Sponsored

Anyone have 800+ rwhp with stock cats?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Anyone have experience with OEM cats and 800+ rwhp for a long time? Are they basically guaranteed to break at 800 rwhp if you do some occasional high speed pulls and 1/4 miles etc?
Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I had them with a vortech JT, e85, and a 3.33 for awhile. Ended up doing something different when I went 3.12

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had them with a vortech JT, e85, and a 3.33 for awhile. Ended up doing something different when I went 3.12
Notice any degradation or damage on the OEM cats after you switched the setup? How do you like it with the new setup? Hows the smell on e85 etc? Im a bit hesitant , I have MAK deletes that I am going to try, but if I dont like it I may get the OEM cats cut to 3" and welded into the mak pipes.

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Notice any degradation or damage on the OEM cats after you switched the setup? How do you like it with the new setup? Hows the smell on e85 etc? Im a bit hesitant , I have MAK deletes that I am going to try, but if I dont like it I may get the OEM cats cut to 3" and welded into the mak pipes.
I'm fairly certain my oem cats were failing before I made them vanish.

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Better to get rid of them before its too late, if im correct it can cause engine problems if they fail and get clogged. Smell on E85 isnt bad, you may smell it here and there when parked for a long period of time but tbh its practically the same, My girl doesnt notice it if that helps my bias opinion lol

Sponsored

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
20210124_170319.jpg

2 years at 750 crank HP pictured here. Car is entirely stock and ran great still, however as you can see the face of the cat brick appears to have some issues starting. Took others advice and 'replaced' them.

Could have been that way before the blower install as well, who knows. But, that's what mine looked like.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
I wouldn't risk it personally. That's how a lot of the 18+ cars are blowing up at lower horsepower. Cat Protection goes to shit once you start pushing power. Leave it on and your car never makes the power it should, shut it off and you start running the risk of melting the cats, blocking up the exhaust, and then things start going to shit in your block.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have a Whipple stage 2 kit going on my car this week. Car has 100% stock exhaust and I have no plans to change it at the moment. I live in the great state of Illinois (sarcasm) with emissions. I had no cats on my previous mustang and it was loud and smelly. My wife hated it, my kids hated it. Plus I had to work around the emissions which was annoying. I have no plans to take the cats off this car.

It's primarily a street car, but I do hit a few drag race events a year. Just going to gross my fingers I suppose. The Whipple tune is supposedly only truly happy with stock stuff.

I figure the car should put down 600ish to the tire. I do plan to leave all the cat protection enabled with the supplied Whipple tune. I'm not chasing a hp number or ET at the track. Just want to have some fun.

For those that say "oh they didn't last" it would be helpful to have more info on how you were using the car, power it was making etc. I doubt they would last doing half mile events or long highway pulls. But I'm hoping they can hold up to typical street use and some 1/4 mile passes on occasion.

Are after market cats truly any better? I don't know. I find it hard to believe that most people running around out there with a power adder are not running cats. Been struggling with this topic...apologies for the lengthy reply!

Superman112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rafael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT performance package
I have a 17 that I’m looking to go FI and live in NY. Should I go with high flow cats ? I’m just nervous about going Catless when it comes time for inspections.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
aftermarket cats and boost don't mix stock cats can handle a little longer but eventually fail. even green cats eventually fail ... I'm at 750 whp and my American racing headers' complete exhaust system with cats showed evidence of failure 2 weeks after it was installed.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I have a Whipple stage 2 kit going on my car this week. Car has 100% stock exhaust and I have no plans to change it at the moment. I live in the great state of Illinois (sarcasm) with emissions. I had no cats on my previous mustang and it was loud and smelly. My wife hated it, my kids hated it. Plus I had to work around the emissions which was annoying. I have no plans to take the cats off this car.

It's primarily a street car, but I do hit a few drag race events a year. Just going to gross my fingers I suppose. The Whipple tune is supposedly only truly happy with stock stuff.

I figure the car should put down 600ish to the tire. I do plan to leave all the cat protection enabled with the supplied Whipple tune. I'm not chasing a hp number or ET at the track. Just want to have some fun.

For those that say "oh they didn't last" it would be helpful to have more info on how you were using the car, power it was making etc. I doubt they would last doing half mile events or long highway pulls. But I'm hoping they can hold up to typical street use and some 1/4 mile passes on occasion.

Are after market cats truly any better? I don't know. I find it hard to believe that most people running around out there with a power adder are not running cats. Been struggling with this topic...apologies for the lengthy reply!
I live and own a performance shop in Schaumburg IL. the whipple will 100% destroy your cats, it is not an if it is a when.

Illinois weather is also not conducive to happy cars, we have hot humid summers which makes cooling anything a nightmare. And don't plan on sitting in traffic on a nice hot summer day for more than 10 minutes or you will overheat. The whipple runs HOT, I would advise an upgraded radiator and whipples oversized heat exchanger.

I drove mine as a weekend warrior spirited highway driving and some street races. My cats and oem suitcase resonator didn't make it from june - november (about 6k miles). At the time the car was on a whipple stage 2 kit, whipple tune, and stock exhaust. melted the passenger side cat and blew out one of the baffles in the resonator.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I installed this Whipple Stage 1 (750hp kit) at 14k miles, 2 years ago. Car has seen 1 dyno session with 3 pulls, a little over 8k miles in 2 years consisting of racing 1/4 mile at the dragstrip and weekend cruising. I'm not a top speed freak, so it has never seen top end pulls, ever.

Racing wise, including street pulls, it has probably 2-300 passes on it give/take.

Car has never ran anything but the supplied Whipple tune, and put down 643 RWHP on the dyno, on 103ish octane. Car is entirely stock less the Whipple kit. It has been a solid setup you can enjoy and never worry about. However, it certainly does appear the catalyst face is starting to have some issues. But, then again, I do not have a before pic to compare it to when the blower was installed either......so perhaps it was this way to begin with.

No codes, no cat problems or power issues before there were 'replaced' and this picture taken.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live and own a performance shop in Schaumburg IL. the whipple will 100% destroy your cats, it is not an if it is a when.

Illinois weather is also not conducive to happy cars, we have hot humid summers which makes cooling anything a nightmare. And don't plan on sitting in traffic on a nice hot summer day for more than 10 minutes or you will overheat. The whipple runs HOT, I would advise an upgraded radiator and whipples oversized heat exchanger.

I drove mine as a weekend warrior spirited highway driving and some street races. My cats and oem suitcase resonator didn't make it from june - november (about 6k miles). At the time the car was on a whipple stage 2 kit, whipple tune, and stock exhaust. melted the passenger side cat and blew out one of the baffles in the resonator.
Ironically, the picture I posed above is from my passenger side catalyst, good thing I 'replaced' them when I did!

My resonator still looks good inside when I took pictures looking through it, but it certainly will be next up to get replaced.....

I never have had overheating issues, including idiling in 100+ ambient temps at the strip, and in traffic with the A/C on full tilt.
Sponsored