Anyone have 800+ rwhp with stock cats?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Better to get rid of them before its too late, if im correct it can cause engine problems if they fail and get clogged. Smell on E85 isnt bad, you may smell it here and there when parked for a long period of time but tbh its practically the same, My girl doesnt notice it if that helps my bias opinion lol
Yep. Had a ring land failure due to plugged cats last year.
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So what exactly happens when a cat gets plugged to cause the failure? Too much back pressure I’m presuming?

Didn’t realize the suitcase could also cause it... common or uncommon failure?

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
So what exactly happens when a cat gets plugged to cause the failure? Too much back pressure I’m presuming?

Didn’t realize the suitcase could also cause it... common or uncommon failure?
I think aftermarket cats can melt/cave in and come loose and clog up the exhaust. I think the OEM cats usually crack and break into pieces or dust, I think a bit less of a chance of actually clogging the exhaust catastrophically atleast from some of the failures ive seen pictures of.

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I live and own a performance shop in Schaumburg IL. the whipple will 100% destroy your cats, it is not an if it is a when.

Illinois weather is also not conducive to happy cars, we have hot humid summers which makes cooling anything a nightmare. And don't plan on sitting in traffic on a nice hot summer day for more than 10 minutes or you will overheat. The whipple runs HOT, I would advise an upgraded radiator and whipples oversized heat exchanger.

I drove mine as a weekend warrior spirited highway driving and some street races. My cats and oem suitcase resonator didn't make it from june - november (about 6k miles). At the time the car was on a whipple stage 2 kit, whipple tune, and stock exhaust. melted the passenger side cat and blew out one of the baffles in the resonator.
One reason I went with the P1X. Cool as can be. IAT's rarely more than 10 degrees over ambient.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
One reason I went with the P1X. Cool as can be. IAT's rarely more than 10 degrees over ambient.
What sort of IATs at the end of the 1/4 mile or 1/4 mile highway pulls?

Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Tuning is a huge key to making the cats live.
Keep in mind cars like the GT500 and Redeyes make really big power while including full warranty and supporting emissions components.

If the bricks crack/break, you’ll see metallic flakes show up on your exhaust tips. We got through 2.5 years of strictly 1/4 mile and dyno pulls on our 880 rwhp Redeye before we saw the signs of failure and ordered replacements. Upon removal they weren’t that bad and likely would have been fine for a while.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
What sort of IATs at the end of the 1/4 mile or 1/4 mile highway pulls?
I haven't seen anything over 20 degrees above ambient. The Stage 2 intercooler & MAK Hurricane inlet really keep air flowing.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
What device are you using to measure iat2?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I live and own a performance shop in Schaumburg IL. the whipple will 100% destroy your cats, it is not an if it is a when.

Illinois weather is also not conducive to happy cars, we have hot humid summers which makes cooling anything a nightmare. And don't plan on sitting in traffic on a nice hot summer day for more than 10 minutes or you will overheat. The whipple runs HOT, I would advise an upgraded radiator and whipples oversized heat exchanger.

I drove mine as a weekend warrior spirited highway driving and some street races. My cats and oem suitcase resonator didn't make it from june - november (about 6k miles). At the time the car was on a whipple stage 2 kit, whipple tune, and stock exhaust. melted the passenger side cat and blew out one of the baffles in the resonator.
Are you saying the engine will over heat if you idle a whipple car in high ambient temp?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of whipples overheating while idling.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Are you saying the engine will over heat if you idle a whipple car in high ambient temp?
I’ve posted log after log; the Pd blower “heat soak” issue is drastically overblown. And no, a Whipple doesn’t measurably change the effectiveness of the stock cooling system.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Yeah, I could not drive my car in Chicago traffic on a summer day with the base GT radiator. This was also a base model gt not the PP1/PP2 that come with the big boy radiators. The base GT has a tiny 1 pass radiator that was smaller than the oversized heat exchanger that came from whipple.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Yeah, I could not drive my car in Chicago traffic on a summer day with the base GT radiator. This was also a base model gt not the PP1/PP2 that come with the big boy radiators. The base GT has a tiny 1 pass radiator that was smaller than the oversized heat exchanger that came from whipple.
PP radiator core is 12mm thicker than base GT unit, FYI.
Sponsored