Sponsored

Anyone with a RAM HDX Clutch, Did yours look like a generic stock clutch?

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I ordered a Ram Clutch Set with Flywheel for my 2016 3.7, Part #88956FW from a seemingly reputable eBay seller. I was having a hard time finding proper flywheel/pressure plate bolts, so I found it easier to go with RAM, as their set comes with pressure plate bolts, and included the RAM part number to order for the flywheel bolts (another $110)

I received my clutch today and I'm kind of confused/disappointed. It looks like a stock clutch, even though we all know there is not a stock single mass flywheel version of our clutches. Mine has a Valeo FDC-39 pressure plate, a clutch disc that just says a00820 on it, with no other markings, and a flywheel that only has an etched number on the bottom, which I don't recall at the moment. Pressure plate is matte grey, without the bright red RAM color. It's also supposed to have 8 springs, and mine clearly has 5.

I'm thinking I ended up with some kind of cheap stock clutch that wont even fit my car. The box has the correct part number on it, and it included some RAM stickers in a bag. Attached are some pics.

20210522_210726_HDR.jpg

20210522_210734_HDR.jpg

20210522_211404_HDR.jpg

20210522_211412_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, I will say that Valeo is a vendor/supplier to Ford for clutches and has been for years....

That certainly looks like a regular/stock component to me....

Someone on AM posted a pic of same clutch and said what was received was not the pic as advertised:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-hdx-clutch-package-1114-v6.html

Call up RAM Customer Service and inquire what it should look like.

OP
OP
DeepImpactS550

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Well, I will say that Valeo is a vendor/supplier to Ford for clutches and has been for years....

That certainly looks like a regular/stock component to me....

Someone on AM posted a pic of same clutch and said what was received was not the pic as advertised:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-hdx-clutch-package-1114-v6.html

Call up RAM Customer Service and inquire what it should look like.
I've seen other photos of RAM clutches (in general) on google images also showing a Valeo disc, but with Valeo printed on the friction material. This one doesn't even have that. I wonder if RAM has gone the way of Chevrolet since their buyout. Certain parts are now outsourced to save money? But I still have a major problem receiving a 5-spring disc, when it should be an 8-spring, as advertised. Their HDX kits are also specifically advertised as having "increased clampload for bolt-on upgrades". Not sure how that, or the rated 450hp of holding power is possible with a generic disc and pressure plate. FWIW, the friction material does appear to be high quality.

I messaged RAM Clutches Facebook with these photos, and I'll probably end up calling them as you suggested.

OP
OP
DeepImpactS550

DeepImpactS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Contacted RAM clutches on Facebook and expected to be forwarded to their technical support email address, but actually got a reply stating that the item I received is a v6 package based on the 10.5" v8 King Cobra Clutch. I replied noting the difference in spring count, and I'm still awaiting a reply, but it sounds like this package will work.

Maybe the disc is better, as the original King Cobra disc appears have a 350hp rating. This one claims 450hp.
Sponsored