Sponsored

Anyone trade their GT350R for a Cayman GT4?

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Why not both! Not much else to add what hasn't really been said. I love em both....

20191015_191756.jpg
I am with Joshua. It's the best of both worlds, and a great place to be.
2cars.jpg

Some days you like "balls on fire" and other days you like German sports car comfort and performance.

I'd keep the 350R and buy a Porsche sports car.
Sponsored

faser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
I am with Joshua. It's the best of both worlds, and a great place to be.
2cars.jpg

Some days you like "balls on fire" and other days you like German sports car comfort and performance.

I'd keep the 350R and buy a Porsche sports car.
This combination will work my friend. Lots to be proud of there. Good job!

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Loving everyone's opinion so far! Thank you for taking the time!

joshua80...well...you drive both back to back. Which one do you prefer? Do you track them both? Let's get some real world feedback from you!

Here is how I would configure my GT4-> http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJ4Q7S2

I think the track times between a GT4 and a GT350R are going to be extremely close to each other. I think it comes down to which one is going to be more fun on the limit.

I have never owned a Porsche. I always dreamed of owning a 911 GT3. When the GT350R was released I saw that as a close competitor at half the price. 8000+ redline, 500+ hp, track tuned car that is fun to drive. All boxes checked. The 911 GT3 did all of this at 500 lbs+ less, but double the price. The one thing I see as the biggest problem with this GT350R, GT500, ZL1 1LE, and even the new Z06 is curb weight. Cars are getting so heavy. If you have never driven a 2400 lbs. (or less) balanced track car, you really don't know what you are missing. I know a GT4 is not 2400 lbs, but it is 600 lbs. lighter than the GT350. It does make a difference.

I could keep the GT350R and pick up a GT4. I am concerned with owning these cars outside of warranty. I also own a 2007 S2000, 2005 Nissan 350z (Gutted track car for GLTC and Champ Car) and a 2021 Civic Type R. I could sell one of those and pick up the GT4. I just feel guilty to be honest. I have never bought a car to look cool or for prestige. I buy cars that make me happy when i drive them. The GT350R is a riot. I am sure the GT4 will be as well....such a hard decision!
Just my two cents. Last weekend I beat all but 1 Porsche, a GT3. I'm no expert driver. Nor are the other drivers. All I've done is a suspension tune and 305/315 staggered on my 350.

You're going to love either car each for its own reasons. Same think I had with my FoST and my Hellcat . I'd expect to be treated like a king buying a Porsche. Probably not so much with any Ford haha

Just pull the trigger and post up photos once you get it!

Prefo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 and 2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Hey all!

I love my GT350R!

Seriously considering selling my 2016 GT350R for a new 718 Porsche GT4 w a manual for a couple reasons:

1. Out of warranty issues a d expense w the GT350R
2. Weight...the GT4 is 600 lbs lighter than a GT350R. Should go through less consumables on track

Man...tough decision.

Anyone done it and regret/love their decision?

Mike
Buy a new Z dude over a VW. 0-60 will be in the mid 3's and for a ton less. However, I'd keep that GT350 all day long. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong.

Sponsored

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Have you posted the same question on a Porsche forum? If not, why not? (think about it)

OP
OP
dsm_mikey

dsm_mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I have not posted it on Rennlist. I have read through comments on the GT350R on Rennlist. A lot of respect for the GT350R over there...but most people prefer the lightness and quality of the Porsche. I am looking for feedback from people that are like me that bought a GT350R and are looking for a GT4 or have purchased a GT4. Looking to see if people are missing the GT350R and wish they wouldn't have / or are glad they made the change. I know if I make the change, it is unlikely I will be able to go back to a GT350R.

I think the cars are pretty evenly matched on a racetrack. Similar power to weigh with edge going to the GT350R and similar track times. Again, for me it is the mid-engine platform and the 600 lbs. of lighter weight that is appealing with the GT4. It is not about being the fastest guy on the track. I really don't care, I truly love being on track. I love driving well balanced cars that come alive while pushed. Both the GT350R and the Cayman GT4 fall into this category.

I think the GT350R is an amazing machine and is an amazing effort by FORD considering a Mustang is matching (or beating) times of a Mid-Engined, lightweight, Porsche sportscar.

I am really going back and forth with this. If the new Cayman GT4 was an even trade, I wouldn't even be considering it. I would make the change today. I have the GT350R paid off, I race with Champ Car, and I only do about 6 HPDE events a year outside of racing where I would use this car. The GT4 is going to cost at least an additional $60K to buy over and above the GT350R I own that is still under warranty for 2 1/2 more years.

I love the idea of owning a Porsche Gt car. It has always been a dream of mine. The GT350R is a great substitute, but it is still not the same. Sometimes dreams are not what people expect when they come true...I still haven't made a decision.

The other piece of the puzzle is how much is a 2016 GT350R with 7000 miles worth? I really have no idea what people are paying. It seems like people really want 2019's or 2020's and think the 2016's and 2017's are bad?

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback on this topic! I will obviously let everyone know which way I go. If I keep the GT350R, I am going to use it much more this year than last!

Mike

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I don't have personal experience with this, but I've had a few friends make the jump (both ways). From what I've seen, it typically boils down to:

1. If you're Porsche fan that jumps into the GT350R because you want something a bit more raw, you love it for the time you've had it, but you end up going back to Porsche for the refinement, performance, and reliability.

2. If you're a Ford/American Muscle fan that wants to step up to the Porsche level, it's fun for a while, but eventually the cost and lack of DIY serviceability along with missing the Ford community pulls you back.

My guess is your answer will depend on which one of those group you fall into more.
That’s spot on!
I’m right there. I had a 2017 GT350. Traded up to a 2018 R. After a few years I wanted something different and added a 2016 981 GT4 for a new experience. I could not bring myself to get rid of the R. I love the new experience of the GT4 But I want to trade the GT4 for a 2022 GT500 …

A few thoughts.

2018 GT350R
-My R is more raw and sounds amazing. Power is better and brakes have better “power” feel.
- Track consumables can get expensive and tires only last a weekend. :(
- Weight transfer on track is like voodoo and black magic that defies the weight.
- power delivery makes it fun on the street and track. It is so different from 3,000 to 5,000 rpm it makes it fun. The GT4 power delivery is similar, but less special and feels muted compared to the GT350.
- the GT350R just feels more special and I like it more for its “flaws”.

2016: 981 GT4:
GT4 is best steering turn in and rotation I’ve ever felt. If I lived in the mountains it would be useable every day and would be the best drivers experience. I would want to drive it where it is special, in turns.
- Lighter weight and driving position is amazing.
-Carbon buckets are amazing to sit in but hard to get into. Think race car.
- no backup camera on a $100k car sucks.
- the more I drive it, the more I appreciate the small things and attention to detail. It feels better built and less fragile than the GT350.
- sound system is better than the GT350, but the cabin noise from road NVH is way louder and makes it tiring on longer drives.
- Cayman mid engine mechanical noise and flat six sound is a sweet symphony and almost as nice as the voodoo v8. Just different. I do like that the cabin noise is almost as loud when the exhaust valves are closed but you don’t piss off the neighbored. The GT350 only sounds good with valves open and can’t fly stealth while enjoying it. But that “bonus” of cabin engine noise means it’s always there and can wear on you over a long drive.
- ride is quite good and almost as smooth as the GT350, but not quite.
- if you like it the way it is, then you will appreciate the build and balance. But mods can be cost prohibitive.
- the GT4 is a proper sports car. Well built and feels good. Even the radio buttons feel amazing!

I live in a flat area, so the curve cutting GT4 is wasted. So I’m getting a GT500 next… but still keeping the GT350R.

I think I’m starting to see why people who have tons of cars often say “if I had to pick one, it would be the GT350”.

Last edited:

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I like driving my GT350 over my previous 981 GT4 around town. Will have to see about the track in a month or so. A GT4 RS would be a whole different ball of wax. I think I had regrets about not buying a 911. Had come from a really built 930 before the GT4 and as great as the mid engine set up was it didn’t feel all that special to me. I wanted a V8 so I bought the Shelby. Looked at the Zo6 and ZL1 but was drawn to the Shelby. When C8 Z06s become attainable I’ll likely flip to one of those. Unless you plan to be purchasing your ‘forever car’ you may be over thinking it. Lots of great cars out there…

Couple of final thoughts… if you plan to track it, skip the carbon ceramics. Eye watering replacement cost. If you plan to do modifications get ready to spend 2x- 3x what you would on the mustang.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
The rear suspension is what bugged me quite a bit as well on my 2017 I had. I think you are right -the combination between too soft bushings, shock calibration and springs does not quite work right. It was too imprecise. I tried to make it better by getting better springs etc and while it felt better it was not right 100%. That until I drove an R later and to be honest the way the rear end feels is night and day. For my needs it is really good. It is what really sold the car to me (now Ford messed with it for 2019+ cars but have not driven one to say how it feels). Still some opportunities on the bushings for the rear cradle for example but the rear end feels a lot more composed out of the gate. Now the 982 chasis and the way it is tuned is pretty amazing no matter which motor you put in it. And you got the best one so far. Enjoy the GT4!
I noticed the same vague feeling in the rear end of my GT350. Then I went to the GT350R and the rear felt much better. Then I added a rear subframe stiffener from BMR and it feels great now. No rear end complaints any more.
Still my GT4 feels more tuned.

Sponsored

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have not posted it on Rennlist. I have read through comments on the GT350R on Rennlist. A lot of respect for the GT350R over there...but most people prefer the lightness and quality of the Porsche. I am looking for feedback from people that are like me that bought a GT350R and are looking for a GT4 or have purchased a GT4. Looking to see if people are missing the GT350R and wish they wouldn't have / or are glad they made the change. I know if I make the change, it is unlikely I will be able to go back to a GT350R.

I think the cars are pretty evenly matched on a racetrack. Similar power to weigh with edge going to the GT350R and similar track times. Again, for me it is the mid-engine platform and the 600 lbs. of lighter weight that is appealing with the GT4. It is not about being the fastest guy on the track. I really don't care, I truly love being on track. I love driving well balanced cars that come alive while pushed. Both the GT350R and the Cayman GT4 fall into this category.

I think the GT350R is an amazing machine and is an amazing effort by FORD considering a Mustang is matching (or beating) times of a Mid-Engined, lightweight, Porsche sportscar.

I am really going back and forth with this. If the new Cayman GT4 was an even trade, I wouldn't even be considering it. I would make the change today. I have the GT350R paid off, I race with Champ Car, and I only do about 6 HPDE events a year outside of racing where I would use this car. The GT4 is going to cost at least an additional $60K to buy over and above the GT350R I own that is still under warranty for 2 1/2 more years.

I love the idea of owning a Porsche Gt car. It has always been a dream of mine. The GT350R is a great substitute, but it is still not the same. Sometimes dreams are not what people expect when they come true...I still haven't made a decision.

The other piece of the puzzle is how much is a 2016 GT350R with 7000 miles worth? I really have no idea what people are paying. It seems like people really want 2019's or 2020's and think the 2016's and 2017's are bad?

Thank you all for your opinions and feedback on this topic! I will obviously let everyone know which way I go. If I keep the GT350R, I am going to use it much more this year than last!

Mike

In 2020 this wouldnt hvae been a debate. I found a 2016 GT4, 30k miles, great owner for 76k. GT350R were 57-65k at the time. In todays world, completely different issue. I didnt know what i wanted then, and ended up with the R and am very happy. I'd love to have the option to have both.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Change a tire on a porsche and the 350....German cars suck...wheel bolts instead of studs....total pain in the ass!!

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Change a tire on a porsche and the 350....German cars suck...wheel bolts instead of studs....total pain in the ass!!

I just used a metal wheel hanger, but without ,much pain.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I got to pick on you bullet point a :)

There are many cars way less than $55k with better fit and finish than our GT350s. My 2017 Fiesta ST is one such example: the bumpers are not sagging and are properly aligned, the paint is in a different league better than my GT350, and general fit and finish inside and out is very good. It matters to take pride in what you build and apparently that is something Flat Rock forgot how to do (hint Fiesta was not made there).
The average KIA Sonata has a better fit and finish than a Mustang sad to say.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I have lots of autocross time in both the 718 GT4 (PDK) and my '20 350R.

The GT4 is certainly a better AX car, but IMO only because of weight. You are physically closer to the front wheels. That, and the low polar moment, makes the car fell like it is rotating around you. It is intoxicating. The steering is surgically precise and allows you to position your wheels very close to the cones on the course. The suspension, even with PDCC on, feels firm but not harsh.

Yet, it still feels like Porsche held back because of the 911 GT3. Don't get me wrong, the power is much better than the 981 model, but it's still not quite there. I think the RS model will finally get closer to that ideal with the GT3 4.0, but it is still on struts while the 992 gets double wishbones. Can you imagine a 718 with the GT3 mill, double wishbones AND rear wheel steering? Nevertheless, the GT4 is amazing and you can drive it daily, if you want to.

The GT350R, on the other hand, is a beast in the AX. it doesn't have the steering feel of the GT4, but it is close. It has huge grip, much more than what you would expect. It is harder to reach the magical ten tenths because it doesn't communicate as well as the GT4. You think you're there, but then you know there is more on the table. I kinda like that mystery. Then there is the sound. It's like bottled fury. It really makes you think you're in a race car. The R feels big, but dances like it's lighter. Of all the people I've given rides to, it is the 350 they remember, not the Porsche. It just swaggers and snorts and puts a big grin on your face.

So the GT4 is the better car overall, but IMO lacks the charisma and soul of the 350. Hard choice. A testament to Ford to build a car that could pull you away from a Porsche. That is an achievement.
Sponsored