Sponsored

Anyone running high flow cats with whipple?

Tommy5Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I read that some people melted their cats with a forced induction build, I'm currently running stainless power LTs with high flow CATs. Wondering if anyone on here can give me some piece of mind that its uncommon to melt high flow cats. Most of the people I saw with melted cats were on race fuel, smaller pulley, or both. I don't plan on making the swap to e85 or to a smaller pulley until I either swap to kooks headers with the green cats or go catless and deal with emissions in New York. This is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on a stage 2 whipple kit.
Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I read that some people melted their cats with a forced induction build, I'm currently running stainless power LTs with high flow CATs. Wondering if anyone on here can give me some piece of mind that its uncommon to melt high flow cats. Most of the people I saw with melted cats were on race fuel, smaller pulley, or both. I don't plan on making the swap to e85 or to a smaller pulley until I either swap to kooks headers with the green cats or go catless and deal with emissions in New York. This is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on a stage 2 whipple kit.
Im sure plenty of people are. I've heard the stock cats are better than aftermarket ones though. The aftermarket ones (except for i believe the kooks green) are not made to withstand forced induction. People have melted them sometimes within a couple thousand miles. YMMV but it wasnt something i wanted to risk. Thats why i went catless with my Odin.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
I have the Whipple 3.0 with a full MBRP LTs, their high flow CATS and cat back system. Car put down 980 RWHP thru the CATS as well.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have the Whipple 3.0 with a full MBRP LTs, their high flow CATS and cat back system. Car put down 980 RWHP thru the CATS as well.
How long have you had this setup? Whens the last time you inspected the cats? There is a pretty large thread warning against it. But not the case with everyone clearly.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have been on my car since September 2018 with no ill feels or effects yet. I do plan to order a replacement off road H pipe later this year, early spring but as of now, I have never taken them back off to check because the car runs like a raped ape just like the first day I installed the CATS.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
They have been on my car since September 2018 with no ill feels or effects yet. I do plan to order a replacement off road H pipe later this year, early spring but as of now, I have never taken them back off to check because the car runs like a raped ape just like the first day I installed the CATS.
Thats good. Im glad your cats havent melted. It just depends what you feel is an acceptable risk or not. To me, paying that much money for a cat that is likely to melt as evidenced by some popular threads, it wasnt worth the risk to me. To you, it may be.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve seen the same threads BEFORE I even went this route and know all the risks involved. Not sure if you read where I said I am ordering an off road H pipe soon for replacement. The CAT system was for the initial run since the car has to be inspected yearly. Now getting the new ORH pipe, I should be able to quickly swap them in/out.

My comments were basically for the OP. I live in Washington DC, close enough to NY and know what he’s up against in the emissions camp. He too knows and has read/heard the risks and melted, Blown CATS as well and can make a decision from that. I just stated what “my” personal experience was and never once made a convincing statement that he should be ok, especially with my comment of saying I am ordering an ORH pipe soon.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I’ve seen the same threads BEFORE I even went this route and know all the risks involved. Not sure if you read where I said I am ordering an off road H pipe soon for replacement. The CAT system was for the initial run since the car has to be inspected yearly. Now getting the new ORH pipe, I should be able to quickly swap them in/out.

My comments were basically for the OP. I live in Washington DC, close enough to NY and know what he’s up against in the emissions camp. He too knows and has read/heard the risks and melted, Blown CATS as well and can make a decision from that. I just stated what “my” personal experience was and never once made a convincing statement that he should be ok, especially with my comment of saying I am ordering an ORH pipe soon.
Im not arguing with you, i even said i was glad you didnt blow one. Also i missed the "off road" part of the H pipe. I just saw the H pipe part so i do apologize for that. When i asked about how long you've had it, if you've checked them..it wasn't to argue, it was out of curiosity and information. It may have came off argumentative.

I live in california and have been stationed here the past 5 years..only recently did i register my car in my home state of alabama, so i understand and know the hassle of dealing with the emission laws. However, i figured if he is asking about this, thats further down his list of concerns as there are ways around it, as you mentioned with swapping the pipes for inspections. Also emissions speaking for cats..its a federal law, not state. Any modification of cats isn't allowed from my understanding. Aftermarket ones included.

Edit. It would be interesting to see what your cats look like when they are removed. Im sure people would love to see an extra cat setup that has held up to power.

OP
OP

Tommy5Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Im sure plenty of people are. I've heard the stock cats are better than aftermarket ones though. The aftermarket ones (except for i believe the kooks green) are not made to withstand forced induction. People have melted them sometimes within a couple thousand miles. YMMV but it wasnt something i wanted to risk. Thats why i went catless with my Odin.
Yeah it seems kinda hit or miss which is why I'm hesitant.

Hearing that your putting 980 WRHP through high flows definitely makes me think I'll be fine running stock pulley and 93 with high flows until I either go with green cats or catless and deal with emissions every year.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
I bought my car from a super nice member here few months ago. It is a 2015 so gen 2, with the stage 2 second gen 825 HP 2.9L Whipple. Car now has 24k miles, I believe he had the Whipple installed at around 17k miles few years back. He did few drg track days with the 3.5 small pully, but for daily used the 3.75 which I am planning on keeping for street use.
Car has stock cats, and 2.5" cat back Borla Sport. Seems to be holding fine with the stock Whipple 93 tune. So should pass emissions no problem.

Hope this helps a little. I am also in NY, car was in Virginia.

Sponsored

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adamone92, I will definitely take some photos to see if there are any melted pieces, missing, broken and all that. I was told by Dustin Whipple that I may have had about 20-30 RWHP lost because of those at that boost level. Since I run E85, the fuel smell is not all that bad but regular fuel...…..ughhh that stinks pretty bad.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Adamone92, I will definitely take some photos to see if there are any melted pieces, missing, broken and all that. I was told by Dustin Whipple that I may have had about 20-30 RWHP lost because of those at that boost level. Since I run E85, the fuel smell is not all that bad but regular fuel...…..ughhh that stinks pretty bad.
Looking forward to it! Haha..yeah with e85 it almost smells good! There are some grape and other scent fuel additives that make it smell even better. Lol. Might help you on a cop doing a "sniff test"

OP
OP

Tommy5Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I bought my car from a super nice member here few months ago. It is a 2015 so gen 2, with the stage 2 second gen 825 HP 2.9L Whipple. Car now has 24k miles, I believe he had the Whipple installed at around 17k miles few years back. He did few drg track days with the 3.5 small pully, but for daily used the 3.75 which I am planning on keeping for street use.
Car has stock cats, and 2.5" cat back Borla Sport. Seems to be holding fine with the stock Whipple 93 tune. So should pass emissions no problem.

Hope this helps a little. I am also in NY, car was in Virginia.
Awesome thanks for the information. Mainly saw that people with smaller pulleys, race fuel, or both were burning up their cats. With the replies i've got so far I'm definitely feeling better about running high flow cats with the stock pulley and whipple tune.
Sponsored