Sponsored

Anyone have their 5.2L motor replaced by Ford? Timeline?

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
Hey

I am interested in finding out how long it takes from the time it is determined that your motor had to be replaced by Ford under warranty until it gets installed and you got your car back

Looking forward to hearing from everyone

thanks
Jack
Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Mine spent longer waiting on the voodoo, then fixing CELs after, than it did to actually replace it. If they have a motor available you wont be down long

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
Mine spent longer waiting on the voodoo, then fixing CELs after, than it did to actually replace it. If they have a motor available you wont be down long
I recently heard it took about 3 weeks. The dealer is still diagnosing it which is frustrating

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I recently heard it took about 3 weeks. The dealer is still diagnosing it which is frustrating
if it were an earlier model that drank oil you'd be driving it around for another 1000 miles (their test) before they approved anything. then they could tell ya the voodoo is on backorder for 6 weeks...

i'm in no way minimizing how much your situation sucks, just letting you know 3 weeks aint too bad if that's all said and done. i wish you luck and hope it's even faster than 3 weeks

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Mine took about 4 business days to diagnose the problem, send pictures to Ford hotline, and get approval for engine replacement under warranty. Then it took about 3 seeks to get the engine to the dealer, then about 10 days to replace it. The dealer told me after it arrived that they will work on my car after they finish working on another vehicle. It looks like only the dealer's master mechanic is allowed to do engine replacement for the GT350's. Like others here said, the actual engine replacement work is a week or less.

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
What is the issue with the car and what year is it?
It is an ‘18 with 15,000 miles on it. Motor is stock. No issues until the oil pan had to be replaced for a leak. 70 miles later - no oil pressure.

The dealer took 3 days to determine it wasn’t from the oil pan replacement but that the oil pump ‘broke’. Assuming the gear stripped. They’ve been working with Ford to diagnose. I found out today that Ford just approved a new engine

now they are doing the paperwork to the new engine. The service mgr estimated a few weeks tops

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
Completely dependent on which dealership is doing the work. The first dealership I took it to said it would take 3 months. The second dealership I took it to had it done in 15 days.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
It is an ‘18 with 15,000 miles on it. Motor is stock. No issues until the oil pan had to be replaced for a leak. 70 miles later - no oil pressure.

The dealer took 3 days to determine it wasn’t from the oil pan replacement but that the oil pump ‘broke’. Assuming the gear stripped. They’ve been working with Ford to diagnose. I found out today that Ford just approved a new engine

now they are doing the paperwork to the new engine. The service mgr estimated a few weeks tops
For me, after the paperwork was approved, the engine came within the next day or two. This was all pre-pandemic though.

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
For me, after the paperwork was approved, the engine came within the next day or two. This was all pre-pandemic though.
I am hoping my situation is like yours. When I spoke to the service mgr, I said, so we’re looking at a month. He said no no no. Much less time than that. So I am hopeful

ParmesanPrime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
'09 Honda Civic, '16 GT350 Tech
My engine was found to have burned 3 quarts of oil in 1000 miles (after 2 weeks to diagnose, plus the 1000 mile "test drive"). After the 1000 miles, it was another 2 weeks for Ford to refuse an engine replacement and opted to replace the cylinder heads and head gaskets. The gaskets were backordered, so my car sat at the dealership November 13 to January 26. I have it back now, but I made very clear if the issue comes back i wont settle for less than a new engine.

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
My engine was found to have burned 3 quarts of oil in 1000 miles (after 2 weeks to diagnose, plus the 1000 mile "test drive"). After the 1000 miles, it was another 2 weeks for Ford to refuse an engine replacement and opted to replace the cylinder heads and head gaskets. The gaskets were backordered, so my car sat at the dealership November 13 to January 26. I have it back now, but I made very clear if the issue comes back i wont settle for less than a new engine.
i hope it was fixed properly but I would have the same reservations you do. Not a fan of them tearing the engine apart to replace parts that should never have failed.

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
Just got my 350 back from the dealer. Turns out the oil pump gear broke apRt. Spread metal all throughout the engine. New motor in it now. time to break it in !!!
Sponsored