Sponsored

Anyone made the move from a PP2 to a Mach 1?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
From what I've seen from the interior, I prefer the S550. I'm not into the electronic touch screen gadgetry. I really enjoy reaching out and grabbing a knob to turn something one or off/up or down. Its another reason I didn't buy a premium back in 2018 ... just unwanted fluff for me. Just a personal preference is all.
Don't blame ya one bit, I like the ol' analog aesthetic also.
Sponsored

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
This is what I was referring to with the cherry picking. When it comes to a track car, things like improved front and rear subframe cradles, toe links, steering ratios, spring rates and bushings matter. Sure a better transmission with a shorter gear ratio is noteworthy, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in the case of the Mach 1. The extra HP across the entire power band doesnā€™t hurt either in my opinion.
I think you'd be surprised by just how many of the parts/features you listed above on the Mach are shared with the PP2. Different part #'s don't always mean a completely different part. This isn't a who's better comparo, so no one needs to jump on that train to hell.

As a sum of the parts, both are incredible and probably so closely matched that you might not know which car you were in if you didn't notice prior to jumping in. Yeah sure, the shifter, chassis plaque, etc would be different, but I would guess it to be that close. The 10HP is probably not noticeable unless Ford purposely rated it lower than actual output (and they may have). I'd love about 6lb of boost but that would just add to my weight and heat issue.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
The rear differential is a non issue since it can be fixed with a few dollars worth of thermal wrap and switching to an heavier oil
ā€¦. You must have missed the few posts in this thread addressing this ā€œissue ā€œ
Like I said. I guess the rear end doesn't over heat like the PP2 in their test.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Like I said. I guess the rear end doesn't over heat like the PP2 in their test.
Do you track your M1?????
People that track their pp1/2 have said many times on this thread that it is a non issue because itā€™s so cheap and easy to deal with it
What else do you want??
We are all happy for you that you have a M1 but frankly youā€™re now making a fool of yourself

Last edited:

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Do you track your M1?????
Not at all. Never will be tracked. I think either I'm writing it wrong or everyone is interesting it wrong. I guess the pp2 doesn't overheat like the pp2 does in their test.

I bought this car because a similar optioned gt was 58k. I got the Mach 1 at 62k.

It's a cars and coffee car. It gets a ton of attention and strikes up great conversations.

Sponsored

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
I think you'd be surprised by just how many of the parts/features you listed above on the Mach are shared with the PP2. Different part #'s don't always mean a completely different part. This isn't a who's better comparo, so no one needs to jump on that train to hell.

As a sum of the parts, both are incredible and probably so closely matched that you might not know which car you were in if you didn't notice prior to jumping in. Yeah sure, the shifter, chassis plaque, etc would be different, but I would guess it to be that close. The 10HP is probably not noticeable unless Ford purposely rated it lower than actual output (and they may have). I'd love about 6lb of boost but that would just add to my weight and heat issue.
most of what I mentioned are take offs from the GT350 or GT500 and even though the car was only marketed aa 20 extra PEAK horsepower, actual Dyno comparisons have it closed to 40HP across the entire power band with some added torque too. It was never a whose better comparison, my apologies if I came off that way. Iā€™m only highlighting things I feel make the Mach 1 a worthy replacement for buyers like you coming over from the PP2. From the sounds of it youā€™ve modified your PP2 to the point of being plenty for track duty, nothing wrong with keeping it until we see what then next Gen has for us.

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)

https://www.google.com/search?q=mus...ate=ive&vld=cid:59192040,vid:5hLK2p_pkMU,st:0

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
From what I've seen from the interior, I prefer the S550. I'm not into the electronic touch screen gadgetry. I really enjoy reaching out and grabbing a knob to turn something on or off/up or down. Its another reason I didn't buy a premium back in 2018 ... just unwanted fluff for me. Just a personal preference is all.
Hmm, maybe you've seen something I haven't, but the spy pics I remember seeing of the interior didn't seem to indicate that there would be many fewer buttons or knobs. I think it was pretty similar, just laid out differently, and of course with some updates like bigger screens and whatnot.

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, maybe you've seen something I haven't, but the spy pics I remember seeing of the interior didn't seem to indicate that there would be many fewer buttons or knobs. I think it was pretty similar, just laid out differently, and of course with some updates like bigger screens and whatnot.
I see 1 knob ... not that I need a dozen, but I really prefer what we have presently.

2024-Ford-Mustang-13.jpg

2024-Ford-Mustang-21.jpg

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
most of what I mentioned are take offs from the GT350 or GT500 and even though the car was only marketed aa 20 extra PEAK horsepower, actual Dyno comparisons have it closed to 40HP across the entire power band with some added torque too. It was never a whose better comparison, my apologies if I came off that way. Iā€™m only highlighting things I feel make the Mach 1 a worthy replacement for buyers like you coming over from the PP2. From the sounds of it youā€™ve modified your PP2 to the point of being plenty for track duty, nothing wrong with keeping it until we see what then next Gen has for us.
I understand, but do you also understand the PP2 had take offs from the GT350? ... its not exclusive to the Mach 1. Regardless, enjoy your car .. if you ever get to Road America for a Shelby Club event, look me up.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I see 1 knob ... not that I need a dozen, but I really prefer what we have presently.

2024-Ford-Mustang-13.jpg

2024-Ford-Mustang-21.jpg
Wasn't the other knob used for seeking on the radio? Does anyone actually use that anymore? lol but honestly if that's a problem for you, there's not much I can say, but I don't think we have nearly enough info to say that the new Stang's interior will be overwhelmed by tech and touch screens. That doesn't really seem like something Ford would do to this car to me, and there's so many things that could be improved, too... and I still see tons of buttons in there.

To be fair, I'm biased, but I'm in a weird bucket. I work in tech and I'm certainly no Luddite -- I love a lot of the tech we get in new cars. Big touch screens and climate control and Android Auto and digital clusters and memory seats and the like are all cool features to me... I don't even mind some of the features that come with the on-board modem, though I hate the idea of Ford tracking my every move, so I'll probably disable that modem before long. However, I still love all the things that make a proper Mustang a proper Mustang... The analog feel of an NA V8 mated to a manual transmission and hand brake is unbeatable. At the moment, looks like all the good stuff is going to remain in tact next gen.

Long story short, I think your concerns might be misguided.

Mavtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1 #3530
Vehicle Showcase
Just made the jump from a 2019 PP2, was taken in an accident, driver hit me, and my car sacrificed itself for my safety.

Now I have come in ownership of the 2022 Mach 1 Premium with Handling Package.

The Mach 1HP is everything I had hoped the PP2 would be.

I'm liking the handling of the Mach 1 vs the PP2. It feels more reserved than the PP2, and I feel more confident, albeit I felt confident in the PP2 as well. Grip seems to be in the same ballpark, but the handling of the magneride is much tighter, like normal mode in the Mach 1 feels like the Sport + on the PP2. The Sport + on the Mach 1 feels more like Track mode on the PP2.

The engine is only 270 miles in at this point, I'm breaking her in easy.
So no idea how she will feel once she is broken in, but even with slow steady pressure to the pedal, this car has some oomph.

I will say I was surprised at the interior of the Mach 1, the seats from the Premium 700A equipment group are much nicer than the 700A in the GT group. What appears to be thicker leather on the seats, better perforations, improved heat/AC function compared to 2019 year.

The Sync 3 is much smoother than the 2019 model.

The transmission has been the biggest difference though.
The Tremec is simply a better transmission than the MT-82, particularly the ones from 2019, as the 2nd gear would lock out when accelerating hard and then 2nd gear would not engage and would lock out until rpms below 4.5k. I made it work, but definitely not perfect.

The Mach 1's transmission is simply great. Reliably engaging gears each time. It is smooth and engaging. Like butta.

I had an MGW Short Throw Shifter on the PP2, which I loved dearly.
I plan to get the MGW Short Throw Shifter for the Mach 1 as well. They are simply delightful to do business with and produce a quality product.

And one small bit of advice, my PP2 with Cup 2's vacuumed up nails and bolts, and literally anything else on the roads in South Phoenix when I got her so I put Michelin Sport 4S on all 4 corners with the 305/30 R19s.

The Sport 4S did not vacuum up nails, and the performance was damned close to the cup 2's for my purposes, but with the improved wet traction, and in the Arizona heat the 4S get sticky just like the cup 2's for grip without the magnetic attraction to objects to puncture them. I plan on taking the Cup 2's off and saving them for the track.

When I lost my PP2 I was heartbroken.
I never felt the way about a vehicle that I felt about the PP2. I even wrote to Ford to express to them that the PP2 was simply a Divine vehicle, even with the little problems it did have.

The Mach 1HP is the optimized evolution of the S550, all the stupid problems have been minimized. The solutions are well known and easy to access.

I'm looking forward to my life with the Mach 1HP.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
I made the move from PP2 to mach 1 because I was too late to get a order in for 2020 PP2.I almost got a 2020 camaro SS 1LE,but was just a little to late it sold.So start look into the Mach 1 but it was a little pricey to me plus all the ADM.I was going to ordered a 2021 camaro SS 1LE but none of the dealers had allocation so I try ordering a 2021 Mach 1 because dealer would sell a msrp but the didnt have allocations and in one week ford accepted order for a sept 2021 (order in July)

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
The PP2 is and will remain much, much rarer than the M1
If you donā€™t aggressively track your car, no need for coolers
If you track your car, usually wrapping the exhaust around the differential and using 75/140 gear oil, take care of the rear differential
A good quality oil cooler, i like the horizontal design of the Harrop, can be had for less than $1k
That leave us with the tranny, a new Tremec can be installed for around $4k
As for the 10 hp difference, itā€™s well within engine tolerance and is a non issue
Anyhow, you have by far the rarest S550 Mustang
For me , it would not even be a question
I don't believe the pp2 will be more rare. It's been out almost the entire life of the s550. I've seen so many of them just say to day or CnC etc. still have yet to see a Mach here, limited run for three years. I think the tremec alone is worth it. The Mach will hold its value longer as well

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
I understand, but do you also understand the PP2 had take offs from the GT350? ... its not exclusive to the Mach 1. Regardless, enjoy your car .. if you ever get to Road America for a Shelby Club event, look me up.
Hey Jeff, I know this was not directed at me personally but weā€™ll be at RA for, hopefully, both of the NWSC events. Maybe our paths will cross, itā€™d be nice to see your PP2 and chat a bit.

http://www.nwshelbyclub.com/northwood-shelby-club-spring-fling-event/

http://www.nwshelbyclub.com/48th-annual-midwest-invitational-at-road-america/
Sponsored