Anyone else wanna see a return of boss 302?

Grintch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I love the idea of a Boss 302 - meaning a car with a special higher power and higher winding 302 cubic inch engine designed for road course work. Considering what some other companies are able to do with naturally aspirated engines, it should be entirely possible to make a 302 displacement engine that is head and shoulders beyond the current Coyote.

It would be cool if Ford made a 9,000 RPM 302 engine that was the equivalent of the 500 hp 4.0 flat six Porsche uses - in theory you could get 625 HP out of a 5.0 V8 if you were able to extract the same specific output as that flat six. If Ford could only manage 580 HP I'd still be interested.

Even cooler if they did this in the next generation Mustang and made the car a little smaller and a few hundred pounds lighter than the current Mustang.

See all the reliability complaints about the 8250 rpm GT350. Getting another 1000 rpm would probably double the price of the engine, and a lot of people would complain it didn't have enough torque.

Slap some BOSS decals on a Mach 1 and you basically have a BOSS (higher winding 5.0, check; designed for road course work, check). Except you also need to pay an extra 5 or 10 grand for the BOSS name.
Advertisement

IronG

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Interestingly the term "Boss" came from a joke that what was being worked on was something for "the boss". The joke stuck and it became part of the car. I do think that some name plates should remain a part of history and a Boss Mustang maybe should be. It's history and existence was for a particular purpose - to allow its use in racing. I do think though it would be fine to bring it back for one reason only - the very existence of new Mustangs with V8's are coming to an end. It would be nice to for one last hurrah to see the Mach 1, GT350/500, Boss, Cali Special etc take us to the end of the ICE era. Once we get to EV's the purpose of a muslecar/pony car really end at least for me. No more tinkering in the garage, trying to eek out that last 5 hp. No more shifting through the gears (either MT or Auto), no more fine tuning the sound, no more bonding with your kids doing an oil change, changing the plugs etc. No more going for a ride and just enjoying the sound and the sensation of driving a living breathing beast. You will be left with changing out the tires, maybe suspension and what cleaner to use on the mobile TV inside the "cockpit" . Going for a drive and basically hearing road noise and the silence of the wind buffeting the car (not so bad in the family cruiser, but not a sports car). So for me, one last Boss regardless of engine size or how it is tied to the original would be just fine as long as they do it with the same vigor and a bit of crazy as the original....that to me would be a fitting end to an era. Oh and please for the love of all that is holy bring back grabber blue!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
Go drive a 427 side oiler then a S197, the latter is too refined.
Sure the S197 isn't as refined as today's s550 but the s197 already was too smooth.
A side oiler 427 or a 428 c/j while idling is telling you, this vehicle can kill you if you don't respect it's power.
No s197 did/does that, nor does any s550 even the shelby gt500 r acts too tame, to put fear into the person just by sitting in it and starting it.
Start a old school muscle and it jumped and barked telling you it needs to be on a leash.
Other than a loud exhaust the new stuff does not, The car is not shaking with every pulse, it has 15 different computers to help keep you safe, and keep the drive train in one piece. Modern cars are much faster and "may" have more power but drive like you took them to a spay and neuter clinic.
For those that never drove the old school beast, they'll never understand the love affair of vehicles that did nothing well, but could kill you in an instant .
The character of the vehicles made them legends, not that they were fast or handled well.
It's like you were there with me last weekend when I looked at a Superformance Cobra, complete with 427 FE power. I'm still sporting tremendous wood over the sound, inside essentially a warehouse, no less.

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Interestingly the term "Boss" came from a joke that what was being worked on was something for "the boss". The joke stuck and it became part of the car. I do think that some name plates should remain a part of history and a Boss Mustang maybe should be. It's history and existence was for a particular purpose - to allow its use in racing. I do think though it would be fine to bring it back for one reason only - the very existence of new Mustangs with V8's are coming to an end. It would be nice to for one last hurrah to see the Mach 1, GT350/500, Boss, Cali Special etc take us to the end of the ICE era. Once we get to EV's the purpose of a muslecar/pony car really end at least for me. No more tinkering in the garage, trying to eek out that last 5 hp. No more shifting through the gears (either MT or Auto), no more fine tuning the sound, no more bonding with your kids doing an oil change, changing the plugs etc. No more going for a ride and just enjoying the sound and the sensation of driving a living breathing beast. You will be left with changing out the tires, maybe suspension and what cleaner to use on the mobile TV inside the "cockpit" . Going for a drive and basically hearing road noise and the silence of the wind buffeting the car (not so bad in the family cruiser, but not a sports car). So for me, one last Boss regardless of engine size or how it is tied to the original would be just fine as long as they do it with the same vigor and a bit of crazy as the original....that to me would be a fitting end to an era. Oh and please for the love of all that is holy bring back grabber blue!
As I see it the only problem with a new Boss is the current Mach 1. Ford's best handling GT should have been a Boss. It was supposed to be a Boss. But then the Mach 1/Mach-E fiasco took place. So our Boss became a Mach. So now what the heck do you to get a Boss? Now it will be a S650 so that helps. I guess we will wait & see.

So who thinks the 2022 Grabber Blue Metallic will be more than a one year color?

Hillsndale

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
As I see it the only problem with a new Boss is the current Mach 1. Ford's best handling GT should have been a Boss. It was supposed to be a Boss. But then the Mach 1/Mach-E fiasco took place. So our Boss became a Mach. So now what the heck do you to get a Boss? Now it will be a S650 so that helps. I guess we will wait & see.

So who thinks the 2022 Grabber Blue Metallic will be more than a one year color?
I guess Boss-E just didn't sound right with the marketing team.

Biggus Dickus

Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Same stroke, slightly larger bore, resulting in a slightly larger displacement. It's also the first time a "5.0" badged motor had actually pushed past the five liter mark (302 cid is only 4948.89 cc's).
Back in 1990 I thought I was cool when in reality I was rollin' in my 4.9.

Grintch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Bring back the GT350, call it a Pinto and sell it at a good price and I'll buy one tommorow.

It is the car, equipment and capabilities that matter, not the name. I wasn't a fan of the PP2, but most of that was not because it had a stupid name, but because it was a semi track special that was more expensive than a 1LE yet had half the track ready equipment. Calling it a Boss wouldn't have been much if any better, maybe even worse as it would have been even more disappointing.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
Bring back the GT350, call it a Pinto and sell it at a good price and I'll buy one tommorow.

It is the car, equipment and capabilities that matter, not the name. I wasn't a fan of the PP2, but most of that was not because it had a stupid name, but because it was a semi track special that was more expensive than a 1LE yet had half the track ready equipment. Calling it a Boss wouldn't have been much if any better, maybe even worse as it would have been even more disappointing.
What if...

They called it the ShitNado, and drilled in emblems all over the car? Oh, and the rear bumper has the nameplate debossed into it as well.

images.jpeg

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of this forum would disagree with you.

Names don't count? Think again.

1633207333589.png

1633207365965.png

oneheadlite

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of this forum would disagree with you.

Names don't count? Think again.

1633207333589.png

1633207365965.png
...strokerswild said he was still "sporting tremendous wood" not a tremendous Probe......

IMG_0459.JPG

DaveB

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
It's like you were there with me last weekend when I looked at a Superformance Cobra, complete with 427 FE power. I'm still sporting tremendous wood over the sound, inside essentially a warehouse, no less.
If you want a cobra , Daytona, or gt 40 built....let me know and we can discuss and build you one. Factory five or rcr. Im located near Indianapolis.

LSchicago

Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
What you really want here is a re-imagined Boss 429.

Not another Boss 302, which of any generation was never really all that suitable for the straight line stuff. At best, they were "Junior Muscle", just as their small-block engine descriptions suggest.

Norm
That is exactly what I'd want too.

Advertisement

46 - Roush Performance - 3
Advertisement