Anyone run SCT X4 canned tune?

sganow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB Kona Blue w/Black Accent Pkg, 2001 TB Bullitt
Does anyone run the SCT X4 canned tune in their Ecoboost Mustang? Or maybe I should ask why I don’t see anyone running it? Have there been any problems with it?
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
On my 15 Ecoboost Mustang I used SCT, Steeda and Unleashed tunes. All three made the same power but ultimately the Unleashed was the best because they modified the tune based on my data logs.

The only issue with the canned SCT tune was that the throttle response was to touchy for my taste. I used the same SCT X4 on my Focus ST and found the same touchy throttle response with the SCT canned tunes.

I would recommend that you try the canned tunes you may like the throttle response. My car is a daily driver so it was not to my liking.

OP
OP
sganow

sganow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB Kona Blue w/Black Accent Pkg, 2001 TB Bullitt
Wondering if I should sell the x4 and buy the Ford Performance tune.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The canned tunes that come with the X4 are too generic when you start heavily modifying your car. You are leaving gains(hp and tq) on the table. Also, like mentioned above, the throttle sensitivity is turned up on the canned tunes. Some people like it, I hated it.

If you have a tune and no other mods, you would be okay if you liked the tunes. In my opinion, your number one option is a dyno tune. Your number two option is an email tune with possible datalogging to refine the tune if needed.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I wouldn't, there are 100's of tuners out there that will provide you a tune you can use the SCT X4 to load on to your car and then with some data logging will refine it. Most will also revise the tune as you make more mods.

The Ford Performance tune is very good for an otherwise stock car and it keeps your warranty intact. But, Ford will not revise it for other mods.

Sponsored

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
ford performance tune cuts your warranty in HALF, so be aware of that...

what I am wanting to know, is ford "software flagging the 18 mustangs? i bought basically the super extended warranty for 90k miles, and i have an X4, but i havent used it yet. now that i have some mods however, its getting time to do that, but I am obviously not wanting to ruin my warranty.

any help on this?

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
ford performance tune cuts your warranty in HALF, so be aware of that...

what I am wanting to know, is ford "software flagging the 18 mustangs? i bought basically the super extended warranty for 90k miles, and i have an X4, but i havent used it yet. now that i have some mods however, its getting time to do that, but I am obviously not wanting to ruin my warranty.

any help on this?
Not so on the warranty, FP assumes any tune related issues for 3 year/36,000 (from date of sale). After that 5 year / 50,000 kicks in but no coverage for tune related issue.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I flashed my car with mere 180 miles on the ODO. The Ford factory tune was lame/annoying/crap - boost was stuck at 10psi unless you put the pedal on the floor - and there was also a gigantic hole in the throttle behavior. The canned tune I got on the SCT purchased thru Unleashed was a revelation. I will still be data-logging and sending in for updates but now my 220HP GTI can no longer embarrass the heck out of a so-called Mustang.

I was amazed how much a tune woke up and invigorated the V6 'stang, I guess the same transformation should have been expected. Oddly enough the boost has gone way down but the engine drives 10x better.
Sponsored