Sponsored

Anyone install factory Carbon Fiber dash ?

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Probably the flash but that forged carbon looks a lot busier than the forged carbon you see on the hyper cars these days

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Forged CF came in my Durango Hellcat, and it looks cool. I still prefer the weave though. The forged just has splotches of white and gray in it. It definitely doesn’t look as spotted as the pic above.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT500 CFTP
That looks like the back of a factory piece with carbon bonded to it. When you swap can you weigh the factory piece and this carbon piece. That will for sure tell you.
This is the factory carbon fiber dash as it comes from ford - it IS a 2 piece design - the fascia is real cf throughout, the rear part of the panel is abs plastic that the cf is mounted to.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I recently purchased the oem cf dash for my gt350r - my car did not come with this option - the previous owner installed the trufiber kit throughout the interior which I’m not a fan of so I wanted to convert it to oem.

The cf dash I bought came out of a car that had under 10 miles on it being exported to Australia and converted to right hand drive. I paid $1,500 which I was happy to do. No blemishes, no damage, perfect condition.

Haven’t installed it yet but it looks super easy…
Any pictures of the trufiber dash compared to the OEM piece? CF wasn't an option for my 17R and Im considering adding it but the trufiber seems to be decent at best.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Forged CF came in my Durango Hellcat, and it looks cool. I still prefer the weave though. The forged just has splotches of white and gray in it. It definitely doesn’t look as spotted as the pic above.
Forged does not have white or grey, that’s just the way it reflects light. It looks different under different lighting.

Here’s my hood vent in sunlight:
281BE805-4AE4-4DD1-996B-E44F6956A9F0.jpeg

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
This is the factory carbon fiber dash as it comes from ford - it IS a 2 piece design - the fascia is real cf throughout, the rear part of the panel is abs plastic that the cf is mounted to.
I understand, the after market carbon typically is a factory piece with a 2x2 twill resined to a factory piece ( 2 pieces). That looks a lot like it. I was curious if there is a weight difference in a factory abs piece and the factory carbon piece.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I installed it on mine. Everyone has 2x2 weave, I’ve seen very few people with forged. I’ve never been a big fan of doing the same tired look that’s been around for decades.
DADEEC60-A88D-4F19-8C62-BA17BEACD494.jpeg
I watched a video on how this forged carbon fiber is made…pretty cool. The light reflection makes it look very busy.
Looks like it would be fine for cosmetic pieces but not very strong for structural integrity. Just my two cents.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I watched a video on how this forged carbon fiber is made…pretty cool. The light reflection makes it look very busy.
Looks like it would be fine for cosmetic pieces but not very strong for structural integrity. Just my two cents.
This kind, no. It’s a skin over a fiberglass base. Real forged carbon is structurally superior to 2x2 weave but also much more expensive.

Sponsored

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
This kind, no. It’s a skin over a fiberglass base. Real forged carbon is structurally superior to 2x2 weave but also much more expensive.
Is it? I thought I read that they don't use it in aircraft manufacturing because it is less strong and durable. However, for many applications, it has a lot of other benefits over woven carbon fiber, such as being cheaper and easier to manufacture.

"Though forged carbon fiber doesn’t offer nearly as impressive tensile ratings or strength as normal carbon fiber, it can be utilized in a more structural capacity that allows it do perform applications that traditional pre-preg weaves can’t. It can also be manufactured at a much cheaper cost than traditional carbon fiber. Forged carbon also sports a unique “marbled carbon” appearance."
https://hiconsumption.com/complete-guide-to-carbon-fiber/

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I bought from ebay after searching this forum and somebody recommended HR Performance. https://www.ebay.com/itm/185093041496?hash=item2b1867ad58:g:pQUAAOSw3xJfh29a

Price is all in which is good because I wanted to keep my original parts. I asked him if he could do matte which he was able to. No regrets. I think it came out pretty good. In some lights it looks a little golden that doesn't show from the pics.

Easy install, just watch some youtube videos and you will be fine.

Dan

PXL_20211113_181204713.jpg

PXL_20211113_181213234.jpg

PXL_20211113_181140631.jpg

PXL_20211113_181208758.jpg
The matte looks great in these photos. How durable or scratch resistant do these seem to be? I like this much more than all of the glossy dash photos I've seen. Less is more.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Is it? I thought I read that they don't use it in aircraft manufacturing because it is less strong and durable. However, for many applications, it has a lot of other benefits over woven carbon fiber, such as being cheaper and easier to manufacture.
"Though forged carbon fiber doesn’t offer nearly as impressive tensile ratings or strength as normal carbon fiber, it can be utilized in a more structural capacity that allows it do perform applications that traditional pre-preg weaves can’t. It can also be manufactured at a much cheaper cost than traditional carbon fiber. Forged carbon also sports a unique “marbled carbon” appearance."
https://hiconsumption.com/complete-guide-to-carbon-fiber/
Sounds like that article didn’t even do a cursory check of where forged CF came from and how it’s used. Initial startup is definitely not cheaper, and forged is much easier to mold into complex shapes.

“Forged composite contains higher fiber volume content, which combined with higher variation in strand orientation, increases the average strength and reduce variability over standard carbon fiber.”

Here’s a link for ya to read up on it.

https://carbonfibergear.com/blogs/c...ged-composite-a-new-way-of-using-carbon-fiber

BuckeyeGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Race Red, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali
The matte looks great in these photos. How durable or scratch resistant do these seem to be? I like this much more than all of the glossy dash photos I've seen. Less is more.
Thank you!

Not sure about durability, but I think I remember him saying they use the same type of final spray that any other CF manufacturer would. I have only had them in the car since the end of October and I haven't driven it much since then because of the cold. Fine scratches definitely won't show as much as glossy CF. I can say that pretty confidently. Just like matte paint doesn't show scratches nearly as much as glossy paint.