Sponsored

Anyone know what would cause one wheel to poke but not the other side?

SonicBlur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I recently installed Steeda Progressive springs on my 16 GT. On the driver front, I get fender rubbing on dips. On the front passenger side I get nothing of the sort. When the car is stationary, I can fit a finger between the tire and where the fender meets the bumper. On the driver side, there damn near NO space and it looks like the wheel pokes out ever so slightly in comparison to the passenger side. I have yet to get an alignment since the install but it just seems so weird that one side is so off and the other isn't.

The rear has zero issues, FWIW.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Until the wheel cambers are measured it's not possible to give an answer. Even knowing what the wheel camber are, there's still the matter of sheetmetal tolerances allowing some side to side variation. There might even be a little side to side variation in ride height.

What wheels are you running? If they're not original to the car, there's at least some chance that there are width or offset differences. For example, with the Performance Package the rear wheels are half an inch wider than the front wheels, and it has been known for front to back mix-ups to occur when the tires are rotated.

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP
SonicBlur

SonicBlur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Until the wheel cambers are measured it's not possible to give an answer. Even knowing what the wheel camber are, there's still the matter of sheetmetal tolerances allowing some side to side variation. There might even be a little side to side variation in ride height.

What wheels are you running? If they're not original to the car, there's at least some chance that there are width or offset differences. For example, with the Performance Package the rear wheels are half an inch wider than the front wheels, and it has been known for front to back mix-ups to occur when the tires are rotated.

Norm
I don't have the exact wheel specs as I bought mine used but they are VS08 forged wheels. 20x10 front and 20x11 rear. The previous owner stated the fronts are +50 and the rears are +50 or +55. All I know is that he had these make for his 18+ GT so I'm a bit worried that they were measured to his exact car. Before I lowered the car I did not have any issues, FWIW.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Get a steeda IRS alignment kit, install, then go for a alignment. Problem solved.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed Steeda Progressive springs on my 16 GT. On the driver front, I get fender rubbing on dips. On the front passenger side I get nothing of the sort. When the car is stationary, I can fit a finger between the tire and where the fender meets the bumper. On the driver side, there damn near NO space and it looks like the wheel pokes out ever so slightly in comparison to the passenger side. I have yet to get an alignment since the install but it just seems so weird that one side is so off and the other isn't.

The rear has zero issues, FWIW.
alignment. camber.

I had an alignment done, they was perfect leaving, later that week, my right side tire was \ into my wheel, left side was perfect.

come to find out, the tech didn't tighten down something, and it loosened up. and the wheel went inward at the top some. no damage, they fixed it when I went back.

going to see if I have a photo.
only have the left side now. they both looked like this, but then the right back wheel, sloped inward at the top like \ , was def noticeable.

I say this because my issue was alignment, the tech didn't tighten everything back up enough.
BC763745-8302-461F-8EC3-4C69E62D85DF.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
oh, and if both tires are straight up and down, your body actually may not be aligned on the frame. I put Steeda frame alignment dowel's in. they was like 30 bucks, they went into the subframe.

these little guys. took like 10-20mins to install all 4 on jack stands. though I dont know if it was that easy because I was doing other stuff or not. cant remember, but it was not hard.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-irs-subframe-alignment-kit-2015-all-555-4438.html

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Front camber isn't adjustable, so lets hope its not too asymmetrical from the factory. Its going to be a little imperfect, but not much.... and there's no way those 20x10s are ET50 (they wouldn't clear the struts)

OP
OP
SonicBlur

SonicBlur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Front camber isn't adjustable, so lets hope its not too asymmetrical from the factory. Its going to be a little imperfect, but not much.... and there's no way those 20x10s are ET50 (they wouldn't clear the struts)
Yeah, you're right. Those specs are impossible.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I just had the IRS subframe alignment kit installed on my STOCK suspension and wheels and the left rear wheel still sticks out a bit more than right, and the right wheel is slightly off center in the wheel well.
I was hoping the sleeves would square everything up, but seems like the chassis/subframe was off to begin with even though the subframe is perfectly aligned now with the kit. Kind of a bummer.
Sponsored