Anyone have a Sto N Sho disappear?

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Went to check my oil today and noticed my front plate missing. The mounting block w/pin is still there, don't see any damage. It's garage kept so it must have come off while driving, which I think would have made a racket under the car. Or someone stole it, but find that hard to believe being I'm always with the car. So now I need new plates and a way to mount the front. I hate to have to buy a factory front bracket and drill holes in my bumper but I know it won't fall off!
Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Went to check my oil today and noticed my front plate missing. The mounting block w/pin is still there, don't see any damage. It's garage kept so it must have come off while driving, which I think would have made a racket under the car. Or someone stole it, but find that hard to believe being I'm always with the car. So now I need new plates and a way to mount the front. I hate to have to buy a factory front bracket and drill holes in my bumper but I know it won't fall off!

Don't drill :surprised:

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Craig's mount. Sticks to the underside of the bumper.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
Don't drill :surprised:
I had the exact same problem. The plate just disappeared and I noticed it when walking up into my garage. I thought the same thing that I would here it rattle around and hit under the car when it fell off. Not sure how it happened but all the solutions out there looked less secure than this one. I guess drilling is the only solution. I live in NJ which means getting a new plate is going to be a very difficult event. I have an appointment with the MVC (DMV) in two weeks, first available appointment and no more walk ins are allowed.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Curious. I had mine on my 2015 GT Premium for five years and no problem other than having to lubricate the pin so it would release when I wanted it to.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'll be the voice of dissent here and admit that I don't understand the hate for the S550 OEM plate mount at all. It's really one of the less terrible factory mounts in many years.

I've been there, not wanting to drill that bumper, on several cars. But EVERY alternative plate mount I've ever used has had an issue of some sort. Every. Single. One. When I ordered my '15 I was obsessed yet again with mounting the front plate, but the more I thought about it the less I cared. I had it put on and never thought about it again. It will never fall off or fail, outside an accident.

There are far more important things to worry and obsess about.....

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Keep the license plate in your glovebox. When you get pulled over take it out and say the car was recently repaired and you haven't had time to replace the proper mount due to a parts shortage.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
I'll be the voice of dissent here and admit that I don't understand the hate for the S550 OEM plate mount at all. It's really one of the less terrible factory mounts in many years.

I've been there, not wanting to drill that bumper, on several cars. But EVERY alternative plate mount I've ever used has had an issue of some sort. Every. Single. One. When I ordered my '15 I was obsessed yet again with mounting the front plate, but the more I thought about it the less I cared. I had it put on and never thought about it again. It will never fall off or fail, outside an accident.

There are far more important things to worry and obsess about.....
AND...you hardly even notice it from the drivers seat.....lol. I'm with you, mount it and forget it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Keep the license plate in your glovebox. When you get pulled over take it out and say the car was recently repaired and you haven't had time to replace the proper mount due to a parts shortage.
I can't understand why anybody would be willing to risk getting pulled over . . . for a license plate violation.

Norm

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I can't understand why anybody would be willing to risk getting pulled over . . . for a license plate violation.

Norm
Because ef a front license plate. It’s a double standard depending on where your car is registered. All the Leo’s I’ve spoken with about it say it’s only used as a good laser point occasionally but beyond that it’s useless. If it was really necessary, the front of the car would be designed to accommodate it like the rear is. In my experience, drive like a sane person and nobody cares if your front plate is there or not.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I looked at how this mount works and see the pin goes though the bracket the plate attaches too. If the pin is still there how could the bracket just come off? So either it was not attached properly or it was removed. If it was the former that's not a problem with the bracket. If it was the latter you may want to inform DMV immediately.

Personally I used the Craig's bracket on my 15" EB when I lived in NJ. Forgot to put it back on once after a show and never put it back. Never stopped for it and it was not even mentioned the one time I was pulled over for a stop sign infraction.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Norm
It's all about appearance. The front end of the S550 look so much cleaner without that bracket attached to the bumper. That why aftermarket no-drill brackets are so popular.

OP
OP
Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
I looked at how this mount works and see the pin goes though the bracket the plate attaches too. If the pin is still there how could the bracket just come off? So either it was not attached properly or it was removed. If it was the former that's not a problem with the bracket. If it was the latter you may want to inform DMV immediately.

Personally I used the Craig's bracket on my 15" EB when I lived in NJ. Forgot to put it back on once after a show and never put it back. Never stopped for it and it was not even mentioned the one time I was pulled over for a stop sign infraction.
I ordered Craig's bracket yesterday and I'll see how that does. Lucky for me I can walk in DMV and for $10 get a new set of plates.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'

Norm
As others have said, it’s a personal thing but I don’t like the look of the front plate especially on the s550 because the bumper was not designed with a plate in mind. I haven’t been pulled over for it since I was in my early 20’s. Talking to a sheriff I knew at the time and he said it was just used an excuse for a stop. They see someone young driving at night and it’s an easy way to look in the car and see what’s going on. As I’ve gotten older I havent been bothered about it. The last time I got a ticket I think it was $10 or $15. Well worth it to me.
Sponsored