OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Its a ford problem, the expeditions and explorers do it as well, the colder it is the worse it gets. As you enter the car with a memory saved fob or memory position set the car is positioning your mirrors. Basically the computer loses track of where the mirror is and is trying to move it down or up at the end of its travel.

A few suggestions are that the first step the computer does is move the mirror a tiny amount in every direction to check it and assumes the increased resistance means its at the end of its travel so thinks it needs to move a lot but in fact the grease has thickened or there is ice behind the mirror.

Another is that the computer loses track for some reason of where the mirror is positioned after last shutdown and is now trying to move it past its max but that never explained to me why winter made it worse.

To quickly fix it temporarily use your mirror adjustment to reposition the mirror somewhere near where you want it to be and hit the memory button again, 9 times out of 10 it will reset properly to your preferred position.

There is a TSB somewhere on this but basically all the TSB does it tell the computer do it more slowly. :(

I know I have also had issue with ice build up behind the mirror where paring in a heated garage overnight has solved the problem for a week or so.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/4725/memory...-external-mirrors-glass-2015-2019-lincoln-mkc

or

SSM 47835
so according to that TSB it requires replacement door modules and reprograming of new software... HUm..... I know thats for Lincoln but ill ask my dealer about that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
cool thanks will try.

Now that Im looking this is actually a widespread problem on Mustangs, f150s, Lincoln its on reddit, forums basically everything... But bet you go to dealers they never heard of it before LOL.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
My 2016 did it regularly, my wife’s 2017 does it but maybe it was fixed later since my 2020 doesn’t do it, it does cycle but doesn’t get stuck.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
My 17 does it occasionally and so does my explorer. When it happens, just hit the memory button for the position you want and it pulls it out of the electronic brain fart and the mirror goes to where it should, easy peasy

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
FYI, there are plenty of threads on this already. One of the last threads I saw recently said Ford can reprogram it through SSM 49217 (thanks to Cobra Jet) but you'll have to search for it on this forum to read about it. My car has been doing the exact same thing for the last few years. Sometimes mine click for 10 to infinity times, if it doesnt stop at 10, I just hit the mem button to stop it. Sometimes I just let it go hoping it will break, but then give up soon after and hit the button. Maybe Ford can perform the SSM if you find it, print it, and show them the video? I dont want to bring mine either....One forum member said he had to have his servos replaced, but that was a while ago, prob before the SSM came out. Good luck and let us know if you have the SSM done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
FYI, there are plenty of threads on this already. One of the last threads I saw recently said Ford can reprogram it through SSM 49217 (thanks to Cobra Jet) but you'll have to search for it on this forum to read about it. My car has been doing the exact same thing for the last few years. Sometimes mine click for 10 to infinity times, if it doesnt stop at 10, I just hit the mem button to stop it. Sometimes I just let it go hoping it will break, but then give up soon after and hit the button. Maybe Ford can perform the SSM if you find it, print it, and show them the video? I dont want to bring mine either....One forum member said he had to have his servos replaced, but that was a while ago, prob before the SSM came out. Good luck and let us know if you have the SSM done.
Thanks this what I needed. Got copy of that Ssm. I'll contact Ford tomorrow.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I think it may have something to do with the programmed memory function - at least on my 2018 GT Premium it does. My driver side mirror does this on occasion when I hit the #2 setting (which moves the seat all the way up so a kid can crawl into the back). Try to adjust the mirror and resave the settings so your mirror doesn't move when you change the memory setting.
I think it may have something to do with the programmed memory function - at least on my 2018 GT Premium it does. My driver side mirror does this on occasion when I hit the #2 setting (which moves the seat all the way up so a kid can crawl into the back). Try to adjust the mirror and resave the settings so your mirror doesn't move when you change the memory setting.

Good to see that you are keeping up the good fight over on the other site :).

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
My 2018 does the same thing occasionally- like once every 6 or 8 weeks. I can never predict when, and it usually stops on its own. I consider it "character". Or a poltergeist.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Has done it since the day I bought it. I start the car and just hit the mirror button quick to stop it. I’m sacred its gonna eventually break the mirrors. Both my mirrors will do it btw. It’s not exclusive to one.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
TADTS

They All Do That Sir

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dare2goBare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Ruby Red Metallic
My 17 does it occasionally and so does my explorer. When it happens, just hit the memory button for the position you want and it pulls it out of the electronic brain fart and the mirror goes to where it should, easy peasy

^^^ Yup, mine exactly, intermitantly , I hit the mem button and all go's to normal.

Last edited:

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
Do you have Easy Entry/Exit on? That’s when mine will (occasionally) do it.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Mine is guilty of doing it randomly also. I hit the memory button and go about my day.

stantonabc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stanton
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2020
Its been doing this since I bought the car but of course does not do it at dealer. But only when I start the car it will sometimes do it all the time and then wont for a week and then every other day, there is no pattern to it.

Mostly passenger side but drivers will and sometimes both sides. Some times only a few pops but then others it will sit there for a good min and just pop pop pop pop...

I finally got it on video because most times it stops before I can get phone out and camera going.

Going to dealer is pointless because "unless they can recreate it".... and you know wont happen while at dealer.

I have a performance tune and an android tesla screen but it did it before either of those and its still doing it since I got both of those. And I know dealer will just blame one of those things for it.

Plus I really don't want dealer in there "guessing" and messing stuff up.

So taking long shot someone here might know what it is and how to stop it. anyway heres to hoping...

OH if it helps. 2019 GT premium with all options safe smart BLIS, sync3 and all that.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif
Absolutely happens to my 2020 Bullitt. At first, I did not know what was going on. In order to stop it I turned the mirror button off and on. I has not happened for a month. When I go to the dealer to have my backup camera replaced (recalled), I will explain it to the dealer. It maybe like talking to a wall.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Yep. Mine does this as well. Only the driver’s side and maybe 1 in 25 times when I start it. Mostly when remote starting.

it’s a bit annoying, but I don’t feel like leaving it at the dealer so they can “recreate” it and tell me there’s nothing wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored