Anyone ever have the A10 not upshift at WOT?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Drivetrain' started by Zathras, Jul 10, 2019 at 8:26 PM.

1. Zathras

Zathras Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Today I had a (rare for Austin) chance to be first at a stoplight with a lot of open road in front of me. I dropped the shifter into S and gave it the goose when the light went green. So I zip up to about 35-40 MPH and instead of upshifting at redline the car starts banging off the limiter in 1st. I was confused and it took me several seconds to react, but I then used the paddles to manually upshift. I'm familiar with how the drive modes work, and I don't think that I accidentally put it in manual shift mode, as I don't think I used the paddles to shift before hitting the gas...but I can't rule it out completely. I hope I didn't hurt anything...

A number of months ago, I had another time when I was bouncing off the limiter at the top of 2nd or 3d, but in that case I think I confused it by using the paddles to downshift into 2nd (in normal mode) and getting on it when I was close to redline anyway.

2. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Have you tried to replicate the drive again (in a non-public area)?

If the stick is in ‘S’ and you touch the paddles - it is still supposed to auto-upshift IF the Driver is not intervening with a paddle shift.

If you selected Drive Mode “Sport+” AND the stick is placed in D OR S - and you touch the paddle, it’s in full manual mode - the Driver HAS to make the upshift. The car will not auto-upshift after a paddle is touched when Drive Mode is “Sport+“.

FYI -
    I do have a 10R80 thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum on here where all of the current S550 10R80 Ford TSB/SSM’s have been posted.

If it is a trans issue it’s possible it could be:
    1) valve body related
    2) damaged one-way clutch which prevents upshifts past 2nd gear

Here’s the thread you should review:
    https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/

3. BlackandBlue

BlackandBlue Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT 10 Gear
    0   0   0
    You most likely accidentaly hit a paddle putting it in manual mode like said above. I have done this on accident in drag mode.

If it doesn’t do it again this was the case.

TX-Ripper likes this.
  4. Zinc03svt

Zinc03svt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT shadow black, 10r80, PP
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    About 99% sure you hit the paddle in S mode. I rarely use the manual option. You can drop it in S mode to select a gear to hold as in a roll. Once you go wot move shifter back into drive.

5. ThatBigSkeptic

ThatBigSkeptic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang EB
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I don't think they auto upshift. I have had a 2017(6A) and a 2018(10A). Neither car has selectable drive modes, but you could bounce off the Rev limiter in both cars.

6. OP
    OP
    Zathras

Zathras Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    It's been driving OK the last couple of days. Maybe I did accidentally hit the paddle without meaning to...

ThatBigSkeptic likes this.