Sponsored

Anyone have 800+ rwhp with stock cats?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I live and own a performance shop in Schaumburg IL. the whipple will 100% destroy your cats, it is not an if it is a when.

Illinois weather is also not conducive to happy cars, we have hot humid summers which makes cooling anything a nightmare. And don't plan on sitting in traffic on a nice hot summer day for more than 10 minutes or you will overheat. The whipple runs HOT, I would advise an upgraded radiator and whipples oversized heat exchanger.

I drove mine as a weekend warrior spirited highway driving and some street races. My cats and oem suitcase resonator didn't make it from june - november (about 6k miles). At the time the car was on a whipple stage 2 kit, whipple tune, and stock exhaust. melted the passenger side cat and blew out one of the baffles in the resonator.
I installed this Whipple Stage 1 (750hp kit) at 14k miles, 2 years ago. Car has seen 1 dyno session with 3 pulls, a little over 8k miles in 2 years consisting of racing 1/4 mile at the dragstrip and weekend cruising. I'm not a top speed freak, so it has never seen top end pulls, ever.

Racing wise, including street pulls, it has probably 2-300 passes on it give/take.

Car has never ran anything but the supplied Whipple tune, and put down 643 RWHP on the dyno, on 103ish octane. Car is entirely stock less the Whipple kit. It has been a solid setup you can enjoy and never worry about. However, it certainly does appear the catalyst face is starting to have some issues. But, then again, I do not have a before pic to compare it to when the blower was installed either......so perhaps it was this way to begin with.

No codes, no cat problems or power issues before there were 'replaced' and this picture taken.
So this is the struggle right here: One person's experience says 100% going to kill the cats in short order, the other is a more positive note with close to 300 passes before there was a suspect issue noticed once the cats were removed after plenty of use & abuse.
Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
So this is the struggle right here: One person's experience says 100% going to kill the cats in short order, the other is a more positive note with close to 300 passes before there was a suspect issue noticed once the cats were removed after plenty of use & abuse.

Actually both of our cars cats lasted about the same amount. I just did it in a shorter time frame, but I was also on the stage 2 where he was on the stage 1 kit.

Mine lasted about 6k miles of abuse.

His lasted about 8k miles of abuse.

Inevitably the cats will go bad and its best to deal with them before that happens.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Actually both of our cars cats lasted about the same amount. I just did it in a shorter time frame, but I was also on the stage 2 where he was on the stage 1 kit.

Mine lasted about 6kish miles of abuse.

His lasted 8kish miles of abuse.

Inevitably the cats will go bad and its best to deal with them before that happens.
Well my car normally sees about 2-3000 miles a year and probably 25 drag strip passes a summer. Maybe I'll worry about this in a few years. LOL

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Well my car normally sees about 2-3000 miles a year and probably 25 drag strip passes a summer. Maybe I'll worry about this in a few years. LOL
Yeah its certainly not do or die, right this second. There are much bigger priorities for you right now lol.

Do you have OPG/CSS? High rpm shifts will snap the oem opgs and turn your car into an oversized paperweight real quick supposedly there are changes in the 18+ that make the opg/css less of an issue for those but my 19 has them done anyway.

Do you have half shafts/drive shaft? Power adder + prepped surface + oem halfshafts/driveshaft and something is going to snap.

On a side note I made it 3 whole passes before i broke my oem halfshaft with the whipple.

Last edited:

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
I had stock cats on a 530whp procharged car for maybe 18k miles. Replaced them with green cats but the stock ones looked and ran perfect.

anyone know if e85 is easier on cats?

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yeah its certainly not do or die, right this second. There are much bigger priorities for you right now lol.

Do you have OPG/CSS? High rpm shifts will snap the oem opgs and turn your car into an oversized paperweight real quick supposedly there are changes in the 18+ that make the opg/css less of an issue for those but my 19 has them done anyway.

Do you have half shafts/drive shaft? Power adder + prepped surface + oem halfshafts/driveshaft and something is going to snap.
I have OPGs and CS, upgraded driveshaft, half shafts, driveshaft loop and beefy clutch going in the car with the Whipple. A few other suspension goodies as well. My biggest concern at the moment is the MT82 lasting.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I have OPGs and CS, upgraded driveshaft, half shafts, driveshaft loop and beefy clutch going in the car with the Whipple. A few other suspension goodies as well. My biggest concern at the moment is the MT82 lasting.
Hell yeah. Thats going to be a very nice build! Definitely have to show it off when shes all done. Hopefully I will get to see it in person at a cars and coffee or cruise night this summer!

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had stock cats on a 530whp procharged car for maybe 18k miles. Replaced them with green cats but the stock ones looked and ran perfect.

anyone know if e85 is easier on cats?
Who’s your current tuner and what green cats did you get? Thanks

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Hell yeah. Thats going to be a very nice build! Definitely have to show it off when shes all done. Hopefully I will get to see it in person at a cars and coffee or cruise night this summer!
Yeah, should be fun! I'm in Naperville, so not terribly far from you.

Sponsored

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
I have 801 whp with a 2650 setup. I've had this for over a year and a half. It works great, I haven't had any problems with them.

My 10r80 tho.... different story.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
what's so hard about buying GT500 headers?
Can someone find a part number? I wonder if they’ll bolt on or if the o2 sensors are located different or the collector size or location is different.

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Who’s your current tuner and what green cats did you get? Thanks
I had two tunes on the stock cats. Procharger tune for maybe 8k miles and a local shop tune for another 8 or so. Swapped to kooks green cats when I got it tuned by lund

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had two tunes on the stock cats. Procharger tune for maybe 8k miles and a local shop tune for another 8 or so. Swapped to kooks green cats when I got it tuned by lund
My car seems as healthy as before with the stick cats and Lund tune as well. How’s your green cats so far?
Sponsored