Sponsored

Anyone else think the new Supra is ugly?

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
They look better in person... but I would not pick one over the S550 V8. Both the Coyote and the VooDoo sound so much better. But then, not every car nut buys a car for exhaust note.... l sure did!
Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Like everyone else, I was a HUGE fan of the Mk IV Supra in college. It and (don't laugh) the MX6 and Celicas were one of my inspirations to study hard so that I could afford one of them in the future.

Sadly, I really do not understand the MK V supra at all. The Mk IV supra had a loyal fanbase where it was all about the iconic styling (nothing looked like the supra, in a good way). I was pretty upset when it appeared in Fast and Furious as I thought, "great, now everyone and their uncles will go get one, "soup' the crap out of it, kill the car, and there will be no Mk IV's left in decent condition).

WHen Mk V was announced, I was so excited and even thought that maybe when my EB lease was up, I may try to get into a new or used Mk V Supra. When I saw it, disappointment was the first word that comes to my mind.

I get that people are split over the '18+ s550 front end too. But at least for me, when I saw the '18 front end, I was disappointed because I thought the car was less "muscle" and more "euro". But while there definitely are a lot of lines and angles, I my first impression wasn't being turned off.

When I saw the Mk V supra, my first reaction was 1990's car design. and the area just behind front wheel wells to middle of the door, it reminds me of the old '90's Z8 and Z4, rather than a '90 Supra. And the distinctive lines of the scoop on the rear half of the door makes it look like someone got a fiberglass scoop kit from ebay and double-taped on. The lines in the front (headlamps and around scoops/vents) and the similar lines in the rear 1/4 of the car seems to be completely absent in the middle of the car.

Looking at the photo above, it makes me think that they took an old Z8, and added body kits/bumpers than a actual design from scratch. I think the Z4 actually looks better and its lines work better for the size of the car.

Perhaps if the car was longer, the lines of the Mk V would work, but it looks like someone took the Mk IV, restyled the lines, and then went to photoshop and compressed the image horizontally by 10-15%.

And this is before we even get to mechanicals. The original Supras (Mk III and IV) were a showcase of what the Japanese could do to create a great performance car. I don't understand the reason why they had to re-badge a BMW to release a Toyota Halo car. If I were a designer at Toyota, I would actually be embarrassed than patting myself on my back.

Perhaps when one does not compare this to what the Mk IV stood for, it isn't too bad. But I know that every single male friend who drooled over the Supra, Nissan Z, RX-7, 3000GT are all underwhelmed by the new Supra.

Mustang is the complete opposite for me. I never cared for the foxbody mustangs when I was in HS/college. But I feel like mustangs have come a long way. It is more refined, but it still has ridiculous V8's and still has manual trannies. I am not ecstatic over the MT82's either, but I am not for complaining so much that Ford decides, "this isn't worth it, just pull all manuals out and make Mustangs autos only". I am happy that at least Ford is willing to sustain not only the name Mustang, but at least give people options. You want a gas-saving, turbo charged manual with a simple, no frills dash? You got it. You want a semi-European premium interior with that? You got it. You say you want a V8? you got it. You say you want different V8 options? you got it. You say you want it all available in manual, you got it. I really don't see how we can blame Ford when clearly other manufacturers aren't doing anything similar (save Dodge (GM's killing Camaro... boo)).

I guess in the end, I was hoping that Toyota would lead the revival of the Japanese performance cars, but it really looks more like they realized many people who drooled over Mk IV supras in HS/College are now more financially successful, so they need a cheap way to grab some cash from them.

That their halo sports car is a rebadged BMW, and their other sports car is a rebadged subaru, I have lost all respect for Toyota.

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sure itā€™s a sweet ride, but once I heard it was a bmw, I was out. And Iā€™m sure all the toyota guys are loving working on a BMW powertrain under warranty.

This is what it shouldā€™ve looked like

863C0F4A-0349-4B1F-B728-ABB53EB7955B.jpeg

FE01751F-BE55-411C-870C-C9ABD8FBE9F1.jpeg

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sure itā€™s a sweet ride, but once I heard it was a bmw, I was out. And Iā€™m sure all the toyota guys are loving working on a BMW powertrain under warranty.

This is what it shouldā€™ve looked like

863C0F4A-0349-4B1F-B728-ABB53EB7955B.jpeg

FE01751F-BE55-411C-870C-C9ABD8FBE9F1.jpeg

Honestly, if it looked like that, the decision to buy my Stang would have been much tougher than it actually was.....

.....Though I'd probably still have gone for the Stang in the end!

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If it looked like that, was actually a Toyota, and they weren't completely divorced from the concept of fun. Toyota got where they are today by selling beige-boxes to people who don't really care about cars. This mentality has permeated the company as a whole.
It's strange, it's almost as if the company has some kind of dual personality. They had a substantial hand in the GT86/BRZ along with Subaru, and that was a car solely based on being fun. Now we have the GR Yaris, which is Toyota turning around and giving the Fiesta ST the biggest middle finger possible, whilst creating the maddest, craziest hot hatch of its era. And then there's the new Supra, which has nothing. No looks, no noise, no fun, no real Toyota underpinnings, nothing...

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
there's the new Supra, which has nothing. No looks, no noise, no fun, no real Toyota underpinnings, nothing...
Have you driven it? I have quite a bit since a relative owns one. It has a gearbox way better than the Ford A10. I suspect the supra/bmw gearbox is a better choice for the track at 8 gears vs. 10 in the Ford. I'm racing the A10 in a 2019GT and it is just like the porsche pdk but the supra takes it to the next level closer to DCT. The BMW 8 speed shifts so well I would take it over the BMW DCT because the failures are less. On track racing the Ford A10 I'm constantly shifting. The 8 gears of the Supra would give the driver a little break.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
7th on the 10R80 is the 1:1 gear, so really you're only using 2-7 (6 gears). If the BMW box has two overdrive gears, you're then only using 2-6 (5 gears). Unless it has three overdrives as well (?), it shouldn't be a huge difference.
I do not know. You are smarter than me. What you wrote is just word salad to me. All I know is racing the A10 is fantastic except because there are so many gears you are always moving to the best gear at the time. When I was heel toe downshifting any 6speed manual on the local tracks I race it was like 1 downshift and 1 upshift through a majority of turns at local tracks in my same race class in cars of similar horsepower and weight. Once I went to the A10 in my same race class its like 2 downshifts and 2 upshifts for most turns. So while my A10 shifts are twice as fast I now am making twice as many shifts. The net result is no advantage in laptime.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
The Supraā€™s are growing on me. If I wasnā€™t planning on paying my house off early Iā€™d be very tempted.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I'm racing the A10 in a 2019GT and it is just like the porsche pdk but the supra takes it to the next level closer to DCT.
I thought the PDK is a DCT?

The Supraā€™s are growing on me. If I wasnā€™t planning on paying my house off early Iā€™d be very tempted.
Just go and sit in a Supra. If your head banging the roof on the way in doesn't knock you around too much :crazy: then happy days

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I admit they're better in person, but I've felt that about every gen of Supra all the way back to the Celica Supra. So I guess it keeps that trend.