Sponsored

Anyone Happy with Springs Only

1972_todd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Fusion Titanium, 20' Mustang GT Premium
Fellow Stang Lovers! I want to lower my car about an inch maximum all around. It's my weekend car and not planning to track it. I'm satisfied with the stock ride quality, just want to close the wheel gap. I'm not looking to change my entire suspension. Anyone happy with and have springs only? How's your ride quality? What springs did you use. I'm looking at Steeda, Eibach and Whiteline. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You might get away with keeping the front stock, MIGHT but the rear don't even control the stock springs.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford X Springs or BMR Performance Springs are close to OEM rates and can work with your stock dampers.

I would still recommend better dampers though; tearing apart the car once is better than twice, and the handling benefits are pretty significant.

OP
OP
1972_todd

1972_todd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. I've been looking at springs vs. coilovers. I may just bite the bullet later this year and do the coilovers if springs alone won't work long term. Looking at KW, Pedders and Bilstein. Hate spending $1500 - $2500 but it has to be right long term.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The coil-overs based on your feedback are going to be overkill. If you are going to that level of suspension - you may be better off getting the springs, shocks & camber plates as a complete package:

https://www.steeda.com/build-suspension-kit

I can put you in contact with our lead tech if you want to discuss coilovers & spring rates that fit what is looking at - you can email me at [email protected].

TJ

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. I've been looking at springs vs. coilovers. I may just bite the bullet later this year and do the coilovers if springs alone won't work long term. Looking at KW, Pedders and Bilstein. Hate spending $1500 - $2500 but it has to be right long term.
Just be careful with the spring rates on many coilovers...most are so stiff they’ll shake your soul from your body.

TJ is right, you can score a great traditional street setup for $1k to $1.5k with springs, shocks, roll center correction, bars, and the lot. If height adjustability is critical, then pop for the coilovers.

OP
OP
1972_todd

1972_todd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The coil-overs based on your feedback are going to be overkill. If you are going to that level of suspension - you may be better off getting the springs, shocks & camber plates as a complete package:

https://www.steeda.com/build-suspension-kit

I can put you in contact with our lead tech if you want to discuss coilovers & spring rates that fit what is looking at - you can email me at [email protected].

TJ
Thanks, I simply want to reduce my wheel gap without ruining the ride quality. I don't see a need for multiple adjustments. The stock suspension is tight enough for my taste and driving. My driving can get a little spirited every once in a while, but not much.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I simply want to reduce my wheel gap without ruining the ride quality. I don't see a need for multiple adjustments. The stock suspension is tight enough for my taste and driving. My driving can get a little spirited every once in a while, but not much.
if you’re still on stock wheels, pushing those out to the fender lines with spacers or aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offsets does wonders for the appearance of wheel gap.

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
if you’re still on stock wheels, pushing those out to the fender lines with spacers or aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offsets does wonders for the appearance of wheel gap.
What size spacers would you use to do that

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What size spacers would you use to do that
there are threads on that topic. I’m not an expert. Something like 20 or 25mm for stock wheels.

Sponsored

Paulb909

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt premium 6 spd
I have 20” foundry wheels on my mustang. Can I just do front spacers ? The rear looks fine, I have 275/40r20 in the rear and 245/40r20 in the front. Is it safe to only do the front spacers ?

OP
OP
1972_todd

1972_todd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I’m still on the 19x8.5 stock black accent wheels. I thought about spacers before, but saw mixed reviews on their safety. I’ll take another look at those or maybe some 19x10’s all around.

Last edited:

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
im on BMR performance springs i think sp080 and stock shocks and have been happy with the ride quality. rear shock mounts helped too. i will prob do the ford track shocks when mine quit on me but the 080s were supposedly made for the stock shocks.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on bmr min drop springs with stock performance pack shocks all round. The front end is fine. The rear feels under damped. Looking to pop hood shocks on the back only.
Sponsored