Sponsored

Anyone shorten jacking rails to make shorter and lighter?

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
My goal in purchasing the rails originally was to give me the freedom to jack up the car on one side anywhere between the tires but I noticed I’m only going within a foot of each tire each time I jack up the car not needing the majority of the length. So I was thinking of shortening each side by cutting away the majority of material between the front and the rear bolt holes leaving approximately 6 inches on each side of the holes so I still have roughly 8 to 10 inches of room to Jack up. Thoughts on trying this? has anyone done this? Again the goal here is to lose the majority of the weight for each of the rails.
Sponsored

Cement Bench

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffy
Vehicle(s)
2020 BULLITT
just to fully complete this rather absurd discussion consider the following

I would not buy your car if I saw this, WHAT ELSE DID YOU FIDDLE WITH AND WHY

no way would I buy your car
cheers mate
‘no disrespect intended
just stating facts

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ha ha, ok. But seriously, the S550 platform is heavy.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Let's say the rails are both the same length (which they are not) and say they are 100" in total length. I have not gone under the car to measure them but we will deal with easy numbers for simplicity sake. The BMR are listed at about 35lbs for the low profile rails.

they are about 35lb/100" = 0.35 lb per inch.

If you cut off a total of 6 inches, what are you saving ~2 lbs? Really?

You will also compromise their integrity. Mine do not have open ends. Also could let in moisture and rust them away.

You can save more weight by going on a diet for a week, rip out the back seat, or leave the inflation pump in the pits.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Let's say the rails are both the same length (which they are not) and say they are 100" in total length. I have not gone under the car to measure them but we will deal with easy numbers for simplicity sake. The BMR are listed at about 35lbs for the low profile rails.

they are about 35lb/100" = 0.35 lb per inch.

If you cut off a total of 6 inches, what are you saving ~2 lbs? Really?

You will also compromise their integrity. Mine do not have open ends. Also could let in moisture and rust them away.

You can save more weight by going on a diet for a week, rip out the back seat, or leave the inflation pump in the pits.
I like the analysis...thx! Yes, other places to cut weight , but need to decide what can be reversed, as I want to keep this car nearly stock.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
grind parts of your wheels, shave your tires a little bit, put only half of the oil/fluids, remove your a/c + stereo system and remove all your carpet/noise reduction material....

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Are you so good that you can see a performance difference when there is a weight reduction, a negligible one at that?

Sure, most could tell a couple hundred. Not so sure you can tell with less than 100 lbs.

There are so many ways to reduce weight. Lighter wheels and rotors, select certain tire widths to trade handling for weight, gut interior and non essentials for lighter weight items (seats, etc). Remove passenger seat and backseats, Gut doors and all interior trim and replace as needed.

Ditch all the stuff in the trunk,

It all depends on how far you want to go. Thinking that cutting a lb or two off some bars is going to make a difference, is ludicrous. A true racer probably would not install them in the first place if weight was so critical. That is a 35lb savings right there.

Do a search. Lots of stuff on the internet on how to lighten a car.

I did a quick search and found this : http://www.superstreetonline.com/ho...eral rule of thumb,a vehicle equals [approx.]

To break it down in quarter-mile drag racing, every 100 lb removed from a vehicle equals [approx.] 1/10th of a second improvement.
Your 2 lbs won't equate to anything. Even adding the 35lb bars won't be seen in a 1/4 mile that won't be absorbed by the standard deviation and human error.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Are you so good that you can see a performance difference when there is a weight reduction, a negligible one at that?

Sure, most could tell a couple hundred. Not so sure you can tell with less than 100 lbs.

There are so many ways to reduce weight. Lighter wheels and rotors, select certain tire widths to trade handling for weight, gut interior and non essentials for lighter weight items (seats, etc). Remove passenger seat and backseats, Gut doors and all interior trim and replace as needed.

Ditch all the stuff in the trunk,

It all depends on how far you want to go. Thinking that cutting a lb or two off some bars is going to make a difference, is ludicrous. A true racer probably would not install them in the first place if weight was so critical. That is a 35lb savings right there.

Do a search. Lots of stuff on the internet on how to lighten a car.

I did a quick search and found this : http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/0407it-weight-reduction-tips/#:~:text=A general rule of thumb,a vehicle equals [approx.]

Your 2 lbs won't equate to anything. Even adding the 35lb bars won't be seen in a 1/4 mile that won't be absorbed by the standard deviation and human error.
That is where I was going... not installing them there’s already a 35 pound savings looking at it that way. Kind of like leaving a suitcase full of stuff in the trunk and driving around with it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Besides being able to jack up the car from a wide range of spots on each side, I don't really see the point of these anymore.

I slap on a magnetic puck on the front jack point, and with a couple pumps on the jack the entire side of the car is up in the air, including both wheels off the ground. Pretty easy to put the stands under or swap wheels easily.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Besides being able to jack up the car from a wide range of spots on each side, I don't really see the point of these anymore.

I slap on a magnetic puck on the front jack point, and with a couple pumps on the jack the entire side of the car is up in the air, including both wheels off the ground. Pretty easy to put the jacks under or swap wheels easily.
Cool idea... I have not seen the magnetic pucks-where did you get them?