Sponsored

Anyone had their cars dyno tuned on site with Steeda?

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I don't live too far from Steeda's valdosta location and I had a few linkages/suspension parts ordered and figured i might let them do it (their install prices are not that much higher than my local guy and i am betting they are faster). While I am there i may get their CAI and rather than just doing an email tune, have the car dyno tuned onsite.

Anyone have any input with experience doing this?? It is a tunes for life package so if i make mods to it i can still get updates via email although i doubt i do much more to it other than the muffler delete and CAI I am already doing.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Long time ago back in 2005 with my 03 Cobra. I think they are using Lund now.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Long time ago back in 2005 with my 03 Cobra. I think they are using Lund now.
I wondered if it was Lund. That is actually ok with me as I like Lund tunes. Was actually going to buy the steeda CAI/Lunde tune from beefcake on the black friday sale but other purchases superceded that one in November.

However if they are doing a dyno tune aren't they tweaking it in real time a bit....or are they just doing a "before and after" dyno to make sure the numbers pan out as expected.

It looks like you are running a 93/E85 flex tune on yours? Can't do that with Steeda's box apparently so Ill go with 93.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Dyno tuning is a waste of time imo & money. Other than horsepower output for bragging rights there is nothing a dyno provides that the datalogs can't.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
Dyno tuning is a waste of time imo & money. Other than horsepower output for bragging rights there is nothing a dyno provides that the datalogs can't.
Not true at all. There is a BIG difference in looking at a log file after the case then actually having it on the dyno and being able to stop a pull because you see something in real time you don't like. You can get way more aggressive on the dyno then logging a car on the street. That being said, the dyno is just a tuning tool and a car should be run on the street after its dialed in on the dyno. Definitely not a waste.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a dog in that hunt one way or another except for leaving it in their capable hands turn key for the most part....unless it adds a bunch to the cost which i don't think it is.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I agree on live road logging best period. But, I also understand due to different environments and locations why people do not want to risk their licenses road logging.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
I've had mine Dyno tuned at Steeda, in Pompano Beach, FL. Well worth the effort, especially if you have done some modifications and what to grap every bit of fine tuning power. Their tunes are done exclusively in house and not sent out to Lund, this includes the emailed tunes.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
@Allentown,

I forgot to mention, I've had many Steeda parts installed by their technicians. Yea it costs a little more, but there's no question of their proficiency and the exceptional care they take with your car. Any mod that takes a lift or crawling under the car is well worth it considering your time and effort involved. I do enjoy doing my own work and have also installed many Steeda parts myself. For me, its just my cost effective analysis to do or not to do so. All of the installs Steeda has performed I would have done myself, if a Steeda installation was not an option.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I've had mine Dyno tuned at Steeda, in Pompano Beach, FL. Well worth the effort, especially if you have done some modifications and what to grap every bit of fine tuning power. Their tunes are done exclusively in house and not sent out to Lund, this includes the emailed tunes.
Interesting. When I talked to them again today they seemed to indicate that it is basically a canned tune for their CAI. On the other hand they did mention theirs is a tune for life no charge for additional modifications unless it is a supercharger which i don't think they can offer since Lund does a per tune charge.

@Allentown,

I forgot to mention, I've had many Steeda parts installed by their technicians. Yea it costs a little more, but there's no question of their proficiency and the exceptional care they take with your car. Any mod that takes a lift or crawling under the car is well worth it considering your time and effort involved. I do enjoy doing my own work and have also installed many Steeda parts myself. For me, its just my cost effective analysis to do or not to do so. All of the installs Steeda has performed I would have done myself, if a Steeda installation was not an option.
Did the basic bolt ons for the gtrac and subframe braces but would rather them do the linkages for things like the bump steer and toe links. I could probably throw the vertical links on. Their techs only charge about 10 to 15 more an hour than my local hot rod shop and are actually about $5 cheaper than a dealership.

Sponsored

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
You may find that Steeda's install price to actually be cheaper when you consider they have installed their parts on lots of Mustangs. They know the time effective way to do it and also their expertise guarantees it will be done right the first time. Most things suspension wise will require 4 wheel alignment which they do. You could specify any preference from stock to full track alignment. Do yourself a favor and have them install their IRS Subframe Alignment Kit. This will ensure your subframe is aligned and locked in place. It can be pretty far off from the factory and yes just doing that alone could require a rear wheel alignment. (Torque thrust angle)

Yes, their email tunes are canned tunes. I call them safe tunes meaning they are turn key. A Dyno tune is a custom tune and should squeak out some more HP. I used their email tunes for the no restriction CAI and with tunes for life, later added a Long Tube headers tune. They worked great. When I added the Shelby 5.2L Voodoo intake manifold and throttle body I opted for the Dyno tune at their urging. There is a bit of "Black Magic" involved because that combination was never intended for the 5.0 ECM. In particular, it is the Voodoo throttle body programing part that is tricky and is why you'll hear from many tuners that it doesn't yield any gains over the stock TB with an adapter plate. (Not true) I also had Steeda calm down the cam advance on a cold start so the 30 second start up bark was tamed. CAUTION - In South Florida, it doesn't get cold.

Check out this thread, it's kinda like my Steeda build thread.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/time-to-get-your-mustang-track-ready.83227/
1024x640_IMG_6857.jpg

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
You may find that Steeda's install price to actually be cheaper when you consider they have installed their parts on lots of Mustangs. They know the time effective way to do it and also their expertise guarantees it will be done right the first time. Most things suspension wise will require 4 wheel alignment which they do. You could specify any preference from stock to full track alignment. Do yourself a favor and have them install their IRS Subframe Alignment Kit. This will ensure your subframe is aligned and locked in place. It can be pretty far off from the factory and yes just doing that alone could require a rear wheel alignment. (Torque thrust angle)

Yes, their email tunes are canned tunes. I call them safe tunes meaning they are turn key. A Dyno tune is a custom tune and should squeak out some more HP. I used their email tunes for the no restriction CAI and with tunes for life, later added a Long Tube headers tune. They worked great. When I added the Shelby 5.2L Voodoo intake manifold and throttle body I opted for the Dyno tune at their urging. There is a bit of "Black Magic" involved because that combination was never intended for the 5.0 ECM. In particular, it is the Voodoo throttle body programing part that is tricky and is why you'll hear from many tuners that it doesn't yield any gains over the stock TB with an adapter plate. (Not true) I also had Steeda calm down the cam advance on a cold start so the 30 second start up bark was tamed. CAUTION - In South Florida, it doesn't get cold.

Check out this thread, it's kinda like my Steeda build thread.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/time-to-get-your-mustang-track-ready.83227/
1024x640_IMG_6857.jpg
IRS subframe alignment and subframe braces are already installed actually. :)

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I'm sure I'm in the tiny minority, but Steeda in Pompano installed my IRS alignment sleeves/spacers and proceeded to cross-thread one of the main IRS bolts when they put it back in. Not fun fixing that on my own, but I managed to do so. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to take the car back in to have them work on it again, but it did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from that first experience.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Steeda Valdosta treated me extremely well. Corrected all the mistakes my local shop did...like fixing the irs that had 3 of the 4 bolts cross threaded, rear shock mounts mounted upside down (really), one of the front endlinks on the wrong side of the strut, just to name a few. Very, very reasonable rates...they also installed their coilovers, adjustable sway bars, and adjustable endlinks.