Sponsored

Anyone running ford performance bump stops with steeda progressive springs?

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll try and find the thread so I can link it, but I think they are. I went with the Steeda ones to take the guess work out of it

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
Steeda recommended to me to cut the FP ones down I think an inch.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
we put steeda on my buddies car and had to cut the oem bumps down, it was about an inch. Cant remember but tells ya in the instructions when you get them.

PistolPete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi, 2009 Honda Accord
Is it necessary to replace or cut the oem ones down? I installed progressive steedas on my 18' magneride and forgot about the bumpstops...

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Is it necessary to replace or cut the oem ones down? I installed progressive steedas on my 18' magneride and forgot about the bumpstops...
I mean the instructions say to. Im guessing for a reason. I would say because the travel of the strut or shock at oem would be shorter then the new spring would need. That's why need to cut them down to allow more compression. But im guessing.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The point is to preserve as much of the exposed shaft as you had before. Say you have 2 inches of shaft exposed below the bumper with the car on it's wheels. If your new springs result in 1" lower ride height that means your exposed shaft is down to just 1". Whack 1" off the bump stop and you're back to 2".

Gah I'm an idiot!
I dind't facter in motion ratio. The suspension guys have measured it (how about posting the details guys, @SteedaTech, @BMR Tech) but I'm eyeballing it at around 0.7. So for 1 inch at the wheel the shock moves 0.5. So shorten the stops accordingly.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I remember reading about them but was so anxious to lower my car my buddy and I totally forgot. FML... So your saying i'll have a harsher ride cause its not letting the suspension compress? Would it be less of a drop as well?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the initial drop should be free and clear of the bump stops. Quick way to find out - shove down on the dust boot and see how far it goes. That's how much exposed shaft you have with the stops at the current length. Shorten to suit. I personally detest the use of bump stops as spring-rate adders. IMO they should be last-ditch crash avoidance devices to take the edge off the force spike when travel comes to an end. I have some Eibach spacers (BS770060) that are 2.7" long that are replacing Steeda's. My dual-rate springs drop the car 0.75". I'm cutting the Eibach bump stops back by at least 1.5" and probably more as well as swiss-cheesing the material with 4mm holes. The only valid use case IMO for stiff or long bump stops is to set an upper bound to absolute chassis pitch. This is probably desirable on a race track and more so at the drag strip. If the shock is kissing the bump stops on the street in my book the stops are too long.

PistolPete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
ok cool, thanks for the info.

Sponsored
OP
OP

‘19 GeeTee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah I remember reading about them but was so anxious to lower my car my buddy and I totally forgot. FML... So your saying i'll have a harsher ride cause its not letting the suspension compress? Would it be less of a drop as well?
Definitely a harsher ride. You’re riding on the bumpstops.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
My thought would be that yes you get the drop but the travel of the shock/strut will be shortened. so if you had a oem travel of 2 inches when going over speed bumps and such or potholes. You now have a travel of 1 inch and I woud think that yes it would translate into a bumpier ride and the bumps stop being hit more often than before.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I mean the instructions say to. Im guessing for a reason. I would say because the travel of the strut or shock at oem would be shorter then the new spring would need. That's why need to cut them down to allow more compression. But im guessing.
On Magneride there is no front strut bumpstops. The rear can be shorten up to 1/2 on Magneride S550 only.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored