Sponsored

Anyone using Ford Performance Parts M-1700-M - Ford Performance Parts Mustang Tie-Down Kits To strap down their R?

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
Just picked up a Bear Track aluminum tilt trailer and a set of Race Ramps. It currently has D-rings front and back, but no E-track. I don't want to run my Mac straps through the carbon wheels. I was wondering if the Ford Performance tie downs work with the R due to its ride height and large front splitter. Not sure if I need to install E-track, or if I can get by with installing the tie downs on my '17 R.
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Just picked up a Bear Track aluminum tilt trailer and a set of Race Ramps. It currently has D-rings front and back, but no E-track. I don't want to run my Mac straps through the carbon wheels. I was wondering if the Ford Performance tie downs work with the R due to its ride height and large front splitter. Not sure if I need to install E-track, or if I can get by with installing the tie downs on my '17 R.
I run mine through the wheels with the MACs padded straps. I would prefer Etrack and wheel nets but not in the cards right now. Several thoughts on the tie downs but my thoughts is I want the suspension to work and I have the car in Neutral

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
I don't have an R, but I am running the FP tiedown kit on my car. It has FP springs on it so ride height is similar to an R. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've done both and I prefer the hooks on the bottom of the car. I've had too many times where the started to move around because the straps loosened up. "Going through the wheels" always resulted in a little bit of loosening and if I forgot to put the car in gear, it was just enough that I could feel the car shift around a bit as I accelerated/braked. That went away when I switched to the hooks.

Also a bonus that I don't burn myself on hot rotors anymore. I just bonk my head on the mirror now.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I've done both and I prefer the hooks on the bottom of the car. I've had too many times where the started to move around because the straps loosened up. "Going through the wheels" always resulted in a little bit of loosening and if I forgot to put the car in gear, it was just enough that I could feel the car shift around a bit as I accelerated/braked. That went away when I switched to the hooks.

Also a bonus that I don't burn myself on hot rotors anymore. I just bonk my head on the mirror now.
Odd, just towed my car from Wisconsin to las Vegas and back. I always check the car at every stop was never able to get more than 1 or 2 clicks on a strap after 4 hours of driving down roads that were not always the best. I do cross both front and rear straps. I do agree that having to wait a while (ok, a long while) to allow brakes to cool sucks. And that's why I would prefer over the tire nets and E-Track

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
I use the M-1700s. No issues on a non-R. And in looking at it, there is room to spare for the R splitter.

OP
OP

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
Thanks for all the input. I have always went through the wheel on my '69 Firebird, '16 GT350, and '15 Z/28....but there is no way I want to risk anything happening to my carbon wheels!
Sponsored