Sponsored

anyone install a mishi oil separator on their ecoboost?

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to install mine and it's impossible. There is no way in the world to reach down underneath the engine cover and loosen the quick connect hose on the manifold side without taking off the engine cover, in order to do that I need to take off my strut brace, in order to do that you have to remove the positive batter cable, this is nuts.

Has anyone been able to do this, does the engine cover easily remove or does one have to drill out what appears to be plastic connector screws in the top in additional to removing the nromal bolts?

And then to get to the quick connect hose on the engine block side one has to either lift or jack the car, when jacking the car is there one jack point in front or will I have to jack the one side put it on stands and then the other?

Also when one disconnects the hoses is fluid going to come out?

Thanks
Terry :frusty:
Sponsored

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
i went in through the front. had to remove the belt & move the pulley out of the way, but was doable after that. still got scratches on my arm but it wasnt too bad

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Found out the plastic engine cover can be removed be taking out the two 8mm bolts and the two 10mm bolts, no drilling of plastic screws needed, I will probably go this direction to get to that manifold side quick connect/hose.

Still would like to know best way to jack car per question asked above.

Thanks
Terry

Kcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Vehicle(s)
TY EcoBoost Prem Vert Auto PerfPkg Nav
Engine cover removal.

I have the Ford Racing tower brace which allows the engine cover to be removed without taking it off. 2 bolts, 2 nuts and a bit of wiggling. I did mine from the top, a bit of a chore but then again I'm a pretty big boy. Hire a tiny armed person for the one connection.

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Never really looked at it but it might be possible to unbolt the engine cover and slide it out from underneath the strut brace, will have a look see tomorrow when I try it.

Had the car out this morning, letting it cool off before I try it, how long does one supposed it would take to cool off before I can work on it?

Terry :)

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
the engine cover is super simple. There are 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding it on. Kinda scary that you are thinking of using a drill to get the engine cover off. lol.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
the engine cover is super simple. There are 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding it on. Kinda scary that you are thinking of using a drill to get the engine cover off. lol.
In theory, drilling holes could improve cooling for the top of the engine and also reduces weight. :ninja:

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
ok, I get it, stupid question about drilling out plastic fasteners on the engine cover which I now know are fake, no need to do anything like that.. I get it.

Terry :eek::eek::eek:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
If you think the connection on the manifold is hard wait to you try and get the hose off the PCV valve down on the side of the block. I wound up breaking the retaining clip on the factory hose to get it off. Lots of folks recommend removing the intake manifold from the engine to save the aggravation.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
If you think the connection on the manifold is hard wait to you try and get the hose off the PCV valve down on the side of the block. I wound up breaking the retaining clip on the factory hose to get it off. Lots of folks recommend removing the intake manifold from the engine to save the aggravation.
Yup my first catch can was a Mishimoto and it was a pain to install. When I went to a upr dual valve cc I pulled the intake off and it was actually much quicker to do that way and I didn't have to raise the car up or lay on the ground either.

Sponsored

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
A friend let me use his hoist and I went up through the bottom--believe me the installation video makes it look like you can remove it from the top but I found it was impossible.

dsabat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I just installed mine yesterday. It was a pain, but not too bad.

I went from the bottom to get the block line on, there was plenty of room. A good flashlight is helpful.

For the manifold line, I used a flat head to get the stock line off, then fed the new line in the from the front. Once I managed to get it over the tube, I could push it on with my fingers. It was harder than the block line.

The rest is easy.

Wulf Titan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM A/T
Wow! I was thinking about buying one and installing it myself but after reading all this i might send it to Cobb Plano if the price is right. just goes to show that the claimed install times are always bs! Mishi said it can be done in under 30 minutes...

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Still can't get the hose connector off the manifold side, finally found me some instructions that make sense, will try again tomorrow, lol

Terry

Last edited:

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just lift the car and get it from underneath!
Sponsored