Sponsored

Anyone else wanna see a return of boss 302?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
With all the modern safety equipment and sound deadening, getting a coyote equipped mustang down to 3000-3200 lbs would be a significantly smaller car. So I can see his point.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A N/A 580 hp coyote based engine already exists, the A52 XS aluminator.
As long as it is emissions legal, I'm good (hint - it isn't).

If they do make a Boss in the S550 platform it should have what this chassis desperately needs, significant weight reduction. We have power, RPM, IRS, etc; the right elements are present but the 3800+lbs is ridiculous for a performance car. A lightweight Boss (3000-3200 lbs) with at least 500hp would be an amazing street/track performer.
I think if they could reach 3400 pounds it would be enough. But yes, closer to 3,000-3,200 would be better.

I dont want the mustang much lighter then it is right now honestly
So you prefer to have less performance? Seriously, reducing weight is one of the best performance mods.

And the environment stuff is bunch bullshit and just ruins everything who cares about the environment
I care about the environment. It's another reason to make cars smaller. It takes less energy to build a smaller car, and less energy to operate it. The biggest loads of BS are the government regs that allow huge pickups and SUVs to be built, but a small sports car gets hit with a gas guzzler fine. And electric vehicles aren't actually better for the environment than gasoline cars.

With all the modern safety equipment and sound deadening, getting a coyote equipped mustang down to 3000-3200 lbs would be a significantly smaller car. So I can see his point.
The Mustang doesn't use the size very efficiently. If I compare the rear seat leg room in my Fiesta to that of the Mustang, the Fiesta has more. It may not be easy to get down to 3,000 lbs - but 3,600 would be a whole lot better than over 4,000, which is the direction Ford seems to be going.

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
As long as it is emissions legal, I'm good (hint - it isn't).

I think if they could reach 3400 pounds it would be enough. But yes, closer to 3,000-3,200 would be better.

So you prefer to have less performance? Seriously, reducing weight is one of the best performance mods.

I care about the environment. It's another reason to make cars smaller. It takes less energy to build a smaller car, and less energy to operate it. The biggest loads of BS are the government regs that allow huge pickups and SUVs to be built, but a small sports car gets hit with a gas guzzler fine. And electric vehicles aren't actually better for the environment than gasoline cars.

The Mustang doesn't use the size very efficiently. If I compare the rear seat leg room in my Fiesta to that of the Mustang, the Fiesta has more. It may not be easy to get down to 3,000 lbs - but 3,600 would be a whole lot better than over 4,000, which is the direction Ford seems to be going.
I agree 100%, everything doesn’t need to be yacht sized. Unfortunately that is what attracts vehicle buyers now.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
..wonder if there is more room in the engine bay of an S197 as
opposed to a S550?
Which car could handle the 7.1 engine better?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ridiculous.
DCT transmissions are crap for fun street and road course driving. Yuck. Plus they are expensive. Why pay more for less enjoyment?

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
I like math & history;

302 cid = 4.94889 liters

Since manufacturers historically used only one decimal place, they usually rounded up;

4.94889 round up the 8 to 9, which then becomes 4.9489 liters, continue on, 4.949 liters, 4.95 liters, 5.0 liters.

A true 5.0L would be 305.119 cubic inches. <- Chevy nailed it haha.
Even mercedes did that with their 6.3 badge, which was a 6.2, and now the C63etc. are 4.0 :D

The rounding thing is just BS... "Hurr, we rounded up so the 4.51 is a 5.0" Yeah and 5 rounds up to 10, so we all have 10.0 Coyotes?
The Displacment misendeavour is widespread at Ford, the Gen3 Mustang was advertised in europe with 4.943(or so), while it already hat the increased bore.

I doubt any more special editions are coming, the Bullitt ran for longer than initially advertised. (We only make X Number limited production! - While X is the number of people who want one)

A Boss302 with a higher Redline than Mach1 and Co would be cool though. Imagine the Coyote going to 8000+ Stock. :D

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I honestly miss s197 cause those were straight line cars and I wish ford made more mustangs that were just raw power and muscle
The S197 was much more than just a straight line weapon. You just had to know how to put the cornering and handling capabilities that Ford left on the table back in. Stick axles don't have to limit you to straight-line driving.

Norm

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Boss-E

Just kidding. I would have liked to see it released concurrently with the Mach 1. They could have kept everything in the Mach 1 except for having the track handling package be exclusive to and standard equipment on the Boss. In addition, give the Boss ported and polished and tuned for 500 hp. Of course different graphics, trim, hood, etc.

Edit: Allow you to order it with more diff options, 4.09, 4.56, etc.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The S197 was much more than just a straight line weapon. You just had to know how to put the cornering and handling capabilities that Ford left on the table back in. Stick axles don't have to limit you to straight-line driving.

Norm
Definitely true, especially on very smooth surfaces. With any kind of irregularities in the road the stick axle slows the car down a lot in the corners, though.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
If they do make a Boss in the S550 platform it should have what this chassis desperately needs, significant weight reduction. We have power, RPM, IRS, etc; the right elements are present but the 3800+lbs is ridiculous for a performance car. A lightweight Boss (3000-3200 lbs) with at least 500hp would be an amazing street/track performer.
Sadly all that safety gear and the gear people refuse to go without add weight.
Not much they can do about the weight from all the safty gear.
But If Ford, pulled all the extras out and put in non power seating with 1/2 the padding and such. Less sound deadning, and No one would buy it.
As it not be fast enough over the loaded car with equipment buyers today are used too. Sure the drag strip time would be better because of less heft to drag around, and on an all out track run. But most buyers don't CARE that A special ed. is 2 seconds faster around road America, and 2 tenths faster on a drag strip, When you tell them that they will have to go without dual zone climate, a stereo , seats that are MEH, a lot of road noise from the removal of sound control material,and all the other bells buyers today are used too.
It be a hard sell, for many reasons.
a)the pool of buyers that use the car to get the better times out of it is a small one.
b)dealers marking it up to more than the units that are not a special ed. but is loaded and will be easier to resell.
c)Adding lite parts (carbon, or ?) adds cost to a car fast.
Real carbon fiberparts, not fiberglass parts with an outer skin layer of carbon fiber like most of the aftermarket garbage.

OP
OP
Mr whiskers5.0

Mr whiskers5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 rapid red mustang gt
Interesting viewpoint, why don’t you want less weight?
In my opinion it's kinda like a sweet spot not to heavy like a challenger but not to light like a Ferrari either but on track car like the 350r I think it should be at least low 3500s but that's just me
Sponsored