Sponsored

Anyone running a Borla S-Type axle back only?

ggreenlow8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I’m looking to get the S Type for my 2020 GT, and cannot find anywhere on this forum where someone is running just the axle back. I’ve read reviews on AM, but they aren’t descriptive enough. I’m looking for a small volume increase from stock with a deep sound and the S-Type seems to do just that. If volume isn’t enough I could always just go full cat back, but I don’t want to be too loud (neighbors). Can anyone weigh in?
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The full catback is pretty loud. More volume than I was expecting so had to cut in 2 extra mufflers to tame it down. The axle back shouldn't be too crazy if your keeping the stock suitcase resonator.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
With the stock resonator it’s not too loud, it’s when you mix in the X-Pipe or even some Hs where the ticking off the neighbors threshold begins.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I went from stock active H pipe to active s types and H pipe.
not exactly the same as your situation but I can comment on the volume increase when swapping axle backs.
interior volume actually went down a considerable amount.
track mode is Loud. Still very deep and burbly.
Quiet mode isn’t as stealthy as it was with the stock mufflers but it’s not crazy Piss the neighbors off loud.

OP
OP
ggreenlow8

ggreenlow8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for the feedback 👍🏼 Going to buy the axle back first most likely. If I’m unhappy with the sound levels I can always add in an H pipe or something.

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Gil,

Do you have active exhaust from the factory? If so, eliminate the mid-pipe resonator with an X or H pipe and that will give you the sound you are looking for.

OP
OP
ggreenlow8

ggreenlow8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Ah, my apologies. I should’ve specified I have a non-active exhaust on my car. That would be a great option if I had active. A big thing for me is wanting to change the boring single wall tips to something 4in or larger.
Gil,

Do you have active exhaust from the factory? If so, eliminate the mid-pipe resonator with an X or H pipe and that will give you the sound you are looking for.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
OK, no problem. I had active exhaust from the factory. I wanted more sound so I eliminated the mid-pipe and went with the FORD x pipe. That satisfied me for about a year and then I just upgraded to the BORLA ATAK cat-back. I love sound:) Let us know how you make out.

Project

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mustang GT Prem
The cat-back is definitely louder then expected but man it sounds so damn good. After having it on for more then a 1,000 miles, I don't regret the cat-back at all. The cold start though, is ridiculously loud, but there's ways around it.

OP
OP
ggreenlow8

ggreenlow8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
The cat-back is definitely louder then expected but man it sounds so damn good. After having it on for more then a 1,000 miles, I don't regret the cat-back at all. The cold start though, is ridiculously loud, but there's ways around it.
Very true. I’m tempted to get the cat back. It’s my daily and do a bit of highway mileage, but the Borla seems to get nice and quiet at freeway speeds.

Sponsored

Project

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mustang GT Prem
Very true. I’m tempted to get the cat back. It’s my daily and do a bit of highway mileage, but the Borla seems to get nice and quiet at freeway speeds.
Yea, the contrast in volume is pretty impressive. The volume difference between highway driving vs going through the gears is night and day. I've noticed since I've put the Borla on, most people keep their distance from me in stop and go traffic vs riding my ass lol.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I actually did test in the cabin for the catback (also my daily). Spirited acceleration up to about 3k was 67 db. Cruising around at 2100/2200 was 60 db. Below 2k was 55 db. Very livable, IMO, and it sounds phenomenal. I took my car in for an alignment and heard my car from the outside, for the first time ever, and was legitimately surprised how badass it sounded. It actually sounds worse in the cabin lol.

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
get the Borla S-type cat-back if you just want a little louder than stock. I had the Borla atak and it is very loud. the cold start up is scary loud. next time, I would choose the s-type instead. the reason I still keep it because my son likes it, but he's only 23 years old.

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
The full catback is pretty loud. More volume than I was expecting so had to cut in 2 extra mufflers to tame it down. The axle back shouldn't be too crazy if your keeping the stock suitcase resonator.
I don’t agree.

I just installed a Borla S 3” catback and it’s not that loud. Quieter then it was with just mufflers deleted.

totally stock car, its pretty tame at idle,startup , moderately loud when on the gas, but not like it’s led on.

I’d trade my 3” S for a Atak system if you like it quieter .

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I don’t agree.

I just installed a Borla S 3” catback and it’s not that loud. Quieter then it was with just mufflers deleted.

totally stock car, its pretty tame at idle,startup , moderately loud when on the gas, but not like it’s led on.

I’d trade my 3” S for a Atak system if you like it quieter .
Everyone has a different opinion on what quiet is. I went with the stype because of how quiet a lot of people on here say it was. Cold starts rattle the whole house even when I'm parked outside not in the garage. My wife could hear me coming home when I'm 5 blocks away and she's in the bathroom blow drying her hair. I'd call that loud. Hell it's still loud with 4 mufflers but it's bearable now and flows well enough for the turbos so im happy. To each their own.
Sponsored