Anyone running mixed springs F/R?

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I just removed the Steeda Ultra Light springs yesterday from the rear of my mustang and so far I am much more comfortable being able to get a finger between the rear tire and fender well. I still have the Steeda's in the front and actually like the way it is. I can't imagine any issues using 2 different springs in front / rear but I am a newbie. So my rates are now 200/740. Anyone running setups like this, is it too little rate in the rear end?
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
When I change springs, this is how I'm going to do it, 1 end at a time. I want to feel the difference. Rake, the difference in front & rear ride height, is one of the more powerful tuning tools wrt handling. I just don't have a good handle on how sensitive this particular platform is.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Rake usually implies something about the geometric roll center heights relative to each other, which I think is really what's responsible for changing the handling. Rake is the visible clue.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just removed the Steeda Ultra Light springs yesterday from the rear of my mustang and so far I am much more comfortable being able to get a finger between the rear tire and fender well. I still have the Steeda's in the front and actually like the way it is. I can't imagine any issues using 2 different springs in front / rear but I am a newbie. So my rates are now 200/740. Anyone running setups like this, is it too little rate in the rear end?
I think you'll know when your shocks and struts are coming due for replacement . . . personally I'd have spaced the rear Ultralights up if rear tire gap was the concern.

Norm

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Rake usually implies something about the geometric roll center heights relative to each other, which I think is really what's responsible for changing the handling. Rake is the visible clue.

Norm
That's a fair enough description.

On some cars it's a very powerful tuning tool. I'm curious about this one. I think all the commonly available performance spring packages drop the front more than the rear. All of these companies have decided (independently?) they want to introduce more rake with their products. I think there's a clue there.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Lowering a strut suspension by an inch typically drops its geo-roll center by at least twice that. Short-long-arm and multilink suspensions (essentially multi-piece versions of at least one of an SLA's arms) only drop the geo-RC on about a 1:1 ratio with the amount of lowering.

Lateral load transfer through the RCs happens first in a transient maneuver, so you'd probably most notice the difference on turn-in.

Norm

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It generally does have its biggest effect in the first 1/3 of the corner, but if it allows you to get the car turned earlier in the corner and have a different angle at the apex it can be a factor through the whole corner.

The down side is the car can be unstable on entry if you go too far. Also, if you overdo it, you get a mismatch between the front & rear lateral response which makes the car unpredictable. Like anything, it's just one of the spices in the soup. If it compliments the rest of the setup, it's good, but there will be a point of diminishing returns which depends on how it works with all the other variables.
Sponsored