Sponsored

Anyone traded over from a 996/997 Turbo?

Jakl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've been looking at a track and weekend car for some time now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Lightning Blue non-R but the Recaros are just too snug for me in the legs. I've found a few leftover cars with the convenience pkg but during my search my wife keyed in on my frustration and asked "What about a Porsche?" I hadn't even considered one but damn if she doesn't have good taste in cars. Call me crazy but I've always had a crush on the 996 Turbo and GT3 cars, headlights and all. And for the price of an MSRP non-R you can find a clean 996 X50 or in some cases a 997. So my question to y'all is who has made the trade over from one of those cars to the GT350? I understand the disparity in age, but everything else lines up really: performance, cost of entry, looks (although subjective), but for the around 60k for a weekend driver and occasional track car, which way to go?
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Between the 996 or 997, I recommend to go 997.2 Turbo first and then 997.1 second..... obviosly maintenance history, upkeep, provenance, and accident-free are important factors but the Mezger engines are quite robust and race proven. Get a PPI for sure. To me it's worth the effort and perseverance to find a manual Turbo 997 gem.... and if you ever need a carfax, just pm me the vin(s) & your email.

OP
OP
Jakl

Jakl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Between the 996 or 997, I recommend to go 997.2 Turbo first and then 997.1 second..... obviosly maintenance history, upkeep, provenance, and accident-free are important factors but the Mezger engines are quite robust and race proven. Get a PPI for sure. To me it's worth the effort and perseverance to find a manual Turbo 997 gem.... and if you ever need a carfax, just pm me the vin(s) & your email.
I appreciate the input! PPI will definitely happen before may preowned purchase like this. Being that the 996 is also Mezger engine, what would drive you towards the 997? Looks? Updated AWD?

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I appreciate the input! PPI will definitely happen before may preowned purchase like this. Being that the 996 is also Mezger engine, what would drive you towards the 997? Looks? Updated AWD?
Nearly everything really. Fixes, improvements, and lessons learned from the 996 made way into the 997. In fact some of the recommended upgrades for the 996 are directly from the 997 parts bin. Lots of info on Rennlist.com and Renntech... as you know, definitely do your homework...

https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/252-the-porsche-996-twin-turbo-potential-issues/

https://www.total911.com/opinion-seven-reasons-the-997-is-the-best-generation-911/

https://rennlist.com/articles/997-1-vs-997-2-rennlisters-debate-the-merits-of-each/

Last edited:

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I was cross shopping a Porsche, or at least tried to. I tried finding a 997.2 and it seems like nothing can be found NEW at the same price of the R at sticker. Then all the specialty models are well over 80-100k

Sponsored

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I've owned 2x 996 turbos (one built monster) and a 997 GT3. Tracked all of them and damn are they expensive to keep up. The built turbo was a 6 month affair and got away from her as fast as I could. The 997 was really a nice car and better than both turbos in every way. They always say go as new as you can afford and get the best PPI available. PPIs really don't say enough though.

I was done throwing money away and decided I needed a new toy that scratched all of the itches. The GT350(R) should certainly help... still wainting for dealership to release it to me.

If you do go with a turbo suggest getting one with less mods.
Good luck!

Last edited:

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mclaren 720s,X5,17 Raptor,c63s edeition1,1098SFS
I have a 997.1 with basic tune, exhaust and clutch upgrades. Also have tpc suspension upgrade and several other things done. If you want to point it, wait for some lag, then feel hand-of-God torque, the turbo is the way to go. If you want it to handle well, forget it. The new focus rs beats the 997tt around VIR now lol. The gt350 is miles ahead of the 997 other than straight ahead torque. The 997 will also be much more to maintain. Mine is 10 years old and has been super reliable, but there is some induced anxiety every time it's driven a bit hard.

kansasgt350r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Just moved from a 991.1 Turbo S to a GT350R and love it! No regrets. Love the sound and the manual gearbox. While the 911 has classic styling esp from the front, I love the way the GT350R looks and handles.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
After having my GT350 I wouldn't go back to a GT3. Especially using the car for DD duty. Maintenance? No comparison, Porsche absolutely rapes their customers.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I really wanted a 997.1 with a manual trans but couldn't find one with lower miles in the price range I was looking for. If you are really planning on tracking it, why not consider a Cayman?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jakl

Jakl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I really wanted a 997.1 with a manual trans but couldn't find one with lower miles in the price range I was looking for. If you are really planning on tracking it, why not consider a Cayman?
Need 4 seats incase I have to pick up my kid in a pinch

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
There's only one option.....get both. American/Euro Muscle combined is bliss.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I was considering a used 997 Turbo before I purchased my GT350. Truth is, I think both is the correct answer. Made more sense to get the GT350 now since I wanted to take care of it from the start. Second hand Porsche cars seem more likely to be properly maintained vs the wildcard GT350. Guess in a few years I'll see how I still feel!

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
There's only one option.....get both. American/Euro Muscle combined is bliss.
Amen. So true though.... :D

Here's a 2009 997.2 Turbo I like... dealer won't budge on price though as I know someone who was seriously interested awhile ago and they wouldn't take much off, if any, on their asking price. Rare/unique specs... so they have leverage. And it's a nice car...

[ame]
Sponsored