Sponsored

Anyone else wanna see a return of boss 302?

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Even mercedes did that with their 6.3 badge, which was a 6.2, and now the C63etc. are 4.0 :D

The rounding thing is just BS... "Hurr, we rounded up so the 4.51 is a 5.0" Yeah and 5 rounds up to 10, so we all have 10.0 Coyotes?
The Displacment misendeavour is widespread at Ford, the Gen3 Mustang was advertised in europe with 4.943(or so), while it already hat the increased bore.

I doubt any more special editions are coming, the Bullitt ran for longer than initially advertised. (We only make X Number limited production! - While X is the number of people who want one)

A Boss302 with a higher Redline than Mach1 and Co would be cool though. Imagine the Coyote going to 8000+ Stock. :D
in 69/70 the 396 actually became a 402..chevy kept the 396 badge because it had recognized performance
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
in 69/70 the 396 actually became a 402..chevy kept the 396 badge because it had recognized performance
More like they already had thousands of 396 badges .
Beancounters you know.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ummm the Ferrari 812 superfast, which will destroy anything in the Ford camp except the Ford GT in top speed and braking, weighs in at a hefty 4000 lbs. BTW the BOSS weighed 3641 lb .
The Ferrari is 800 naturally aspirated HP and weighs less than the Boss (just under 3600 lbs). I would settle for 3800 lbs if the car also made 800 NA HP. But I would prefer around 500 HP and less weight.

Go drive a 427 side oiler then a S197, the latter is too refined.
Sure the S197 isn't as refined as today's s550 but the s197 already was too smooth.
A side oiler 427 or a 428 c/j while idling is telling you, this vehicle can kill you if you don't respect it's power.
No s197 did/does that, nor does any s550 even the shelby gt500 r acts too tame, to put fear into the person just by sitting in it and starting it.
Start a old school muscle and it jumped and barked telling you it needs to be on a leash.
Other than a loud exhaust the new stuff does not, The car is not shaking with every pulse, it has 15 different computers to help keep you safe, and keep the drive train in one piece. Modern cars are much faster and "may" have more power but drive like you took them to a spay and neuter clinic.
For those that never drove the old school beast, they'll never understand the love affair of vehicles that did nothing well, but could kill you in an instant .
The character of the vehicles made them legends, not that they were fast or handled well.
I agree with what you are saying, and that's why a lot of people are buying up 70s Porsche 911s and other cars like that. Modern cars are too capable to scare people if you follow the speed limit and other rules of the road.

If you take an S550 out on track it will show you fear - or at least respect for its abilities. But on the street it's too far within its capabilities. Most other modern sporty cars are the same. They are just too good.

And really it's somewhat unethical to do anything on the street that scares you, unless you are out in the middle of nowhere. The track is the proper place for that kind of thing.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
More like they already had thousands of 396 badges .
Beancounters you know.
I don't think that was any big part. The '396' number just had a better 'ring' to it and had already established itself as something to be respected. And 402 was still smaller than '409', which had its own strong reputation. 402 was more like a "middle child".

Norm

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
At this point, I don't think I'd care to see any S650 Boss 302.

It would be too refined.

Norm
Same. I think it would be good for the BOSS to stay ended as the PEAK of solid axle Mustang performance.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
Interesting thread here with lots of great comments on an absolutely iconic Ford Mustang name: BOSS. The original 69-70 Boss 302s continue to be my favorite Mustangs even though I own a new s550 which is clearly superior in almost all ways.
I think it's important to go back to what the original Boss Mustangs actually where, and to me that should still define any future use of the name. Both the 302 and 429 were homogulation specials produced by Ford to meet racing body rules. Boss 302 of course to go SCCA Trans Am racing with the Mustang. The Boss 429 was an odd beast as it was sold just so Ford could go stock car racing with that engine. Too bad Nascar banned it before it could really show what it could do.
Both cars were seriously compromised for street use because of this. The Boss 302 Less so of course. The 71 Boss 351 was actually the best street car but like all Boss badged cars since 69-70 had nothing to do with selling cars to go racing.
Apologies for this long post and the history lesson but younger owners may not be up on the history of this iconic car name!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I love the idea of a Boss 302 - meaning a car with a special higher power and higher winding 302 cubic inch engine designed for road course work. Considering what some other companies are able to do with naturally aspirated engines, it should be entirely possible to make a 302 displacement engine that is head and shoulders beyond the current Coyote.

It would be cool if Ford made a 9,000 RPM 302 engine that was the equivalent of the 500 hp 4.0 flat six Porsche uses - in theory you could get 625 HP out of a 5.0 V8 if you were able to extract the same specific output as that flat six. If Ford could only manage 580 HP I'd still be interested.

Even cooler if they did this in the next generation Mustang and made the car a little smaller and a few hundred pounds lighter than the current Mustang.

See all the reliability complaints about the 8250 rpm GT350. Getting another 1000 rpm would probably double the price of the engine, and a lot of people would complain it didn't have enough torque.

Slap some BOSS decals on a Mach 1 and you basically have a BOSS (higher winding 5.0, check; designed for road course work, check). Except you also need to pay an extra 5 or 10 grand for the BOSS name.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Interestingly the term "Boss" came from a joke that what was being worked on was something for "the boss". The joke stuck and it became part of the car. I do think that some name plates should remain a part of history and a Boss Mustang maybe should be. It's history and existence was for a particular purpose - to allow its use in racing. I do think though it would be fine to bring it back for one reason only - the very existence of new Mustangs with V8's are coming to an end. It would be nice to for one last hurrah to see the Mach 1, GT350/500, Boss, Cali Special etc take us to the end of the ICE era. Once we get to EV's the purpose of a muslecar/pony car really end at least for me. No more tinkering in the garage, trying to eek out that last 5 hp. No more shifting through the gears (either MT or Auto), no more fine tuning the sound, no more bonding with your kids doing an oil change, changing the plugs etc. No more going for a ride and just enjoying the sound and the sensation of driving a living breathing beast. You will be left with changing out the tires, maybe suspension and what cleaner to use on the mobile TV inside the "cockpit" . Going for a drive and basically hearing road noise and the silence of the wind buffeting the car (not so bad in the family cruiser, but not a sports car). So for me, one last Boss regardless of engine size or how it is tied to the original would be just fine as long as they do it with the same vigor and a bit of crazy as the original....that to me would be a fitting end to an era. Oh and please for the love of all that is holy bring back grabber blue!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Go drive a 427 side oiler then a S197, the latter is too refined.
Sure the S197 isn't as refined as today's s550 but the s197 already was too smooth.
A side oiler 427 or a 428 c/j while idling is telling you, this vehicle can kill you if you don't respect it's power.
No s197 did/does that, nor does any s550 even the shelby gt500 r acts too tame, to put fear into the person just by sitting in it and starting it.
Start a old school muscle and it jumped and barked telling you it needs to be on a leash.
Other than a loud exhaust the new stuff does not, The car is not shaking with every pulse, it has 15 different computers to help keep you safe, and keep the drive train in one piece. Modern cars are much faster and "may" have more power but drive like you took them to a spay and neuter clinic.
For those that never drove the old school beast, they'll never understand the love affair of vehicles that did nothing well, but could kill you in an instant .
The character of the vehicles made them legends, not that they were fast or handled well.
It's like you were there with me last weekend when I looked at a Superformance Cobra, complete with 427 FE power. I'm still sporting tremendous wood over the sound, inside essentially a warehouse, no less.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Interestingly the term "Boss" came from a joke that what was being worked on was something for "the boss". The joke stuck and it became part of the car. I do think that some name plates should remain a part of history and a Boss Mustang maybe should be. It's history and existence was for a particular purpose - to allow its use in racing. I do think though it would be fine to bring it back for one reason only - the very existence of new Mustangs with V8's are coming to an end. It would be nice to for one last hurrah to see the Mach 1, GT350/500, Boss, Cali Special etc take us to the end of the ICE era. Once we get to EV's the purpose of a muslecar/pony car really end at least for me. No more tinkering in the garage, trying to eek out that last 5 hp. No more shifting through the gears (either MT or Auto), no more fine tuning the sound, no more bonding with your kids doing an oil change, changing the plugs etc. No more going for a ride and just enjoying the sound and the sensation of driving a living breathing beast. You will be left with changing out the tires, maybe suspension and what cleaner to use on the mobile TV inside the "cockpit" . Going for a drive and basically hearing road noise and the silence of the wind buffeting the car (not so bad in the family cruiser, but not a sports car). So for me, one last Boss regardless of engine size or how it is tied to the original would be just fine as long as they do it with the same vigor and a bit of crazy as the original....that to me would be a fitting end to an era. Oh and please for the love of all that is holy bring back grabber blue!
As I see it the only problem with a new Boss is the current Mach 1. Ford's best handling GT should have been a Boss. It was supposed to be a Boss. But then the Mach 1/Mach-E fiasco took place. So our Boss became a Mach. So now what the heck do you to get a Boss? Now it will be a S650 so that helps. I guess we will wait & see.

So who thinks the 2022 Grabber Blue Metallic will be more than a one year color?

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
As I see it the only problem with a new Boss is the current Mach 1. Ford's best handling GT should have been a Boss. It was supposed to be a Boss. But then the Mach 1/Mach-E fiasco took place. So our Boss became a Mach. So now what the heck do you to get a Boss? Now it will be a S650 so that helps. I guess we will wait & see.

So who thinks the 2022 Grabber Blue Metallic will be more than a one year color?
I guess Boss-E just didn't sound right with the marketing team.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Same stroke, slightly larger bore, resulting in a slightly larger displacement. It's also the first time a "5.0" badged motor had actually pushed past the five liter mark (302 cid is only 4948.89 cc's).
Back in 1990 I thought I was cool when in reality I was rollin' in my 4.9.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Bring back the GT350, call it a Pinto and sell it at a good price and I'll buy one tommorow.

It is the car, equipment and capabilities that matter, not the name. I wasn't a fan of the PP2, but most of that was not because it had a stupid name, but because it was a semi track special that was more expensive than a 1LE yet had half the track ready equipment. Calling it a Boss wouldn't have been much if any better, maybe even worse as it would have been even more disappointing.
Sponsored