Sponsored

Anyone ever loose "power" in their steering while on track?

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to me a couple times, but was coupled with "advanctrac" and "ABS" warning lights. Eventually chased it back to a drivers rear hub ring issue. There is a little metal "ring" on the inside of the hub and mine got bent/crushed out of place and would play havoc with the wheel speed sensor.

I'd check that first! Good luck
GOD, I wish it was that...I don't have wheel speed sensors, nor ABS, nor Advancetrac....this is a totally stripped down race car. Only stuff put back in was enough to make it move...no steering module either (unless it's located inside the rack housing)
Sponsored

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE - Well after fighting to get the rack out of the race car, I decided I was NOT going to fight the street car and it's long tube headers to get it's rack in and out....I bought a used one off Ebay and finally got it installed yesterday. All said and done it's one of those jobs that look daunting at first, but having done it, I could do it again in half the time (kinda like them long tubes...but I'm not taking them out JUST to get to the steering rack!! LOL). So took it for a ride around the neighborhood and it bucked back at me one time and one time only...rest of the 5 min drive it was perfect. Taking it to the track this weekend for an HPDE...wish me luck.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I haven't had it happen during a session, but last time I was at Autobahn it happened right as I was getting off track and got the yellow wrench light. Reset all the codes with ForScan and it hasn't happened since.

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
DOUBLE UPDATE - Soooooo put new rack in and hiccuped once driving around neighborhood (I'm sure neighbors just LUUVVVV me!) Decided to go through wiring again...used my telephone company training and did a wiggle test...BINGO found wiring was shorting out mid-way from rack to power source (no fuse to blow), pulled wiring completely out and recovered, convoluted tubing and heat shielding...all good now. Got it out on track and running like a champ....what's the bad news you ask? I've been so wrapped up in this power steering/wiring crap...I forgot to put gas in the car! LOL Almost ran out on track...I really need to get a gas gauge....

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
DOUBLE UPDATE - Soooooo put new rack in and hiccuped once driving around neighborhood (I'm sure neighbors just LUUVVVV me!) Decided to go through wiring again...used my telephone company training and did a wiggle test...BINGO found wiring was shorting out mid-way from rack to power source (no fuse to blow), pulled wiring completely out and recovered, convoluted tubing and heat shielding...all good now. Got it out on track and running like a champ....what's the bad news you ask? I've been so wrapped up in this power steering/wiring crap...I forgot to put gas in the car! LOL Almost ran out on track...I really need to get a gas gauge....

My question would be, while u had this issue, did u had any error or dtc code?

OP
OP

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My question would be, while u had this issue, did u had any error or dtc code?
I would like to think there would be DTC code involved...unfortunately I do not have a CEL hooked up and never thought about trying to pull a code. I've got the FP 5.0L wiring harness w/CPU so it's capable...I just went old skool and dove into parts and wires....
Sponsored