Sponsored

Anyone participate in Time Trial/Time Attack?

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Been contemplating about giving it a try next year or so, and it looks like it's under NASA. I'm curious if they allow multiple drivers for same car?
Sponsored

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
With NASA, they do allow it. You'll both have to pay an entry fee and you'll essentially have to split the sessions daily. Check with your specific NASA region time trial director as they all run it a little differently.

If you have any more questions, ask away. I'm not an expert, but I've run time trials with NASA since 2009 and can find an answer or the right person to talk to.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You have to be signed off into DE3. At that point, you will complete a NASA TT check ride through the regional TT director. Once you pass your check ride, you get a provisional TT license. Once you complete 2 events incident free, you can apply for a hard-card, annual license(again, requires your regional TT director to sign off on it).

Sponsored

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
With NASA, they do allow it. You'll both have to pay an entry fee and you'll essentially have to split the sessions daily. Check with your specific NASA region time trial director as they all run it a little differently.

If you have any more questions, ask away. I'm not an expert, but I've run time trials with NASA since 2009 and can find an answer or the right person to talk to.
So if it's 4 20 min sessions for the day, I'd do 2 and the other driver 2? Thanks for the info!

How do you like it?

Don't you have to advance past HPDE 4 with NASA?
Yes. Working that now.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
So if it's 4 20 min sessions for the day, I'd do 2 and the other driver 2? Thanks for the info!

How do you like it?
That's a pretty good rule of thumb. Sometimes TT is 15 minute sessions. Sometimes you get 5 sessions, sometimes 4 sessions. This is done for several reasons. Generally speaking, you grid by fastest to slowest cars. Within 2-3 laps, the fast cars have caught the slow cars(low hp cars, not necessarily slow) and give up as they won't have an optimal/fastest lap(and are respectful to not mess up the low hp car laps). Most are also running Hoosier A7's. You'll generally have your fastest lap within the first few laps.

I enjoy time trials. I enjoy chasing times, competing against similarly prepped cars, and having the opportunity to win contingenies to make to make this sport a little more affordable. I don't get the same enjoyment out of HPDE generally, but you can certainly chase lap times doing that as well. If I ever get tired of time trials, I'll go back into w2w racing probably. I just don't have the time to ever really pursue either as far as I'd like to. That's life and a good problem to have. That's another reason I like time trials though, it's lower risk than w2w racing.

I think the S550 GT, with a stock engine, would make a great TT4 car. It also limits you to 275 tires and take a point hit for A7/AutoX super sticky tires and aero... so you can have a pretty competitive car without dropping too much in mods.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I run NASA TTD in a Civic Si, caged and gutted ex SCCA SSB car. I like TT as it is about the ultimate time and like Brent said it is usually 3 intense laps and done. Depending on who shows up I can win Hoosiers, often enough that I haven't paid for tires in 3 years. I still like DE for different reasons running with friends and street cars.

Peter

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Great info. I've never done NASA TT, only race classes (in my thunder roadster). But there really isn't a lot of NASA events around here anyway. But I've done a few other Time attack events like Global Time Attack with great success.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's a pretty good rule of thumb. Sometimes TT is 15 minute sessions. Sometimes you get 5 sessions, sometimes 4 sessions. This is done for several reasons. Generally speaking, you grid by fastest to slowest cars. Within 2-3 laps, the fast cars have caught the slow cars(low hp cars, not necessarily slow) and give up as they won't have an optimal/fastest lap(and are respectful to not mess up the low hp car laps). Most are also running Hoosier A7's. You'll generally have your fastest lap within the first few laps.

I enjoy time trials. I enjoy chasing times, competing against similarly prepped cars, and having the opportunity to win contingenies to make to make this sport a little more affordable. I don't get the same enjoyment out of HPDE generally, but you can certainly chase lap times doing that as well. If I ever get tired of time trials, I'll go back into w2w racing probably. I just don't have the time to ever really pursue either as far as I'd like to. That's life and a good problem to have. That's another reason I like time trials though, it's lower risk than w2w racing.

I think the S550 GT, with a stock engine, would make a great TT4 car. It also limits you to 275 tires and take a point hit for A7/AutoX super sticky tires and aero... so you can have a pretty competitive car without dropping too much in mods.
Great info once again. I'm surprised they even allow A7's. I'd like to eventually get into W2W, but looking at the costs it's a little pricey so it will be a little while. Then there's the issue of finding people who are knowledgeable and able to help on the team.

I run NASA TTD in a Civic Si, caged and gutted ex SCCA SSB car. I like TT as it is about the ultimate time and like Brent said it is usually 3 intense laps and done. Depending on who shows up I can win Hoosiers, often enough that I haven't paid for tires in 3 years. I still like DE for different reasons running with friends and street cars.

Peter
That's nice that they give some rewards/prizes...I didn't think they did at these events.
I have a 2000 Civic Si I currently use as daily that may just become a TT car so I don't have to abuse the Mustang too much :D Any engine mods on yours?

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm surprised they even allow A7's.
If you want to win, you have to run A7's. Most of the w2w guys run A7's as well. They don't ever fall off completely. They just get a greasy and slow down a couple seconds... which are generally still faster than an R7. I've had about the same amount of used between the A7 and the R7. The R7 heat cycles out well before it loses all of it's tread. The A7 will eventually cord. About the same life for both though and the A7 is faster.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to win, you have to run A7's. Most of the w2w guys run A7's as well. They don't ever fall off completely. They just get a greasy and slow down a couple seconds... which are generally still faster than an R7. I've had about the same amount of used between the A7 and the R7. The R7 heat cycles out well before it loses all of it's tread. The A7 will eventually cord. About the same life for both though and the A7 is faster.
In the letter classes A7's are too point intensive to run. R7 is now the droid.

Peter

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sonnic

The 06 K20 responds well to bolt ons and just headers, intake and a tune get me to max WHP for TTD. Race Koni's, springs and sways for suspension. Stoptech BBK front brakes, 17 X 9" enkei with 225/40 17 R7 Purple Crack and the rest of my points go for weight reduction. The NASA Hoosier contingency is very good :hail: and Maxxis is also :thumbsup: plus Hawk Bucks.

Peter

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
max WHP for TTD.
I was curious about this part...do they have a rolling dyno at tech inspection or do they just have you dyno your car at a shop prior to TT event?

For those that went NASA TT route, how many events do you have to do at one HPDE level before moving to the next one? I'm not super familiar with their format, I've only done SCCA events. In SCCA as a Beginner you have to do at least 4 events before being moved to Intermediate, then another 5 events (i think) at intermediate before going Advanced.
Sponsored