Sponsored

Anyone using Girodisc's rotors on their GT350?

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What kind of lifespan are you getting out of the Brembo oem organic pads? I've really only used them for street duty and have good luck with the st-45's, although have used up half the life on a new set at a 3 day Daytona event last December. Something about going from 175+ down to 60 over and over...
On street they last quite well. On track, 3 hours for front pads and 6-7 hours for rear pads. Obviously track dependent, but this has been consistent for me at Mid-Ohio and Grattan.

What I like about the OEM pads is that they are very, very friendly on rotors. I went through three sets of front pads on track and the front rotors were still above minimum thickness and looking very healthy, with no shuddering or pulsation and no meaningful cracks.

When the pads are only $200/set and can be swapped in 15 minutes using the Caliperfexion studs and extenders, I haven't seen any reason to move into true race pads. If it were a track-only car, I would.
Sponsored

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
How do you like them? Ever compare them to the ST43s? How many days do you think you'll get out of them?
Have only used the 45's. I really like them. First set got real good wear out of them. Sebring 1.5 days, Daytona 2 days, Road Atlanta 1.5, Sebring again 1.5 - so around 6-7 days total. Sebring is near to the top as being hardest on brakes so real pleased with the first set. Second set ran hard at Daytona for 3 days and they are at half life. Am hoping to get 2 days at Barber out of them and now have gloc-18's on order for Daytona again Apr 2&3.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On street they last quite well. On track, 3 hours for front pads and 6-7 hours for rear pads. Obviously track dependent, but this has been consistent for me at Mid-Ohio and Grattan.

What I like about the OEM pads is that they are very, very friendly on rotors. I went through three sets of front pads on track and the front rotors were still above minimum thickness and looking very healthy, with no shuddering or pulsation and no meaningful cracks.

When the pads are only $200/set and can be swapped in 15 minutes using the Caliperfexion studs and extenders, I haven't seen any reason to move into true race pads. If it were a track-only car, I would.
Yep, I'm liking how the math really adds up for the OEMs. I definitely may go that route in the future, especially since I too have gotten much more comfortable and efficient at changing them out. Another benefit is that I find that the st-45's do result in the harsh dust compound to really meld with the CF wheels. At first glance, it looks like the wheel finish has been permanently marred or pitted and have to use iron x remover to get them clean. I called Carbon Revolution and they confirmed it was safe to use on the CF wheels but I'm really not keen on doing that as carbon fiber can break down when exposed to harsh chemical agents.

Just trying to keep it as simple and cost effective for the 4-5 events I do a year, but also getting the best performance possible. Probably has to be a bit of trade off there of course.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I haven't found a situation where the stock pads wouldn't engage ABS on track, even up to 150 mph on a hot day, so I think they are fine for any DE purposes. If you're endurance racing, forget it.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to Hijack the thread, but some of us are doing the FIRM this Sat, Feb 15th, if you are interested.

Jim
Nice seeing all the Mustangs at the FIRM this past Saturday. I ran a couple of sessions and success! Removing the glaze from the st45 pads and spending a bit more 'burnishing in' time on the oem smooth rotors did the trick. Nothing like having confidence in the brakes to make a track day enjoyable. That being said, have ordered a set of Girodiscs for the front from frozen rotors and have a set of glock-18's on hand to use when needed.

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Nice seeing all the Mustangs at the FIRM this past Saturday. I ran a couple of sessions and success! Removing the glaze from the st45 pads and spending a bit more 'burnishing in' time on the oem smooth rotors did the trick. Nothing like having confidence in the brakes to make a track day enjoyable. That being said, have ordered a set of Girodiscs for the front from frozen rotors and have a set of glock-18's on hand to use when needed.
Great seeing you also Patrick.

Glad you got it figured out. We had a great time and the weather was great.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I am struggling to find solid rotors in stock. How did you like the Girodisc vs OEM?

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am struggling to find solid rotors in stock. How did you like the Girodisc vs OEM?
Honestly, can't tell the difference. Have used the OEM 2019 smooth version and now the Girodisc frozen rotors version and both are good. It looks like White Bear Lake Ford has the 2019 oem smooth at $217 each, which is the way I'd go.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I am….whats the question

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, can't tell the difference. Have used the OEM 2019 smooth version and now the Girodisc frozen rotors version and both are good. It looks like White Bear Lake Ford has the 2019 oem smooth at $217 each, which is the way I'd go.
Beginning of the year, I ordered new fronts for my 19 from White Bear Ford.

When I recieved them, they were the older style, drilled rotors.

Being in a crunch and needing the rotors I installed them. Had the drilled on my 16 and never had issues.
Sponsored