Sponsored

Anyone happen to know the maximum current/power output from the accessory charger?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The one in the center console (not the USB port, but the regular 12V accessory port).

Forgive my ignorance if this is some standardized number for all cars, or is readily available info in the owner's manual, but I couldn't really find anything with a couple quick google searches.

I'm having a problem where my GoPro Hero 4 will not charge at the same time that it is recording video, even though GoPro says it should be able to do so as long as it's not connected to a computer or any host that could mount it as a drive (and it has worked for me using wall AC adapters).

My USB adapter is only rated for 1A, which could be the problem, but I thought that would be enough, so I just want to make sure the car port isn't the bottleneck by some chance... would be really weird for Ford engineers to allow so little power through that port, though.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
From the owner's manual on "12V DC Power Points".

Power points may be in the following
locations:
• On the instrument panel.
• In the center console storage
compartment.

Note: Do not use the power point over the
vehicle capacity of 12 volt DC 180 watts or
a fuse may blow.

180 watts divided by 12 volts = 15 amps. The power points are on a 20 amp fuse. They don't want it loaded more than 75% of the fuse rating.

If you ever get a flat and need to use the air pump in the trunk, that is the power port they tell you to plug the air pump into, so it can provide lots of power (up to 180 watts continuously).

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the owner's manual on "12V DC Power Points".

locations:
compartment.

Note: Do not use the power point over the
vehicle capacity of 12 volt DC 180 watts or
a fuse may blow.

180 watts divided by 12 volts = 15 amps. The power points are on a 20 amp fuse. They don't want it loaded more than 75% of the fuse rating.

If you ever get a flat and need to use the air pump in the trunk, that is the power port they tell you to plug the air pump into, so it can provide lots of power (up to 180 watts continuously).
Thanks for the info, GT.

Which is the power port they tell you to use? The center console one? From the first part of your description, I figured they were both rated at the same power.

But if the center console port provides 15A, then that's definitely not where my problem is... unless I have a defect, heh.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, GT.

Which is the power port they tell you to use? The center console one? From the first part of your description, I figured they were both rated at the same power.

But if the center console port provides 15A, then that's definitely not where my problem is... unless I have a defect, heh.
In the owner's manual for the use of the tire pump, it just says: "Plug the power cable into the 12-volt power point in the vehicle." So I'm assuming either one as shown below.

locations:
compartment.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My USB adapter is only rated for 1A, which could be the problem, but I thought that would be enough, so I just want to make sure the car port isn't the bottleneck by some chance... would be really weird for Ford engineers to allow so little power through that port, though.
So are you using one of those 12V to USB adapters that goes in the cigarette lighter port - "power port" in this case. If the USB adapter is maxed out at 1A that could be the issue. What's the GoPro manual say about charging in a car?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are you using one of those 12V to USB adapters that goes in the cigarette lighter port - "power port" in this case. If the USB adapter is maxed out at 1A that could be the issue. What's the GoPro manual say about charging in a car?
It doesn't say anything specifically about a car, unfortunately, or even anything about how much current it requires to both charge and record (although I believe it said it needed .5A to record at 1080p60, which is why I thought 1A would be enough).

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't say anything specifically about a car, unfortunately, or even anything about how much current it requires to both charge and record (although I believe it said it needed .5A to record at 1080p60, which is why I thought 1A would be enough).
When you charge in the house with the AC/DC charger you said it works right. What's the DC current output of that AC/DC charger? Should be on the sticker on the charger.

Maybe it can sense if a DC to USB adapter style charger is being used and thinks it's connected to a regular USB port and won't charge and record at the same time. :shrug: Could always give GoPro tech line a call if they have one. I doubt it's the power port in the car.

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
Just fyi, you don't want to use any charger over 1a - the battery will burst/balloon. Go Pro's site recommends using 1a: https://gopro.com/support/articles/recommended-chargers

& here: https://gopro.com/support/articles/using-the-camera-while-charging

On my contour (not a go pro, i know), in order to record & charge at the same time, you have to use the special usb cable supplied (has an extra pin). The go pro might be similar (suggested in the 2nd link). Not all usb cables are the same - some have more pins than others.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
it doesnt say anything there about using a charger that can output more than 1A. A 2A charger meets the gopro 1A requirement. A load pulls what it needs not what the charger is capable of.

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
it doesnt say anything there about using a charger that can output more than 1A. A 2A charger meets the gopro 1A requirement. A load pulls what it needs not what the charger is capable of.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. On the contour camera I was using, this was a known problem when using 2a chargers, especially for people who were recording and charging (stays connected to cjarger charger longer). There may not have been a proper regulator/limiter. I had to replace the battery ever few months until I changed to 1a wall charger.

There have also been cases with older go pros (I had this issue years ago). I found my problem through a go pro 1/2 thread that was trying to figure out why some people's batteries were ballooning. The newer go pros have probably addressed this issue. I personally just charge on a 1a circuit for my bullet cams just in case whenever I can. My battery bank has both outlets, so it's easy.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the power maybe dirty/noisy from certain sources like a car alternator, lithiums hate dirty power. I wasnt happy with the charge rate of the USB port under the start button so I bought a two port 2.1A charge to plug into the accessory plug.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Power plug vs USB port

My smartphone would slowly discharge when it was powered through the USB console port. I now use a power plug USB and the smartphone keeps a full charge!

DeltaMobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
"GoPro says it should be able to do so as long as it's not connected to a computer or any host that could mount it as a drive"

The problem is not power or the car. Plugging it in will mount it as a drive.

If you plug in a USB with music on it the cars computer reads and plays the music.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GoPro says it should be able to do so as long as it's not connected to a computer or any host that could mount it as a drive"

The problem is not power or the car. Plugging it in will mount it as a drive.

If you plug in a USB with music on it the cars computer reads and plays the music.
From what I gather, the OP is using one of these. He's not plugging into the USB port in the car, but rather into one of the 'power port' (ie, cigarette lighter style plug) with an adapter like shown below.

FUL1_F8Z445.jpg

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
The one in the center console (not the USB port, but the regular 12V accessory port).

Forgive my ignorance if this is some standardized number for all cars, or is readily available info in the owner's manual, but I couldn't really find anything with a couple quick google searches.

I'm having a problem where my GoPro Hero 4 will not charge at the same time that it is recording video, even though GoPro says it should be able to do so as long as it's not connected to a computer or any host that could mount it as a drive (and it has worked for me using wall AC adapters).

Thanks in advance.
To me, it sounds like the USB adapter yu are plugging into the 12v connector is limiting the current to your GoPro. Does the little adapter feel very warm when your GoPro is running? If so, it's probably overheating due to limiting the current draw
Sponsored