Sponsored

Anyone know if euro tail lights are legal in Florida?

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The only thing I can find is that they have to be red/amber, but isn't clear if that means all of the time or just when lit.
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Iā€™ve seen a few cars in Florida with euro tail lights. Regulations are much tighter in Europe as well so basically anything thatā€™s good enough to work in Europe will work in the U.S.

OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yea I just found what I was searching for this enire time. Florida Statue 316.221 https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/0316.221

"(1)ā€ƒEvery motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp."

So there's my answer, but still a little confusing because it says "emit". Does that mean all of the time or when lit?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Emitting red light when required would mean under braking or when your lights are on. They donā€™t want you to have green tail lights or some other color that wouldnā€™t cause a person to resgister youā€™re stopping your vehicle :)

Many manufacturers use clear euro style lights as factory equipment (think Nissan).

Third - Florida is the last place to give a damn about tail lights as long as the work. No state inspections and it shows.. some real hoopties cruising around.

OP
OP

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That's what I thought. There are some of "those cops" around here that try to get you for everything so wanted to make sure for sure before buying them.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Those are FEDERAL regulations, so it doesn't matter where you live, or where you bought the car. If it's a US car, it's good for the entire country :D. And as noted, turn signals are better in amber, so nobody is going to give you grief for that. And the color of the lenses doesn't matter, as long as parking and brake lights light up red, and turn signals red or amber, and sequential or not (I disabled that crap, by the way :)).
Sponsored