Sponsored

Anyone use Mykey for service appt on their 350?

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I think you're being more concerned than you need to be. Just take note of the mileage.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think you're being more concerned than you need to be. Just take note of the mileage.
You can have a lot of fun with a car and not have to go far....

Yetitime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pak
I think part of it is the relationship you try to form with the dealer. I went in to the dealer I use, had a sit down with the service manager and foreman. I was guaranteed that they only have one person that is authorized to move the car and perform maintenance on the GT350 at this dealer. Met him by name and actually talked to them face to face helped me become a bit more comfortable.

I was able to look through the window and into the bay and visually see everything that went on. Over time I may be comfortable to leave it there.

I agree its difficult to know what may go on when you leave a car there, I have the luxury have taking time off for my service appointments.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The rarity of your car being abused is totally washed away by forum posters amplifying a concern that you really shouldn't have if you think about it. It happens, yea. But not as often as the internet makes you think - not nearly as often - it barely ever happens, ever.

Now, a tech took a member of my club's car for an unnecessary ride at a dealer here in Atlanta and the guy was straight fired - done.

And if your car gets a couple revs... oh no.

I'm just as worried about my regular old GT. And I wish MyKey would have a rev limiter associated with it (but that'd be a potential liability on Ford if an accident occurred because someone was unable to avoid a situation on account of the rev limiter... same reason you can't auto-roll up your windows, crush baby fingers).

Dealers are on such a time crunch all the YouTube videos that freak people out (which are a negligible fraction of a percent of all service instances) just don't add up to what is actually taking place in the 99% world. Your car is being driven by a porter to the shop. It's being worked on and validated (we can argue about the quality of said work at a dealer some other time) and then it's parked. When you come to get it, it's brought to you. If you go in for something they need to test drive it for, it'll go out for a spin and they'll be focused on replicating your issue. If it breaks in their hands, it's on them. If it crashes in their hands, it's on them. Dealership management is not interested in insurance premium hikes or paying out of pocket for damage from abuse and they make that clear to their techs.

It can happen, but it's probably not going to happen.

OP
OP
1BlackSheep

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 Expedition
I'm just as worried about my regular old GT. And I wish MyKey would have a rev limiter associated with it (but that'd be a potential liability on Ford if an accident occurred because someone was unable to avoid a situation on account of the rev limiter... same reason you can't auto-roll up your windows, crush baby fingers).

If it crashes in their hands, it's on them. Dealership management is not interested in insurance premium hikes or paying out of pocket for damage from abuse and they make that clear to their techs.

[MENTION=20385]geb78[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION] and others, thanks for the level headed insights..

As suggested, my 1st service appt went exceptionally well with my service manager, Chris, being a car lover and race driver who loves the GT350 line. He personally saw that my car was kept inside and taken care of from the time I dropped it off until I picked it up. The dealer has 3 certified Shelby mechanics who are the only ones to touch/work on the 350's. It couldn't have been better. Very professional and even comped the state inspection and emissions even though I didn't buy the car there.

Kudos to them. Hope this helps others with any anxiety...

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The rarity of your car being abused is totally washed away by forum posters amplifying a concern that you really shouldn't have if you think about it. It happens, yea. But not as often as the internet makes you think - not nearly as often - it barely ever happens, ever.

Now, a tech took a member of my club's car for an unnecessary ride at a dealer here in Atlanta and the guy was straight fired - done.

And if your car gets a couple revs... oh no.

Dealers are on such a time crunch all the YouTube videos that freak people out (which are a negligible fraction of a percent of all service instances) just don't add up to what is actually taking place in the 99% world. Your car is being driven by a porter to the shop. It's being worked on and validated (we can argue about the quality of said work at a dealer some other time) and then it's parked. When you come to get it, it's brought to you. If you go in for something they need to test drive it for, it'll go out for a spin and they'll be focused on replicating your issue. If it breaks in their hands, it's on them. If it crashes in their hands, it's on them. Dealership management is not interested in insurance premium hikes or paying out of pocket for damage from abuse and they make that clear to their techs.

You couldnt be more misinformed. Ive been in the dealership settings for 3 decades as a master tech. Mistreating customers cars happen enitely too often. Even by shop foreman.

Even damage on cars while working on them, then the tech not saying anything hoping it goes unnoticed. Sometimes its the techs that say nothing, other times the service advisor is told but choses to do nothing unless confronted. You have dealers all wrong

Always, always inspect your car before signing anything taking the keys back. Its more of a pain to get things corrected after youve left the lot and got it home.

There is times nothing happen. Dont misunderstand but its not worth the headache and time to assume everything will be fine typically.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Yeah. Mileage and MPG. I once noticed a 5 mpg drop (18 to 13) on my '11 GT500 after a service visit for an oil change. I reset the trip computer at every fill up and was at half a tank, so I know whoever took it out for the test drive after the oil change had some fun. While I didn't appreciate it, it didn't hurt anything. The car was made to be driven hard. So is yours.

If it really bothers you, just tell the service manager that you don't want it driven and take a pic of the odometer when you take it in for service.
Sponsored