Sponsored

Anyone have a 2020-up Explorer?

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Car shopping for the wife and looking for a 3 row, midsized, suv. Considering Mazda CX9 and Explorer xlt.

Anyone own an Explorer or Ranger for that matter that can offer some insight? We will likely own this vehicle for about 100k miles.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Car shopping for the wife and looking for a 3 row, midsized, suv. Considering Mazda CX9 and Explorer xlt.

Anyone own an Explorer or Ranger for that matter that can offer some insight? We will likely own this vehicle for about 100k miles.
Latest Gen Explorer has had a number of recalls but remains a solid vehicle. The CX9 is great but has less space than some others.
Check this out. My daughter was shopping SUV’s and found the Hyundai/Kia twins to be outstanding values.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15380107/best-3-row-suv/

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
The 2020 being all new model year had lots of first year problems but the 21s are supposed to be much better.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I’ve never been able to get used to the narrow seats up front.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Wife has a 21 explorer st, so far so good

Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Wife has a 2020 Explorer with 30K miles on it all ready- we bought in Oct of 2019 so one of the very first ones built....it has been rock solid with no problems for all 30K miles ....my wife absolutely loves driving it - we have a fully loaded XLT- leather/ panel roof/ adaptive steering/ AWD exc. Mostly city driving and we are getting about 19.5MPG which is impressive for a 3 row SUV

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My wife has a 2020 Explorer Limited. So far its been great. I hear a lot of complaints about issues people are having but ours is ok so far. Very comfortable, enough power for her and lots of room. The 2.3 is a noisy little thing, but not obnoxiously so.
We do have an occasional issue with the back up camera showing a blue screen, I'll be bringing it in for that shortly. Common issue in 2020 Fords not just the Explorer

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I gave some pretty serious consideration to the Explorer ST, it's a pretty great package, decently quick, roomy (for a smaller-ish 3-row SUV), solid towing capacity, and with the 21" wheel package, looks killer.

I wasn't a fan of the upgraded AV system with the really awkward ~10" portrait oriented display, hell, even Tesla finally moved the displays in the S and X to landscape, like they should be - also a bummer, that even with the larger display, it's still Sync 3 based.

We currently have a coming-off-lease Durango RT (AWD, loaded - tow, upgraded audio, etc.), so I was shopping for something along the same lines, i.e., decent performance, 3 rows (mainly used as a 2-row). The ST is kind of nicely positioned performance-wise between the RT and the SRT.

Everyone can't seem to stop raving about how good the Hyundai/Kia new 3-rows SUVs are, they clearly break some rules in terms of content/luxury vs. price. the Kia with the Midnight package is also pretty fantastic looking, not the most engaging vehicles from a driver's perspective, but do a great job (apparently) with their intended use cases.

We went a totally different direction, but if I were looking for a 3-row, "sporty" SUV, I'd certainly go back to considering the Explorer (in ST trim).

OP
OP

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
We went and looked at a couple cars the other day. Wife was happy with the utility space but drivers area, i guess, made her feel like it was a truck or some such shit. I dont know, she is pretty short so it made the car feel bigger than it was. I liked it, seats were super comfortable, lots of space and outlets.

She flat refused to look at Kia/Hyundai.

We also looked at the Mazda CX9. She seemed to like it better, granted we looked at an XLT 202A explorer and a CX9 Signature (top model). The Mazda does have some nice features and is familiar because we already own a Mazda6 sedan. She seemed to like the Mazda a little more.

Järn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, Ruby Red, A10, B&O, AE
My wife has a 2020 Explorer Limited ( that trim level is enough luxury for us). It is a nice vehicle, lots of room for our vacations driving around the Great Lakes. We got it 15 months ago, and have 9000 miles. Only a few problems with it. I think it is a fine truck. The suspension is well balanced (springs/dampers). The B&O sound system is very nice. The 4-wheel drive is great in the snow/slush/ice. I enjoy driving it (a nice balance for the Mustang).
I would recommend taking a look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee L, it won't be out until the fall though. My wife does possibly want to switch to the Jeep in a few years.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Telluride/Palisade (as much as it pains me to say that) are much better offer than Explorer. However - many dealers have ADM on them (yes - unthinkable - that's how well they sell).

Explorers are IMO too expensive for what they are, although they look and drive well.
New Escape was one of the most hateful to drive vehicles I've driven in recent years.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
My wife and I do not require a three row SUV so when looking to replace her 18' Escape we looked at a 20' Hybrid. Great vehicle but ran into issues with the dealer and wound up ordering a 21' Volvo XC60. We got a regular version so it's no hot rod, but the interior is to die for. Now Volvo has the XC90 which does have three rows. Beautiful vehicle. All the luxury of a German brand without the price. Actually I'm only paying a few dollars more for the XC60 than the Escape would have cost.

We did look at others including the Koreans and Mazda but Volvo is really a sleeper. Great car, reasonable pricing. Might just want to check them out.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
We have a 2020 Telluride that my wife mostly drives. Bought it new in March of 2019. No problems with it at all. It's a really nice vehicle. 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. The only problem with buying one now is that many dealers are charging over MSRP.

20190316_160228.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
We have a 2020 Telluride that my wife mostly drives. Bought it new in March of 2019. No problems with it at all. It's a really nice vehicle. 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. The only problem with buying one now is that many dealers are charging over MSRP.
20190316_160228.jpg
That's what happens when great reviews create demand and supply cannot catch up. ADM on a Kia. That's something to think about. :facepalm: :giggle:

Last edited:
OP
OP

16COEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have looked into the Volvo XC60 and 90. That interior is damn nice. I kind of don't want to buy her anything too nice because she does work at Wal-mart and her car is beat the fuck up. Dents all over it and looks like someone has tried to key it more than a couple times. With that in mind I thought we might save a few bucks and get something in the 18-19 range with low miles but the used car market is wild right now, almost cheaper to buy new in some cases.

The prices on the 21 Explorers have dropped a little but I agree with them being over priced for what they are. But I think its probably the only car we are shopping where the sticker price is irrelevant, meaning there are rebates and dealers are willing to move on price to get it out the door. The XLT 202A with pano roof we looked at was stickered at 44k plus some BS dealer installed paint coating for 700. We were given a price of 38k right off the bat once we mentioned that we were cross shopping. In the XLT trims where we are looking, the interior isn't even close to the competition, the layout is good, the fit and materials are terrible.

At this point I may just decide to save some money and give her my 2001 Cherokee and start driving her Mazda to work.
Sponsored