Sponsored

Anyone trade down from a GT to an Ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The GT is a waste of money. The EB/PP auto is the superior mustang sub GT350. With a $700 tune from FP the EB is as fast as a GT with better handling and lower cost of ownership. Running 87 will decrease power slightly for commuting to work.

A stock EB/PP auto is less than a second behind the GT/PP in quarter mile and .7 seconds 0-60. With a tune and lighter front end the EB is clearly the better car.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/perfor...mustang-gt-versus-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost/
1) What happens when one tunes the GT? $700 gets you a used SCT X4 an intake and tune. Maybe even used 47 lb injectors. So you've got an E85 GT vs a tune only EB?

2) .7 seconds is quite a bit of time when going head to head. That's actually a couple car lengths. Doesn't seem like much when you are reading a magazine, but when you are on a circuit course, a drag strip, or an auto cross event, it is. The bigger the course or strip, and the more the GT starts to stretch its legs; lets not forget that Coyotes make their power all the way to redline, and some guys (myself included are pushing 7900 - 8000 RPMs). Where does the stock EB turbo start coughing at?

3) EB being a better car is subjective. For you it is. For many others it isn't. I haven't seen many pipe up and say they traded in an S550 GT for an Ecoboost (although I'm sure there is someone out there). There are A LOT OF PEOPLE that have traded in S550 EBs for S550 GTs, and it's been going on since the platform came out in 2014.

I believe this is the 121st version of this thread. Ecoboost guys come out to justify their purchases and try their hardest to make it seem like the EB is superior and that MPGs are so important. Then, GT guys come out like a pack of wild Coyotes (pun intended) and start going on and on about the V8 master race and the majestic sounds a pair of off road headers make when mated up to a Corsa Catback. Meanwhile the V6 guys are just happy to have their motor option around for at least another year... It means the few aftermarket performance part options they have won't dry up.

I don't race and drive on back country roads where the lighter and better handling EB is a better choice. The max speed limit is 55. A GT in that environment is a waste of money.

Even if I drove all highway miles the EB would be the better choice since again I don't race and obey traffic laws.
4) By your logic, a Prius would get the job done even better. You don't drive on country roads... or speed... and you want outstanding MPGs. If not a Prius, then one of the literally scores of cars that outperform EB S550s in these categories. The way you claim to drive, the EB is too much car for you.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Everyone tries to justifies their purchases. Eb/v6/gt.
Eb owners try to justify their purchase by saying their car is faster and better than a GT knowing thats its not.
Gt owners try to justify their purchase by bragging about how fast their car is but ignoring how much they spent.
V6 owners try to justify their purchases by popping in to these forums to remind everyone that the v6 still exist.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I'd just like to remind everyone of one of the particular rules of the forum:

3. Inter Model Bashing — To reiterate, the forum will not tolerate any bashing of another member's choice of vehicle, options/equipment, modifications, stock vs. non stock etc. Respect for all models (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, etc) is expected of all members. Posting in a thread or section related to a specific trim/model for the sole purpose of bashing the vehicle will not be tolerated on the forums.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/announcement.php?f=56

Thank you.
Amazed this thread has still survived considering there have been numerous posts after this reminder that IMO have gone way over the line. Even the title of the thread is condescending.

We have awesome vehicles that WAY outperform prior generations of Mustangs in uncountable ways. I have owned a GT of a prior generation and my current EB blows it away in every category - hp, handling, quality of interior, not to mention awesome beauty of design. I have 100 more hp than my previous GT and get a real 33-36mpg hwy mileage if I keep it off the boost. Since I drive over 2k miles per month, that means something to me.

I didn't "trade down". I bought just exactly what I wanted. For many reasons. Period. And I am having a blast with it.

I don't see GT350 owners bashing GT owners for being lame; amazing that GT owners can't restrain theirselves from doing that to other Mustang owners.

I see absolutely no reason for this pre-adolescent slamming down to owners of the same car. :crazy: Grow up and mature a little bit.

Last edited:

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Amazed this thread has still survived considering there have been numerous posts after this reminder that IMO have gone way over the line.

We have awesome vehicles that WAY outperform prior generations of Mustangs in uncountable ways. I have owned a GT of a prior generation and my current EB blows it away in every category - hp, handling, quality of interior, not to mention awesome beauty of design. I have 100 more hp than my previous GT and get a real 33-36mpg hwy mileage if I keep it off the boost. Since I drive over 2k miles per month, that means something to me.

I see absolutely no reason for this pre-adolescent bickering between owners of the same car. :crazy: Grow up.
Take it easy. This is actually one of the tamer versions of this thread. People are passionate about what they drive, that's all.

If anything, the question that the OP asked has yet to be answered....

Has anyone traded an S550 GT in for an S550 EB?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
If gt350 owners started bashing on 5.0 owners, they too will react the same way as these eb owners. But it doesnt reqlly happen....because gt350 owners probably dont feel the need to do that lol.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
LOL, the GT350 owners. The true master race! All 20 of them! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

No but seriously, had I known there was going to be a GT350 I would have waited, because I've already put more than the difference in price into my GT :D.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Understood. I didn't directly trade S550 GT to EB , but when I ordered mine I had the choice between the two, so I think that may be apropos to the subject. I did drive both the GT and EB on test drives ( I wanted premium package so did not consider the V6). I live close to an area with great driving roads (Tail of the Dragon, etc) and honestly, the GT felt sort of nose heavy to me. The EB just felt dialed in to twisty roads conditions and much easier to play with.

Honestly, the only thing missing is the exhaust note of the V8, everything else I prefer the EB. If I considered another 'stang I'd figure out how to plan and budget for a GT350. If I do get one I promise not to disrespect the GT owners :)

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

If gt350 owners started bashing on 5.0 owners, they too will react the same way as these eb owners. But it doesnt reqlly happen....because gt350 owners probably dont feel the need to do that lol.
It's interesting that it is only some GT owners against ECO owners. The v6, nobody really talks about. The GT350, nobody really talks about. I doubt too many people have traded a GT for an ECO. When it comes to buying a car, people usually trade up in tier prices, not to something cheaper.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Understood. I didn't directly trade S550 GT to EB , but when I ordered mine I had the choice between the two, so I think that may be apropos to the subject. I did drive both the GT and EB on test drives ( I wanted premium package so did not consider the V6). I live close to an area with great driving roads (Tail of the Dragon, etc) and honestly, the GT felt sort of nose heavy to me. The EB just felt dialed in to twisty roads conditions and much easier to play with.

Honestly, the only thing missing is the exhaust note of the V8, everything else I prefer the EB. If I considered another 'stang I'd figure out how to plan and budget for a GT350. If I do get one I promise not to disrespect the GT owners :)
The GT350 is badass. I would try so hard not to modify it...

I mean I'd try.... and probably fail....

#boostlife

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I'm shopping for a car and want great MPG, hmm...I want a Mustang!! - Said nobody

If MPGs are your thing, then there are far better options in uglier forms out there. The EB isn't overly impressive for a 4 cylinder, BUT it IS impressive for a Mustang. The V6 is pretty decent for a V6. The V8 has impressive MPG for being a V8 (IMO). All choices have good power ratings, the V6 is more powerful than 85% of cars on the road. The EB is more powerful than 86%, and the GT is more powerful than 87%. We mostly compete and argue with our own kind, apparently. One big Mustang family.

I don't think any of the engines are a bad choice. In fact, Its great that Ford gave us 4 engine options (including the GT350). Just like the 60s-70s, when you custom built your car and had multiple engine options, Ford gave us that priveledge today. How many other cars give you 4 options?

In the end, I don't see someone who bought a GT trading down to an EB. Nobody wants less power (especially after having a taste of it) and I can't imagine someone would have failed to realize they need the extra 5-7mpg at the time of buying. Even then, I see it more likely that someone buy a more efficient DD and keeping their GT as their fun car. Rather than trade to an EB.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't see GT350 owners bashing GT owners for being lame; amazing that GT owners can't restrain theirselves from doing that to other Mustang owners.
That's because anyone able to afford a GT350 is so old they don't know how to use computers or browse forums.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Well, it's not really the same thing but I see where you're coming from. There's really no bashing from V8 to V8.. Even in the Camaro and Challenger world..

5.0's, Scatpacks and SS's have respect from their FI induction brothers ;)

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well, it's not really the same thing but I see where you're coming from. There's really no bashing from V8 to V8.. Even in the Camaro and Challenger world..

5.0's, Scatpacks and SS's have respect from their FI induction brothers ;)
5.7L does not get a lot of respect over in challengertalk.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Status
Not open for further replies.