Sponsored

Anyone get the Handling Package but wish they didn't?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Yea it's $1,900 for leather seats with memory function, heat cool, heated steering wheels, and the aluminum pedals. Personally, I couldn't fathom buying a $50k+ car without leather seats, so it seemed like an obvious choice. Of all the options, that one seemed very reasonably priced.

I guess if this car was for 90%+ track use I would have gone the 600a base and ripped out the seats/ordered the cloth Recaros, but that's the only scenario where it makes sense.
"Bro, ya gotta have them recaros tho..." 🤣

1665605236719.png
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Hi

Recently I started investigating on the Handling Package directly in Ford Performance website and chatted with them due a confusion I had after reading the text, in M-9602-M part number overview, saying:

"NOTE: Customers with a Performance Pack 2 equipped Mustang can upgrade by installing only the M-5300-W Spring Kit and M-5490-G Sway Bar Kit
NOTE: Mach 1 Base and Mach 1 HP have unique MagneRide suspension calibrations similar to PP2"

So, my understanding after reading this, is that Mach 1 Base and HP have the same tune for the magneride and you could improve them just by buying lower springs M-5300-W and sway bars M-5490-G, to which after kept talking to them, tried to confirmed this, and they replied:

"Unfortunately, my techlline reported that "Note" needs to be changed.
Here was their answer to my question:
Yea so we need to change that. Only Mach 1 handling pack cars have the pp2 cal
Base Mach 1 should get the whole kit M-9602-M "

In other words, and final interpretation is that the calibration on PP2s and Mach 1 HP is exactly the same, but if you are like me, with a Base Mach 1, you will need to buy this whole package with the VDM software if you are looking to improve handling to HP level

I leave here the link to what am referring to

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

And hope this conclusion helps somebody
Great info! I'm strongly considering a M1 and I'm thinking of going no handling pack as I would prefer to have standard wheel's and tires for street duty but want the handling package tuning. I could buy this upgrade kit (which I basically did for my PP2). Then buy the rest of the parts for maybe $2K. Too bad they don't sell the Magneride programming on it's own since I already have upgraded springs and sway bars but I suppose I could just sell my current springs and sway bars to off set some of the cost. I already have 18" wheels with track tires on them so I don't really need the SC2 tires. Then with this upgraded kit you'd actually have a little better handling then the M1 HP...if you added good tires.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP

Rynoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Premium, 6spd, GBM, chas N0121

In other words, and final interpretation is that the calibration on PP2s and Mach 1 HP is exactly the same, but if you are like me, with a Base Mach 1, you will need to buy this whole package with the VDM software if you are looking to improve handling to HP level
Wow I don't know how I missed this but better late than never!

If I find out who you talk to I'll buy a months supply of beer for him because that's the most informative discussion I've heard of about the suspension! Now I wish I could buy all of the parts separately because just the hardware is only $400 😂 that VDM software is pretty expensive!

I'll probably give this a try soon though. My conversion was put on hold due to a death in the family but I'll probably get awfully bored in the winter months and do this. Wheels, suspension, and camber plates are the only remaining items on my list.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I wish I could buy all of the parts separately because just the hardware is only $400 😂 that VDM software is pretty expensive!
Where are you seeing the parts for $400? Are you talking about just ordering the part numbers included in the handling package (4 springs and sway bars)? When looking at the upgraded package that includes the M5300W springs and 5490G sway bars and the software...you are actually taking the car beyond the PP2/M1HP level of suspension. Which just so happens to require the PP2/M1HP level of Magneride programming.

Sponsored

splatrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Ecoboost, 16 Camaro 2SS, 17 Silverado
So I just placed my order today and now I wait, but after putting it through I wonder if I should have omitted the handling package or not.

I love the look of the rear spoiler and the rims, I won't be tracking the car, so wonder if it was worth it or if I will notice

I also went with the elite package and the appearance package

Anyone not get the HP and wish they did, or did anyone get it and wish they didn't?

Thanks
I just picked up a 2022 Ecoboost premium with performance package and handling package. I too wanted it primarily for the wheels. After pricing out getting them as takeoffs and going thru the hassle of swapping out it did not make sense. However, I was surprised to find out that the Pirelli Corsa tires are track/competition rated tires with only a 60 treadwear rating. That is the lowest I have ever seen for a street tire. Likely will not get more than 6-8K miles before they are bald. I had a set of Goodyear eagle F1's with 180 rating that were bald at 13k miles. Even so, this handles great.

Rynoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Premium, 6spd, GBM, chas N0121
Where are you seeing the parts for $400? Are you talking about just ordering the part numbers included in the handling package (4 springs and sway bars)? When looking at the upgraded package that includes the M5300W springs and 5490G sway bars and the software...you are actually taking the car beyond the PP2/M1HP level of suspension. Which just so happens to require the PP2/M1HP level of Magneride programming.
Yeah the individual Handling Package parts are all relatively cheap. Good point on the upgrade part and considering the spring rates they found here, they are closer to feeling like a GT350R/GT500 suspension from what I gather. I'm really tempted to just use the HP springs though since they felt so good at the Track Attack. ALSO since I already have the rear sway bar from the HP, I wish I could get my hands on the VDM software and save $700+ 😭 I'll keep digging and maybe I'll find this VDM software around.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the individual Handling Package parts are all relatively cheap. Good point on the upgrade part and considering the spring rates they found here, they are closer to feeling like a GT350R/GT500 suspension from what I gather. I'm really tempted to just use the HP springs though since they felt so good at the Track Attack. ALSO since I already have the rear sway bar from the HP, I wish I could get my hands on the VDM software and save $700+ 😭 I'll keep digging and maybe I'll find this VDM software around.
Yeah I was glad to find that spring rate thread. I'm leaning towards just going for the HP. Since I was really hoping for a car that I just drive and don't feel the need to change anything out. I realize that may change down the road especially if my plans for a second fun car work out and the M1HP were to become track car 1st, street car 2nd.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Only regret.....extra chin spoiler and Cup2's !!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Hi

Recently I started investigating on the Handling Package directly in Ford Performance website and chatted with them due a confusion I had after reading the text, in M-9602-M part number overview, saying:

"NOTE: Customers with a Performance Pack 2 equipped Mustang can upgrade by installing only the M-5300-W Spring Kit and M-5490-G Sway Bar Kit
NOTE: Mach 1 Base and Mach 1 HP have unique MagneRide suspension calibrations similar to PP2"

So, my understanding after reading this, is that Mach 1 Base and HP have the same tune for the magneride and you could improve them just by buying lower springs M-5300-W and sway bars M-5490-G, to which after kept talking to them, tried to confirmed this, and they replied:

I leave here the link to what am referring to

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

And hope this conclusion helps somebody
Base Mach 1 has NO options. HP is just an option just like 700A , Elite package, Recaros or red brakes. :giggle:

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
FWIW you can get the wheels for about $1k and the spoiler for like $600.

Exactly, also if you don't mind the 10" wheel up front you can go SVE and save a bunch of rotational mass as well, almost 40lbs of rotational mass.

The non HP M1 has most of the good bits already

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's an aftermarket MagneRide controller being released: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-40-1016-101-mustang-magneride-controller
That's actually been around for a while directly from DSC Sport. Steeda just worked a deal to sell one programmed how they wanted it. I've heard from others that have used the DSC Sport one that it is a good upgrade. Once you have the one direct from DSC Sport you can also consider their Tractive coil overs which work like magneride but require their controller (and lots of money).

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase