Sponsored

Anyone running a cold air intake without the heat shield?

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
I got a deal on a used JLT intake that didn't come with the heat shield. Is there a big difference with the shield? Any idea where I could get one?
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I'm not sure how big of a deal it is on the street but I ran without one for a while and on the dyno it made a noticeable difference. We picked up 7-8whp from shielding the intake from the heat coming off the headers. On the street I didn't notice a difference in power but it may be hard to feel less then 10hp. I would call JLT and see if you can buy just the shield.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I'd get a heat shield for it. I see they even sell a small foam piece now that goes over the tube where it enters the heat shield housing to seal it to the hood, and I've seen people saying even that helps a good amount with temperatures. I could be wrong but that part might be included with the new JLT intakes? Might be worth getting one of those as well.

OP
OP
ChristianDev

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Thanks guys, thats what is was afraid of. Hopefully JLT will sell me just the heat shield

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Heat shield doesn't do much for blocking engine heat. What they DO is help contain cold air that comes in through the front of the car when the vehicle is moving such that it gets sucked into the intake instead of more of a combination of the hot air already in the engine bay with any new air coming through the front of the car. The GT350 CAI is much better at blocking out hot engine bay air even though it is open element, and it had to be in order to qualify as a part on a production vehicle. Steeda's seals really well, too. JLT... meh.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Heat shield doesn't do much for blocking engine heat. What they DO is help contain cold air that comes in through the front of the car when the vehicle is moving such that it gets sucked into the intake instead of more of a combination of the hot air already in the engine bay with any new air coming through the front of the car. The GT350 CAI is much better at blocking out hot engine bay air even though it is open element, and it had to be in order to qualify as a part on a production vehicle. Steeda's seals really well, too. JLT... meh.
I agreed with everything you said until the last sentence.

Dude...

Nothing wrong with JLT. I have a JLT. Did you have a bad experience?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
This dropped my IAT's significantly and bought me a 10th in the quarter.

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
anymore pics of info of what you did?

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
This dropped my IAT's significantly and bought me a 10th in the quarter.
Did you just seal the open air portion of the intake with heatwrap? I mean I guess that works! Might as well heat wrap the intake tube as well

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Tried wrapping the tube, after a while the tube just heats up. I sealed the open portion yes, and put heat wrap along the sides of the box that faces the engine. Also put some wrap over the rad under the MAF. All in all highway IAT didn't drop that much, bombing around town in 30*c heat IAT's are within 10*c of ambient whether i'm at 20km/h or 60km/h. Also the IAT drops very fast, at the track it normalizes around the 330' mark. I'll take more pics later.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I agreed with everything you said until the last sentence.

Dude...

Nothing wrong with JLT. I have a JLT. Did you have a bad experience?
He just stated what is wrong with JLT design. It is open air design and doesn't allow for efficient use of the "ram air" effect. Leaving many people to have to modify theirs because it is not a true closed system.
Sponsored