Sponsored

Anyone with a GT350 going to swap out phasers and lash adjusters?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So, now that we've found that the GT350R and GT350 engines have differences, is anyone with a GT350 planning on upgrading?

I would consider doing this once the warranty is expired. Mostly just for the fun of it. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Until we find out why they have different parts, no.

My engine runs pretty damn well.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This - why?
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6004-A50R

Variable Cam Timing (VCT) phasers require proper oil pressure to function correctly. It is inherent that all cam phasers have a certain oil leak rate. These high-performance cam phasers have a much lower leak rate than stock, allowing better control of the phasers at higher engine speeds and loads. These cam phasers are oriented for racing applications.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6004-A50R

Variable Cam Timing (VCT) phasers require proper oil pressure to function correctly. It is inherent that all cam phasers have a certain oil leak rate. These high-performance cam phasers have a much lower leak rate than stock, allowing better control of the phasers at higher engine speeds and loads. These cam phasers are oriented for racing applications.
"0riginal equipment on 2017-2018 Mustang GT350 5.2L"

again, why?

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@rick81721 Its been basically proven that the Rs use those VCT phasers while the standard 350s use the ones from the 5.0.

I do agree that it is very odd that of all of the things you could improve on the "race version" of the 350, Ford chose the cam phasers/lash adjusters. I also wonder what the advantage of them is over the standard ones, I mean its not like you see issues with the VCT phasers on all of the standard 350s that are regularly tracked. I assume @honeybadger hasn't had any problems with them and from talking to the guys at the FP racing school, they haven't had any issues either.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
"0riginal equipment on 2017-2018 Mustang GT350 5.2L"

again, why?
Not original equipment on non-r GT350s. For example, my car came with the FR3E part # which is for a coyote.
20190218_192656.jpg

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@rick81721 Its been basically proven that the Rs use those VCT phasers while the standard 350s use the ones from the 5.0.

I do agree that it is very odd that of all of the things you could improve on the "race version" of the 350, Ford chose the cam phasers/lash adjusters. I also wonder what the advantage of them is over the standard ones, I mean its not like you see issues with the VCT phasers on all of the standard 350s that are regularly tracked. I assume @honeybadger hasn't had any problems with them and from talking to the guys at the FP racing school, they haven't had any issues either.
Cam phasers have so much downstream impact since they control timing, they could totally be responsible for a numbers of track-related engine failures. Without Ford telling us what they're finding in the engines being sent back, there's not much we can do but speculate, though.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Cam phasers have so much downstream impact since they control timing, they could totally be responsible for a numbers of track-related engine failures. Without Ford telling us what they're finding in the engines being sent back, there's not much we can do but speculate, though.
This is true but one would think if the cam phasers were in fact a weak point in the 350s, Ford would have just made the upgraded ones standard on all 350's rather than continuing to replace motors...especially considering how easily they could do that. Like you said, from here on out its all speculation. Its a shame that Ford isn't more transparent with this motor. I mean it took people cracking their motors open to discover this difference after Ford officially stating that the 350/350R have the exact same motor. Makes you wonder why they wouldn't advertise that the R has a few internal changes. The fact that Ford decided to change the phasers/lash adjusters over the OPGs does makes you wonder though.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This is true but one would think if the cam phasers were in fact a weak point in the 350s, Ford would have just made the upgraded ones standard on all 350's rather than continuing to replace motors...especially considering how easily they could do that. Like you said, from here on out its all speculation. Its a shame that Ford isn't more transparent with this motor. I mean it took people cracking their motors open to discover this difference after Ford officially stating that the 350/350R have the exact same motor. Makes you wonder why they wouldn't advertise that the R has a few internal changes. The fact that Ford decided to change the phasers/lash adjusters over the OPGs does makes you wonder though.
The GR3E phasers are almost double the cost (same with the lash adjusters). It makes sense given the low failure rates. I just don't think the justification is there. Same story with the lack of a billet OPG, etc.

Agreed on the phasers/lash adjsuters over the OPGs, though. Would be very interested in learning why that decision was made.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The GR3E phasers are almost double the cost (same with the lash adjusters). It makes sense given the low failure rates. I just don't think the justification is there. Same story with the lack of a billet OPG, etc.

Agreed on the phasers/lash adjsuters over the OPGs, though. Would be very interested in learning why that decision was made.
Yea, thats my point really, with the engine failure rates relatively low, why did Ford feel it was worth changing at all? Especially considering it costs more to do, its not advertised as a buying point for the R and its more of a headache from a manufacturing perspective (2 engines instead of 1 to sort/build). It makes no sense from a manufacturing or selling standpoint. Oh well, I'll chalk this one up to a another voodoo mystery that will likely never be solved... either way I'm loving my lowely standard 350, lol.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think you all are thinking entirely way too deep into this unless you're someone like Honeybadger who's in the engine and it's a case of might as well just deal with them because he's in there. How many cam phasers have you heard of failing in Coyotes? Is it out there? Sure, even posts on this forum about it but it is FAR from habitual.
Sponsored