Anyone Ever Cut Into/Modified Stock Active Exhaust

TruckandRoll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1964 Mercury Comet, 1995 GMC Sierra
So coming from the LS world it wasnt uncommon for guys to modify the Corvette’s dual mode exhaust. You could basically take a grinder, cut into the muffler, and modify the baffling such that it was either pretty quiet or straight through.

Im not after noise but rather minimal restriction. I am installing the Hellion Street Sleeper kit on my ‘21 Mach 1 but want to retain the active exhaust. Ideally id have the ability to modify my system after the turbo piping so it is all 3” and the muffler doesnt become the bottleneck. Short of cutting into my Mach 1 mufflers I am really not sure what is inside? Anyone done something similar and care to share. If the internals are straight through I assume there isnt much to gain but otherwise it could be worthwhile
F1631C8D-56B7-4E68-A77C-1DBB68F6559E.jpeg
Sponsored

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
I have not seen a cutaway of the mufflers themselves. Only the resonator. Im getting ready to pull mine off for some corsa ones. I have a deposit on them with another member and at the begining of August he kinda drives by my area on a vacation. Close enough i can meet him along the way anyhow.

If you wanted a set of mufflers to tinker with or cut open we could work something out.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
From what I have read on here the mufflers themselves aren’t that restrictive and flow pretty good. Your biggest restriction will be the factory piping and resonator. Maybe @engineermike @GregO @markmurfie can chime in on the subject.

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Just cut the resonators out and send it. I've yet to hear an aftermarket muffler 18+ that sounds decent. OEM Muffler is THE way to go. The OEM Muffler is almost completely straight though and the active flap resides on a branch off not the main through portion

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Im not after noise but rather minimal restriction. I am installing the Hellion Street Sleeper kit on my ‘21 Mach 1 but want to retain the active exhaust. Ideally id have the ability to modify my system after the turbo piping so it is all 3” and the muffler doesnt become the bottleneck.
I’m not sure what diameter exhaust tubing is used on the MACH 1.
You should measure the outside diameter of the tubes leading into the mufflers with a caliper.
If it’s 70mm/2.75” it’s as good as it gets and that size matches the GT500 tubing size.

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Loving the silence the active mufflers offer on my car. Open valves still offer a good bit of volume. idk if there's a performance loss, probably, idk how much.
Sponsored