthing like that.
Also of course all the data you put i. Your videos. There is also the obd connector data (rpm temps etc

Figure03-696x392.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
No that is predicted time.
Data is real data lime speed. Braking points braking intensity. If i slowed too much in a corner vs another lap etc.
Gotchya. So TrackAddict also displays your expected lap times too, which I like. You prefer the data Apex provides, I’m not sure I’m in that advanced class yet lol.
I did my track day, and the Apex LTP app actually didn’t record my absolute best 20min session, I was really disappointed because I’m trying to analyze so many different things I’m doing on this specific track. I ended up just using TrackAddict app again because it was predictable and reliable.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
A good tool is also the new garmin catalyst. If data is not your main point. But u still want some " coaching" it is probably your best option. :)

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Alessandro, what mount are you using for the iPad?
Nice setup.
I took a 1'x1' abs plastic sheet (like a 1/4 thick) shaped to fit the mustang screen. Double tape velcro and secured that around the mustang screen plastic dashboard.
Then strong magnets :)
I also put a small tape on top just in case :)

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of ways of doing it, I guess whatever you're really looking for.

I use a Race Capture Pro by Auto Sport Labs, and a dongle to power and pull everything from the OBD. I've got an Amazon Fire tablet mounted on my cage which I can use for various things, like realtime laps with predictive laps, if I'm adding or losing time, and a bunch of other alerts and rules that'll pop up if say my temp or a pressure drops/hits a certain threshold.

1650509284475.png

Regardless of how you get your data, your best friend might end up being Race Render, a free program for both Mac and PC which you can use to make something like this with little effort.

1650508816661.png

Now sure, it's a rather shitty looking and shaky video, but do take notice of the fact that I can do it one-handed and babble my way through it, which should show how easy it is to do. Does it have to be Track Addict? Does it have to be a GoPro video? Not at all, just find a way to output the raw data, know how to do a light cleansing ("data wrangling") when necessary, and just choose which column is what. The free version is fully featured, only limitation is something like exporting a 3 minute video, and the size of some required graphic which you can move around. Paying a few bucks allows you to shrink it, or remove it fully. Should you want to put some sponsors in the video, go right ahead, a pretty powerful program worth its weight in gold.

In the end, I don't give a shit which method you choose, only that you do choose one. It's hard to know where you're going to go if you don't know where (and how) you've been, and going off of blind laptimes from the transponders is just stupid, they're a punch card running off of magnets.

Last edited:

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

I use a Race Capture Pro by Auto Sport Labs, and a dongle to power and pull everything from the OBD. I've got an Amazon Fire tablet mounted on my cage which I can use for various things, like realtime laps with predictive laps, if I'm adding or losing time, and a bunch of other alerts and rules that'll pop up if say my temp or a pressure drops/hits a certain threshold.

1650509284475.png

Regardless of how you get your data, your best friend might end up being Race Render, a free program for both Mac and PC which you can use to make something like this with little effort.

1650508816661.png

Now sure, it's a rather shitty looking and shaky video, but do take notice of the fact that I can do it one-handed and babble my way through it, which should show how easy it is to do. Does it have to be Track Addict? Does it have to be a GoPro video? Not at all, just find a way to output the raw data, know how to do a light cleansing ("data wrangling") when necessary, and just choose which column is what. The free version is fully featured, only limitation is something like exporting a 3 minute video, and the size of some required graphic which you can move around. Paying a few bucks allows you to shrink it, or remove it fully. Should you want to put some sponsors in the video, go right ahead, a pretty powerful program worth its weight in gold.

In the end, I don't give a shit which method you choose, only that you do choose one. It's hard to know where you're going to go if you don't know where (and how) you've been, and going off of blind laptimes from the transponders is just stupid, they're a punch card running off of magnets.
hey Patrick. Which model do you have of Race Capture? I see someone selling a mk2 locally but I know they released the new MK3.

OP
OP
TundraOnKings

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)

1650509284475.png

1650508816661.png

Very awesome! Thank you very much! My track buddy uses the paid version of Race Rendor - I’m going to give it a shot and use your video.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
hey Patrick. Which model do you have of Race Capture? I see someone selling a mk2 locally but I know they released the new MK3.
I have the Race Capture Pro / MK3. I believe the mk2/3 is the generation, and then the main difference between those is the size of the unit, and on the pro you can wire it to anything like a formula car, or cars pre OBD-II whereas on the non-pro it seems you are limited to OBD-II.

https://www.autosportlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/RaceCapture_Track-MK2-product-brief.pdf

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I have the Race Capture Pro / MK3. I believe the mk2/3 is the generation, and then the main difference between those is the size of the unit, and on the pro you can wire it to anything like a formula car, or cars pre OBD-II whereas on the non-pro it seems you are limited to OBD-II.

https://www.autosportlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/RaceCapture_Track-MK2-product-brief.pdf
Yes the non pro is what I was referring to. Thanks. Don’t think there is much difference between that and the new MK3. $200 for mk2 or 450 for mk3. But I like ASL products and you seem to as well
Sponsored