Sponsored

Anyone else use their Mustang as a Touring vehicle?

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
85 Mustang GT, 2019 Audi A4, 2023 MCS, 2004 BMW Z4
I have always loved to travel, when I was 17 I had a 85 Mustang GT and a boring economy car. I dreamed of buying a new mustang when I got older and touring continental 48 in it. Well fast forward in time and now I am 30, I finally ordered that new Mustang, and it should be here Middle of April. My wife also loves to travel so she is going to tag along on some of these adventures.
Anyone else buy a mustang with the intent of traveling?
First time has us leaving Iowa, first stop in Kentucky, then to Asheville NC, then spending a few days in Myrtle Beach, SC before returning home.
Sponsored

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I only have the one car and I go everywhere in it. Longest trip I've done is from Maryland to Austin, Texas. I enjoy long drives in the Mustang.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Yep, with Magnaride and active exhaust it still may not be as quiet/smooth as a Mercedes but it is good for trips.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The majority of the miles on my car are touring. It has been from Denver to South Dakota, every year for 5 years. It drove through tropical storm Gordon. It's been from Cleveland to Denver. So I have a bad neck, and the most grueling drive I've ever done was 16 hours from Cleveland to Selina, KS - through tropical storm Gordon, which at the time tracked up through the middle of the country. I didn't mean to drive that long or that hard, but hotels where filled up everywhere I tried to stop, bizarrely. So I wasn't able to sleep until Selina. My ass was a little sore but my neck was fine! This car fits me like a glove.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I live in the middle of nowhere TX, so I need to travel at least 125 miles for the nearest twisty road, and quite a bit more than that for nicer ones, so my 'fun' car has to be a cruiser too. And that's why I've had to sell so many of them. The Mustang is not that bad, and actually better than most. However, the road/tire noise is still horrible on the awful asphalt prevalent in the desert southwest. And so are the awful amount of creaks and rattles, even though I've fixed who knows how many already... and they keep popping up. Summer tires don't help with the noise, but the Michelin PS4Ss are the best IMO (still quite noisy though).

I was thinking of trading it, but I'd have to put at least 25 grand, and lose the V8 and manual, so I'm thinking of maybe trying to quiet it down. Problem is there are no reputable shops for that in this crappy town. And I'm not sure if I'm up to the task, starting with I have no idea what to do about it. Wind noise is the hardest to fix, but fortunately, it's not bad at all on my Bullitt, and much better than the 2021 Tesla I recently bought for my wife (both with frameless doors). My issue is you need to basically gut the entire interior for a proper road insulation job, and no way I'd remove the dash, so it'd have to be without that step to completely insulate the firewall.

Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I intend to. I'd like to do a leisurely trip hugging the east coast as far up as practical (Nova Scotia, maybe?). Same for a trip out west. Like maybe shoot for Glacier Park and work my way south and then back to ATL. At 52 years old, I've seen considerably more outside the US than inside. "GT" actually stands for something so yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

One small obstacle is that I terrify my wife when I drive. I'll either need to go solo, or feed her a steady diet of Xanax. I don't have that one worked out just yet.

AndiObb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost, changing BMW´s, Yamaha...
Vehicle Showcase
"Touring" is different from US to EU... here you would nobody even get think about having a Mustang for "touring". We´re kind of ejected here - as we´re using it also in winter (have to, but invested thousands of EUR to do so). From what I've learned: Mustang is a perfect tourer :like:

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have always loved to travel, when I was 17 I had a 85 Mustang GT and a boring economy car. I dreamed of buying a new mustang when I got older and touring continental 48 in it. Well fast forward in time and now I am 30, I finally ordered that new Mustang, and it should be here Middle of April. My wife also loves to travel so she is going to tag along on some of these adventures.
Anyone else buy a mustang with the intent of traveling?
First time has us leaving Iowa, first stop in Kentucky, then to Asheville NC, then spending a few days in Myrtle Beach, SC before returning home.
What did you order??? GT, EB. Coupe, Convert??? Need more info🤓 Oh, and the trip sounds great.

OP
OP
Helltime

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I'm excited. I ended up ordering a 2021 GT Premium 401a pack 6spd car with active exhaust, B&O stereo, in Twister orange with back accent package.
As for people mentioning road noise and rattles, it is still going to be quieter than my last couple Summer DD/Touring cars (88 Corvette and 01 Corvette).
This will be my summer daily as well as road trip vehicle when its just myself or if the wife tags along.

I have had a lot of cars, believe it or not my C4 was probably one of my favorites for road trips, sure it was loud and the A/C absolutely sucked in it, but that car fit like a glove and just ate the miles up effortlessly.
I have high hopes for this Mustang though, with any luck it will see all of the lower 48 while in my possession.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
OP, if you can time it right, do the Myrtle Beach thing during Mustang Week.. Even if it's canceled due to Covid, it'll still go on, just unofficially. Check YouTube for Mustang Week, many, many videos. I think i will be sometime in August or September this year. Google is your friend.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP, if you can time it right, do the Myrtle Beach thing during Mustang Week.. Even if it's canceled due to Covid, it'll still go on, just unofficially. Check YouTube for Mustang Week, many, many videos. I think i will be sometime in August or September this year. Google is your friend.
I can help with that. Sept. 6-11.

https://mustangweek.com/

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
You don't have to register, anyone can go. Some events do require registration, but not most. If you're not sure you can make it, just wait and go when you do get there. If thousands of Mustangs all in one town at the same time
don't get you excited, sell your Tang!

OP
OP
Helltime

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
I'm going in May, but....I am not opposed to going back for an event like that.
I really look forward to events like that, when I had a Mini you had events where they went across the mackinaw bridge (sadly I didn't make it though) and events on tail of the dragon, when I had my C5 I was going to go to LS fest west, but then my car got crushed by a tree in a storm. Now I have 4 weeks vacation a year with weekends off and I love to drive, so I am going to make an event in this car!

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
We’ve made several 2,500 trips in the vert and it does pretty good with the right tires. I like that it’s a heavy car and holds the road well and doesn’t wear you out. My only complaint is the small gas tank, but it’s manageable.

OP
OP
Helltime

Helltime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
We’ve made several 2,500 trips in the vert and it does pretty good with the right tires. I like that it’s a heavy car and holds the road well and doesn’t wear you out. My only complaint is the small gas tank, but it’s manageable.
Yeah, 16 gallon tank isn't it?
That's going to be annoying, but won't be any worse range wise than my 4runner.
Sponsored