Sponsored

anyone install a mishi oil separator on their ecoboost?

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
That's it I am done, there is no physical way to remove the disconnect and hose from the manifold side, I have tried every trick in the book for hours and it it's just not possible. What all these instructions don't tell you is how to unlock a quick disconnect when it's locked and in position, it's just not possible, so..

I am selling my mishimoto oil separator (for ecoboost engine) at half price ($75) to whoever wants it.

It has been opened but not connected, it is brand new, never got any of it on the car, never even got to that point because I couldn't and still can't get the existing connectors off of the car.

Terry
Sponsored

Lukasha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Blue Dream
Yeah, I found installing my Mishimoto can was very difficult and mostly because none of the instructions I found (written or video) did an adequate job of showing how to remove the stock tube. I ended up getting the bottom one off first because I could see it better and had more room for my hand (I put the car on ramps and went underneath). I kept trying things until I finally got it free then used what I learned on how it worked to get the top one free. After I got the damn tube off, the installation of the Mishimoto was super easy.

Jeff

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That's it I am done, there is no physical way to remove the disconnect and hose from the manifold side, I have tried every trick in the book for hours and it it's just not possible. What all these instructions don't tell you is how to unlock a quick disconnect when it's locked and in position, it's just not possible, so..

I am selling my mishimoto oil separator (for ecoboost engine) at half price ($75) to whoever wants it.

It has been opened but not connected, it is brand new, never got any of it on the car, never even got to that point because I couldn't and still can't get the existing connectors off of the car.

Terry
Just lift the car and get it from underneath!

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just lift the car and get it from underneath!
Are you talking about disconnecting the existing quick lock and hose from the manifold side..reaching up from the underside of the car to do it?

All I have is a jack and jack stands, is that enough room to reach it or do I need a lift?

Thanks for all the help
Terry

Lukasha

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Blue Dream
Are you talking about disconnecting the existing quick lock and hose from the manifold side..reaching up from the underside of the car to do it?

All I have is a jack and jack stands, is that enough room to reach it or do I need a lift?

Thanks for all the help
Terry
All I had were ramps and it gave me enough room to get at it from underneath. I also had a big cardboard box flattened out that I put under so I could slide around easy.

Jeff

Sponsored

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
WELL IT'S OFFICIAL , I SUCK!

After hours of trying to get the quick connect hose off of the topside manifold I was finally able to do it by completely removing the engine cover.

Then I jacked the car up and looked for the other end off the hose on the engine block, looked for hours, between the lame install video and my veins beginning to burst in my neck from anger, I quit.

That's it no more, put it all back together and that's the end of it, if I want it installed will have to hire someone to do it or just sell the oil separator.

Terry :frusty::frusty:

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Just looking at doing my catch can, I can't even get the inlet & outlet pipes attached to the can correctly? Or maybe I am and just don't know it since theirs no bloody instructions.
All the videos I've watched the pipes screw in dead easy & fit flush to the can. I've almost damaged mine trying to snug them up with a spanner, they go so far in then become impossible to turn, spanner just slips round the nut (since they're made of plastic!). I messaged mishimoto about it and got no reply.
image.jpg

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
WELL IT'S OFFICIAL , I SUCK!

After hours of trying to get the quick connect hose off of the topside manifold I was finally able to do it by completely removing the engine cover.

Then I jacked the car up and looked for the other end off the hose on the engine block, looked for hours, between the lame install video and my veins beginning to burst in my neck from anger, I quit.

That's it no more, put it all back together and that's the end of it, if I want it installed will have to hire someone to do it or just sell the oil separator.

Terry :frusty::frusty:
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. If it's any consolation, you're not the only one running into a aneurysm-inducing amount of frustration. I wasted several hours trying to get it from underneath before finally following others' advice and removing the intake manifold for easier access (using Adam at Tune+'s video). This "30-60 minute job" according to Mishimoto ended up taking almost 6 hours, and I had to reference several different videos and sets of instructions. I also had pain in two of my fingertips for over 2 weeks from pushing on those damn clips so hard, trying in vain to get them off by hand. IIRC I got them off by pressing hard on the top white part with a flathead screwdriver. Others said they had luck breaking the clip off.

Misihimoto's product seems to be high quality, but the instructions are terrible/nonexistent. They don't even cover how to get the connections off (they don't even show it - ridiculous). I even had to consult someone else's video to see how the catch can mount is oriented. Pathetic.

Based on your posts so far, I think you'd be best just taking it to a mechanic to finish the install. If you feel like taking one more shot, I would suggest removing the intake manifold, although that is a lot of steps and work. Either way, I wish you luck.

Last edited:

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Just looking at doing my catch can, I can't even get the inlet & outlet pipes attached to the can correctly? Or maybe I am and just don't know it since theirs no bloody instructions.
All the videos I've watched the pipes screw in dead easy & fit flush to the can. I've almost damaged mine trying to snug them up with a spanner, they go so far in then become impossible to turn, spanner just slips round the nut (since they're made of plastic!). I messaged mishimoto about it and got no reply.
I don't think they need to be flush. Unfortunately, I'm not near my car so I can't check, but IIRC just get them snug, then turn a bit more until they're pointed down. I'm pretty sure I had a bit of thread still showing after I got mine in. It's an NPT thread (I think) so it's tapered, and therefore not necessarily meant to go flush all the way.

Here's a picture from another gentleman's install video (I have the link set up to the point where he's showing the fittings installed):

Mishi's instructions are a bad joke. I don't know if you've already done the piping install, but if you haven't here are a few tips:
- If you can't get the existing fittings off by hand (I couldn't) try pushing down on the top of the white clip with a flathead screwdriver (while simultaneously pulling outward on the clip with your other hand). Unfortunately, this may prove impossible for the lower connection if you're working under the car with it jacked up. Which leads me to my next tip...
- IF you can't get the piping done from underneath the car, it will probably be easier to do both connections from the top by removing the engine cover and intake manifold (that's what I did finally). It's a good bit of work, but none of the individual steps are terribly difficult. Here's the video I used for reference:
- For final piping/routing check, reference the video I showed way up above (the one referenced for the fittings). You can also look at his picture of the installed catch can for the alignment of the bracket, because Mishimoto doesn't even show the proper installation orientation for their damn bracket in their video. (:paddle:)

Also, others have said that instead of doing the "push down on the top with a screwdriver" technique for the clips that they simply broke the clips.

I wish you luck, sir.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I am really surprised the difficulty folks are having with the hose connection on the intake manifold. After removing the engine cover I just reached in with a long flat blade screw driver and pressed on the release tab and it popped right off.

The other end on the PCV valve on the side of the block was the pain. I have a lift so I went from underneath. The release tab was pointing up and after 20 minutes of fiddling and not being able to push down hard enough to get it to release it I used a small screw driver a push the clip from below until it broke and off came the hose.

Putting the new hoses on and mounting the catch can took less than 15 minutes.

Total time from start to finish was less than an hour and if the release clips were of the same design as the ones on the replacement hoses it would have been an easy 30 minute install.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Catch can

Hey guys!

I am very sorry about that, I just got your email from the marketing team and I just sent you over an email. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

I don't think they need to be flush. Unfortunately, I'm not near my car so I can't check, but IIRC just get them snug, then turn a bit more until they're pointed down. I'm pretty sure I had a bit of thread still showing after I got mine in. It's an NPT thread (I think) so it's tapered, and therefore not necessarily meant to go flush all the way.

Here's a picture from another gentleman's install video (I have the link set up to the point where he's showing the fittings installed):

Mishi's instructions are a bad joke. I don't know if you've already done the piping install, but if you haven't here are a few tips:
- If you can't get the existing fittings off by hand (I couldn't) try pushing down on the top of the white clip with a flathead screwdriver (while simultaneously pulling outward on the clip with your other hand). Unfortunately, this may prove impossible for the lower connection if you're working under the car with it jacked up. Which leads me to my next tip...
- IF you can't get the piping done from underneath the car, it will probably be easier to do both connections from the top by removing the engine cover and intake manifold (that's what I did finally). It's a good bit of work, but none of the individual steps are terribly difficult. Here's the video I used for reference:
- For final piping/routing check, reference the video I showed way up above (the one referenced for the fittings). You can also look at his picture of the installed catch can for the alignment of the bracket, because Mishimoto doesn't even show the proper installation orientation for their damn bracket in their video. (:paddle:)

Also, others have said that instead of doing the "push down on the top with a screwdriver" technique for the clips that they simply broke the clips.

I wish you luck, sir.
I am very sorry to everyone for the video installation. We do realize that after have seen customers having trouble installing this product that we are re shooting the installation video to make any install easier.

Please anyone feel free to PM us or shoot me an email over to [email protected] and I will me more then happy to help :)

~Sammyy

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I got my local auto shop to install it yesterday, I thought the hose that comes out was like 2 1/2 feet long to match the length of the new hoses combined, I was wrong the thing is like 10 inches long, that explains why I couldn't find it under the car..I was looking in all the wrong places, lol.

Terry :headbonk:

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
Anyone in the Dallas area wanna install mine for me ? :D

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This is what one is removing before installing the two new hoses with the catch can in the middle, I measured it, it is 8 1/2" long. ;)
IMG_8147.JPG
Sponsored