Sponsored

Anyone try Removing the Chrome Trim Around the Taillights?

DanielIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT w/ 50th Anniversary Pack
Vehicle Showcase
I did a search but no results came up for any threads on the topic I'm curious about. I'd like to get rid of my chrome accents, and by get rid of, I mean simply take off to change the color. Does anyone know of a good and safe way to remove the chrome trim around the taillights?

Thanks,
Daniel :cheers:
Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
I would suggest you try and sell your existing light modules and then buy the non-LE modules from Ford.

The LE modules list for about $1700 and the regular ones about $900-$1000. (That's for each module, not a set!)

Might be able to make some money on them. Sure is easier than trying to disassemble the module. Swap is easy, except for having to remove the sub-woofer on cars equipped with them.

OP
OP
DanielIvan

DanielIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest you try and sell your existing light modules and then buy the non-LE modules from Ford.

The LE modules list for about $1700 and the regular ones about $900-$1000. (That's for each module, not a set!)
Thanks for the response. I am aware of how expensive these lights can be, even the non LE version. I decided to just work on the car. Had a shop do this.

Liquid Vinyl (or a high end version of plasti-dip whichever you prefer to call it). Came out very good I think. It color shifts gold and green depending on the lighting and all the chrome trim was done this way.
IMG_3509.JPG

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I traded my stock GT's for a set of the 50th appearance package with the trim. I love the look of the chrome on my DIB car. My concern is if I ever have a warranty issue, will they swap out with what my car came with? Can I pay the difference and get what I have?

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Not sure. They are a Ford part, but as a replacement part they would probably only have a 90 day Warranty. If you can convince them it's a replacement part. As LEDs, they should last well beyond the Warranty of the car. If you are in an accident, the insurance company should replace them with whatever you have on the car, so take a lot of photos and show us some here.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Here's an older photo. I've replaced the GT panel with a Howler badge.

I'd go take a current photo, but we're in the middle of a hurricane. :D

Reactions: JWS

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
Any idea if the chrome trim is able to be separated from the tail lights? Not permanently, but just to remove and paint and then reinstall.

I plasti-dipped the trim on car, but I'm thinking of taking them apart so I can get a better/cleaner paint job than on-car allowed me.

If anyone doesn't know, I guess I'll end up being the guinea pig and try it myself :cool:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
No, it appears to be molded onto the lens assembly. Honestly, I was waiting on the aftermarket to come out with a chrome trim, but they never did, so I swapped.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DanielIvan

DanielIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea if the chrome trim is able to be separated from the tail lights? Not permanently, but just to remove and paint and then reinstall.

I plasti-dipped the trim on car, but I'm thinking of taking them apart so I can get a better/cleaner paint job than on-car allowed me.

If anyone doesn't know, I guess I'll end up being the guinea pig and try it myself :cool:
If you are trying to be the pioneer, be very careful. These 50th anniversary taillights are not cheap. Last I heard, the chrome had little plastic welds around it similar to the factory hood vents. I can't say for sure though. Let us know your findings!

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
Yeah that's what I figured, it would be plastic welds. Since I have an answer from a couple guys now, no sense trying to dismantle it myself. I'm not going to destroy some $1800 tail lights or whatever they cost lol.

I don't want to swap to a non-50th just because of the resale down the road. I'll cover the crap up with plastidip but I don't want to get rid of it permanently.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For those looking, you can find the LE and non-LE rear tails on eBay for very good pricing, both for new and used. The prices are far lower than trying to buy them via a Ford Dealer.

Also regarding the LE chrome trim, there are now some vendors on eBay selling a chrome trim accent that can be placed on the non-LE tails. I am not sure how it fastens (probably 3M tape) or how well it looks in person, but I guess that's another less expensive option to the real LE tails (for those wanting a chrome highlight).

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
That chrome trim on the taillight bezel is just a foil film. It can probably be removed with something like a hobby knife. When I bought mine, there was a 3-4inch strip of chrome tape stuck to my left taillight and I had to remove it and tuck the excess back up around and out of sight. I bet a heat gun and some gentle massaging with a sharp blade could lift it. It would be a permanent removal though.

Shawnmills

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Edition
I did a search but no results came up for any threads on the topic I'm curious about. I'd like to get rid of my chrome accents, and by get rid of, I mean simply take off to change the color. Does anyone know of a good and safe way to remove the chrome trim around the taillights?

Thanks,
Daniel :cheers:

Just curious, has anyone else had problems trying to find tinted tail light covers for their 50th? Every website I visit has the fine line 'excludes 50th anniversary edition'. Is this why you want to swap out the factory?
Sponsored