Sponsored

Anyone using Girodisc's rotors on their GT350?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
let us know your results. Do you think they lasted less time the drilled or you are using more brakes now than before?
They definitely lasted less than the cross-drilled. Really disappointed in them. 1.5 days and they looked like this
20190810_194120.jpg
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Which tracks were you running that caused that level of wear?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Appreciate the data. I have 1.5 sets of oem front pads and just put in new rear pads, so about 8-9 track days for me and I’ll be trying the 19 flat rotors with st43 pads (which like you experience will wear rotors faster than oem pads). I have maybe 14 or 15 days on oem drilled, Should get 8 more and they they are probably toast. Expecting less with st43. I do less aggressive braking tracks than Cota for sure though.

I’d like to run R rubber but considering I keep getting cup 2 for $200 older or lightly used I can’t justify the cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’d like to run R rubber but considering I keep getting cup 2 for $200 older or lightly used I can’t justify the cost.
I'm doing the same. Just bought a set of those 2015 Cup2s because they're a great deal...hard to justify Hoosier money when you get an entire set for $800.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I'm doing the same. Just bought a set of those 2015 Cup2s because they're a great deal...hard to justify Hoosier money when you get an entire set for $800.
The problem is there are zero deals to be had on Hoosiers, so ya $800 vs $2200 is a huge difference, even presuming equal wear life which I’m not sure is true.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
They definitely lasted less than the cross-drilled. Really disappointed in them. 1.5 days and they looked like this
20190810_194120.jpg
Have you noticed any performance issues relative to the OEM drilled? I recently switched from the drilled (2018 oem) to smooth (2019 oem) and had a problem with the st-45 pads getting glazed on a shake down track day. Fairly sure it must be related to not burnishing in the rotors sufficiently, but am thinking the holes may have also allowed for the pad to be continually 'resurfaced', preventing the glazing effect. The result was lack of bit and limited stopping power.

Not sure if I should pull the smooth rotors and switch to the girodisc or give them another shot. I've removed the glaze from the pads by scraping on a paved concrete surface, which seemed to do the trick.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I find this fascinating. Every engineer I've ever spoken with, and my own experience on other cars, supports the idea that solid-face rotors perform as well or better, but it seems in this case the "marketing holes" in the rotors may have actually done some good.

I bought replacement front rotors for my R before the solid 2019+ rotors were available, so I guess I don't have to worry about it for awhile. I'll just live with the rapid pad wear, which really doesn't bother me given how cheap the stockers are.

Sponsored

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find this fascinating. Every engineer I've ever spoken with, and my own experience on other cars, supports the idea that solid-face rotors perform as well or better, but it seems in this case the "marketing holes" in the rotors may have actually done some good.

I bought replacement front rotors for my R before the solid 2019+ rotors were available, so I guess I don't have to worry about it for awhile. I'll just live with the rapid pad wear, which really doesn't bother me given how cheap the stockers are.
What kind of lifespan are you getting out of the Brembo oem organic pads? I've really only used them for street duty and have good luck with the st-45's, although have used up half the life on a new set at a 3 day Daytona event last December. Something about going from 175+ down to 60 over and over...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Have you noticed any performance issues relative to the OEM drilled? I recently switched from the drilled (2018 oem) to smooth (2019 oem) and had a problem with the st-45 pads getting glazed on a shake down track day. Fairly sure it must be related to not burnishing in the rotors sufficiently, but am thinking the holes may have also allowed for the pad to be continually 'resurfaced', preventing the glazing effect. The result was lack of bit and limited stopping power.

Not sure if I should pull the smooth rotors and switch to the girodisc or give them another shot. I've removed the glaze from the pads by scraping on a paved concrete surface, which seemed to do the trick.
I have not. I'll go on record to retract some of complaints about the solid rotors.They haven't really changed in condition and I've put another (4) days on them. I have about 10 total and think I might get 1-2 more. I'm a bit impressed. It seems they might last a longer - just not anymore resistant to initial cracking.

But to answer your question directly, no issues here. I use the ST43s and haven't had any issue. How hot do you get them? I get mine really, really hot every time I go to COTA, so they're always nice and "clean." What mode do you run? Could also be a result of riding the brakes a bit...but can't say for sure since I don't know your driving style.

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not. I'll go on record to retract some of complaints about the solid rotors.They haven't really changed in condition and I've put another (4) days on them. I have about 10 total and think I might get 1-2 more. I'm a bit impressed. It seems they might last a longer - just not anymore resistant to initial cracking.

But to answer your question directly, no issues here. I use the ST43s and haven't had any issue. How hot do you get them? I get mine really, really hot every time I go to COTA, so they're always nice and "clean." What mode do you run? Could also be a result of riding the brakes a bit...but can't say for sure since I don't know your driving style.
Good feedback, thanks. Yes, I'm thinking the recent issue was more related to the nature of the circuit (the FIRM). It is notoriously tough on brakes (& tires), often referred to as a 'mini-Sebring'. Lots of moderate to heavy braking with not much cool down stretches. I've done quite a few circuits (Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, etc.) where the stock drilled rotors with the ST-45's have performed very well. Just had this recent problem with the new smooth rotors so am really leaning towards 'not getting them burnished in well enough' as the answer. I'll give it another shot there this weekend as need to get it sorted before a trip to Barber MP at end of Feb. Thanks again.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Good feedback, thanks. Yes, I'm thinking the recent issue was more related to the nature of the circuit (the FIRM). It is notoriously tough on brakes (& tires), often referred to as a 'mini-Sebring'. Lots of moderate to heavy braking with not much cool down stretches. I've done quite a few circuits (Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, etc.) where the stock drilled rotors with the ST-45's have performed very well. Just had this recent problem with the new smooth rotors so am really leaning towards 'not getting them burnished in well enough' as the answer. I'll give it another shot there this weekend as need to get it sorted before a trip to Barber MP at end of Feb. Thanks again.
Not to Hijack the thread, but some of us are doing the FIRM this Sat, Feb 15th, if you are interested.

Jim

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How do you like them? Ever compare them to the ST43s? How many days do you think you'll get out of them?
Sponsored