Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I just went on a road trip with part of my family. I gave them the option of the mustang or moms Camry hybrid. They, my wife and daughter chose her hybrid. I was a little bummed because for once since I got rid of my Tundra, they chose moms car. This is bothering me.

My wife is leasing a 2016 Camry hybrid SE. The thing doesn’t look bad at all but driving it in the city is garbage. However, driving it on the freeway, was impressive. It shows its Sport Edition on the highway. It handles very well for truck height. The electric motor kicks in when you need to overtake someone and almost seems like instant turbo push. It doesn’t sound great when you’re stressing the 4cyl motor but it does move. This is my second road trip and it confirmed my first road trip was just as fun. Anyway, I can keep talking about how I like this car for road trips but the truth is I really don’t think I could keep it as a daily.

I would keep a Charger Daytona 392 as a daily and road trip ride. I need input from those guys who switched from Charger to a mustang. Why did you switch? Would you go back to a charger? Why wouldn’t you go back to a charger? Was it a good road trip car? Anything else you can add that is important about a charger too. Thx
Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I had a 2008 Charger RT. I hated it. Switched a 2013 V6 Mustang. I don’t like autos, don’t think their really that fun to drive even if they can go fast. The suspension was horrendous especially after installing some eibachs. Interior was taken straight out of a mini van.

The new ones seem better but I still wasn’t a fan. Would never go back. I do have a Ram too and love that but would not go back to an auto sports car. I’d consider a challenger in manual.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I mean...I can't blame your daughter for picking the Camry. The back seat of a Mustang is really no fun place to be, and unless your wife is driving, it's not going to be as enjoyable for a front seat passenger either (I'm guessing the Camry's seats are far more comfortable for long drives).

Personally, I would keep your setup as is - use the Camry for long road trips and save your Mustang from extra miles.

If it really bothers you and you need a sporty car to drive on a road trip, then think of a compromise (the Charger probably not it). Your family obviously doesn't care about what's under the hood - they want comfort while sitting in the car for extended periods. I'd look to the Lincoln MKZ 3.0TT or Fusion Sport 2.7TT well before I even considered a Charger.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Had 3 Challengers before this Mustang, (Basically a 6" wheelbase shortened Charger) a '10 V6, a '13 RT, and a '15 Scat 392. The V6 was fun to drive with the upgrades suspension and brakes. the RT was a dog, to heavy and the 372HP motor doesn't make up for the added weight (over the V6) well enough. the 392 is a Beast, but it handles like crap. There is a 15 mile back road near my house, the Scat 392, was getting a bad feeling at 70, the 'Stang will take it at 120. Bottom line the 392 is a good long range highway car, but no fun on the twisties.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
My wife has a Lexus RC and I have my GT. We bought a used GLK350 as a third car for trips.

It has nothing to do with which is more fun to drive, but on longer trips we all fit in the tiny SUV much easier than either of our cars and use it for around town most of the time. I can't blame them for choosing the Camry. There's much more room to stretch out in the back.

Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I would pick a 1973 Honda Civic before the New Mustang !!:D

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I switched 40 years ago but I don't think that'll help you. Had a 70 RT Charger and sold it to buy a 73 Mach I. Neither were show winners but both were fun.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
My g/f has a V6 Charger. I drive it all the time. If you take passengers in the back, it's nice to have the extra space. I've driven the Scat Packs too. They are comfortable cars and handle well for their size. But they are not nearly as fun/nimble as the Mustang. They are big cars. I don't need the back seat so no Charger for me.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
A Charger really isn't a top-handling car.
If you are more worried about road worthiness than actual performance, then of coarse the Sedan bomber is a better choice.

That is what is lacking in Lincoln's portfolio, is a killer 4 door sedan. A s550 4-door hatchback from Lincoln would be sweet choice to have.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
A Charger really isn't a top-handling car.
If you are more worried about road worthiness than actual performance, then of coarse the Sedan bomber is a better choice.

That is what is lacking in Lincoln's portfolio, is a killer 4 door sedan. A s550 4-door hatchback from Lincoln would be sweet choice to have.
What about the Lincoln MKZ with the Drivers Package (AWD, Dynamic Torque Vectoring, and a TT 3.0 V6 for 400 HP.

Sponsored

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
Yep I had a 14 Charger R/T and absolutely loved it. Got an Impala as a daily so I had no need for a 4 door toy so I traded in the Charger and picked up a 16 Mustang GT. If I didn't have my daily I would absolutely pick up a 392/Hellcat Charger. Super nice cars, they are quick and they have a ton of room. If you want a fast 4 door it's an absolute no brainer imo. Not gonna lie gas mileage was horrible lmao which is the only downside

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Don't ask them next time, just tell them "were taking the mustang.":thumbsup:

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
I had a '15 Scat Pack 392 Charger and now have the Mustang. They are completely different, so you can't compare them. I drove a 2006 Silverado as my daily, and now it's the Mustang. My wife drove the Charger, and now it's a Hyundai. She misses the Charger, but we had a lot of issues with that car, that's why we don't have it anymore. We did take a 4000 mile road trip in the Charger and it was more than fine for the trip. I would NOT take the Mustang on that same drive because it's not designed for 3 people!

OP
OP
Vato

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
You guys have all described my setbacks with the mustang and also similar situations about a daily driver.

I love driving the stang around town by myself. However, when it comes to enjoying it with the rest of the family is where it comes short. I've done some research since I posted this thread. I've also done some soul searching and bottom line, I'm upset with myself. Why can't I be selfish? Why can't I just not give a f...? I realized I need a swiss army knife. I've always owned the swiss army knife of a car. This time with the Mustang I figured it was my time but look at me now. I truly feel like Nicolas Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds. It's that unicorn I can't keep.

I researched a daily driver but that's just adding at least another $300 a month for a slightly used CPO car. Instead of adding this additional cost, I may go Charger Daytona 392, Durango RT or SRT, or Audi A4/S4. In the meantime, I'll keep fighting the urge to trade my car.

One other thing, I have to do that 12hr drive each way again this weekend in the wife's hybrid. As much as I know it'll do fine, it's not my preferred car. I really wish it was something more exciting.

I may need counseling. :headbonk:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Plain and simple, it's a two person car. The rear seat is there for the insurance companies. It is a magnitude worse than the s197's in the rear seat.
Sponsored