Sponsored

Anyone with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) install a GT350 bumper? What happened?

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Hi everyone.

Getting my car back from the shop next week after installing, painting and blending the MP Concepts GT350 front bumper. My understanding is that the sensor for adaptive cruise control (ACC) is tuned so it only works with the OEM grill. I am prepared for ACC to not work with this new bumper. I can live with that.

I'm just wondering if that's what happens - it just doesnt work. Or if i'm going to have a CEL, or an error light, or erratic behavior from the car. Haven't really seen much about this. But sooo many people do the GT350 front bumpers that someone must have done it on a premium car that included ACC.

Anyone?
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Cruise control wont work at all. A message saying "adaptive cruise control not available" will come up on the center screen every single time you start the car.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Thanks. I wonder if there is a way to disable it all together with forscan. I can live with the message, but i'd rather not have it.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
To my knowledge, you can disable the message in forscan but regular cruise control still won’t work.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Right, I get what you're saying. I'm giving up cruise control for the bumper. Do you know what forscan setting it is to disable the message? it's not on my spreadsheet.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Right, I get what you're saying. I'm giving up cruise control for the bumper. Do you know what forscan setting it is to disable the message? it's not on my spreadsheet.
I had a huge piece of 18 wheeler tire hit my bumper, and it caused the sensor to pop loose. I was able to go into the advanced settings on the dash and change the cruise setting from adaptive to standard cruise. After that, i was able to use regular 'non-adaptive' cruise with no problem. However, it did nag me when i started cruise that it wasnt adaptive. Also, the pre-collision assist uses this sensor, so that will likely get disabled too.

The good news for me was that once i snapped the sensor back into position, everything resumed normal operation. Also, its working with an aftermarket grille, the eBay bullitt style one.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Awesome. Thanks. I should be getting car back tomorrow and I'll see just what happens. I'll update the post in case someone else has the same question.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at a new fascia and the only third party one I see that confirms to allow ACC to still work so far is the Steeda Q front bumper cover. Other perhaps is the Shelby GT-H / Super Snake, not sure if its confirmed, cause even the dealers selling some with ACC package keep the feature still listed, but no idea if it really still works and Shelby will not partially convert your car. And I would be dumbfounded if Shelby made the design to not work with it and customers still pay 100+ K... to find out they lose ACC.

ACC does mess up for good and would need a factory recalibration if you do other things like knock it out of place or it gets tilted or moved slightly during some supercharger installs that end up moving the box even slightly for larger radiators etc. And some aftermarket bumpers may block too much in front.

Mine does have menu option in car to turn off ACC and use just regular cruise control

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at a new fascia and the only third party one I see that confirms to allow ACC to still work so far is the Steeda Q front bumper cover. Other perhaps is the Shelby GT-H / Super Snake, not sure if its confirmed, cause even the dealers selling some with ACC package keep the feature still listed, but no idea if it really still works and Shelby will not partially convert your car. And I would be dumbfounded if Shelby made the design to not work with it and customers still pay 100+ K... to find out they lose ACC.

ACC does mess up for good and would need a factory recalibration if you do other things like knock it out of place or it gets tilted or moved slightly during some supercharger installs that end up moving the box even slightly for larger radiators etc. And some aftermarket bumpers may block too much in front.

Mine does have menu option in car to turn off ACC and use just regular cruise control
If the new bumper cover doesnt displace the sensor, there could still be a chance of it working. i think manufacturers dont want to claim it will work without having done actual testing on it. The bumper cover is a different plastic than the grille, so depending on how its tuned, its probably a 50/50 chance as to whether the different material will cause a problem. In my case, the eBay bullit grill didnt cause any problem at all.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
If the new bumper cover doesnt displace the sensor, there could still be a chance of it working. i think manufacturers dont want to claim it will work without having done actual testing on it. The bumper cover is a different plastic than the grille, so depending on how its tuned, its probably a 50/50 chance as to whether the different material will cause a problem. In my case, the eBay bullit grill didnt cause any problem at all.
Yeah but always wondered why ford won't install the lower fangs grill on acc optioned cars. You end up with a non-fang flat lower grill. Bullitt is flat.

Sponsored
OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Took lower than expected to get my car, but I finally got it this Tuesday night. I've been driving it so far with no warnings, no errors, no problems. I can see in the options that adaptive cruise is enabled. Cruise control worked. It definitely slowed the car down due to traffic in front. Haven't had an opportunity to test it where the car would have the opportunity to accelerate again. Even if this last part doesn't work, i still have cruise control and no warnings or errors. I'm more than happy with this outcome.

68637494_10105112228829428_5319733483369660416_o.jpg

67836406_10105112229153778_1690575049842491392_o.jpg

vincentjm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP
Looks good man!

I'm just gonna hijack this thread, but I have a similar question: What about a lower grille delete?

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Here's a boring little video I made today. ACC is fully working. Accelerates and slows down based on speed and traffic and the distance setting.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The bumper cover (and car) look great! Glad everything works too with regards to ACC.

rzermeno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Here's a boring little video I made today. ACC is fully working. Accelerates and slows down based on speed and traffic and the distance setting.

Did the body shop do anything in particular to attach the ACC sensor to the new GT350 bumper?
Sponsored