Sponsored

Anyone else have whipple cal surging and hesitation issues?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2

steelgator01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2021 S550 GT California Special Velocity Blue
Any Updates? I have a 2021 gt auto. I have the same issue. Mine also from dead stop if I get into throttle hard it feels like it falls on its head. It has not been right from day 1. I'm thinking of logging mine and sending it to Whipple to figure out.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have an occasional surging at part throttle. Pbd tune though. Its rare and I can drive around it, I just let off then roll back in immediatly. I may datalog it and see if they can do anything about it. Wonder if it may just be a characteristic of the 132mm throttle body?

Also the only mode I can drive in with advancetrac somewhat on is track mode, which automatically illuminates the TCS off light, but then I have to toggle TCS off switch and it says "tcs off" In this mode I can do rolling burnouts etc and I think I still have some advancetrac on. All other modes seem to kill power on shifts unless advancetrac is completely off.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Any Updates? I have a 2021 gt auto. I have the same issue. Mine also from dead stop if I get into throttle hard it feels like it falls on its head. It has not been right from day 1. I'm thinking of logging mine and sending it to Whipple to figure out.
That's what i ended up doing. Sent a data log to whipple. They were actually developing a new CAL for manual cars and had me test it out and send them data. Their updated tune for manual cars fixed all of my issues.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So I have the dreaded bypass surge and I've reached out to whipple to see what their official answer is. The forums are littered (other makes) with this issue. It seems nonsensical to me to try to tune around a mechanical issue (rather than first trying to resolve the mechanical problem).

I can literally watch the boost gauge jump from part vacuum to boost and feel the car buck and surge when the bypass slams shut. In both directions it's herky and harsh.

I've read everything from putting restrictors (aka a nozzle) in the vacuum line to something about changing it from a vacuum operated to boost operated valve (anyone have any info on this)?

Tuner has already neutered the cams at lower rpm/loads to try to smooth it out and make it so it's not so sudden/violent when it goes from recycling the air charge to then shoving it into the motor.

Obviously I've read all the cons of running bypass closed all the time (extra heat and noise and blower wear, etc),

The car rips like a scolded ape when you're on it, however, just trying to give it part throttle or maintain a part load (like you're in 3rd gear on an on ramp and wanting to keep high rpm until you get a lane over and then gun it and shift) it's schyzophrenic and can't decided whether it wants all bypass or all boost and bucks like a rodeo bronc.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Whipple cal has ford racing bypass logic.

Using a factory os for your Pd blower tune will always have a light switch feeling as the supercharger kicks in

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Whipple cal has ford racing bypass logic.

Using a factory os for your Pd blower tune will always have a light switch feeling as the supercharger kicks in
Yeah, I get that we can do all sorts of gyrations and workarounds in the tune, but wouldn't it be simpler to use a different actuator spring, possible one that's dual rate or even progressive? Or even if we approached it from dampening the vacuum load so it's not so sudden.

"Tuning" around it is kinda like trying to come up with esoteric controls to limit the amount of voltage/current that goes to a set of headlights because the lamps are too bright and not aimed properly and shine in other driver's eyes.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipples bypass logic it (ford racing bypass logic) isn’t something that can be currently adjusted/tuned/calibrated.

Your tuner is the one that chooses to use Whipple OS or factory os.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Whipples bypass logic it (ford racing bypass logic) isn’t something that can be currently adjusted/tuned/calibrated.

Your tuner is the one that chooses to use Whipple OS or factory os.
I think we're speaking past each other. I want to try to solve a mechanical challenge/issue mechanically first. Tuning around it or changing logic is a bandaid for an actual physical problem.

If your clutch has a millimeter of engagement and is too sudden/harsh, the first step is trying to see if you can improve the clutch feel and operation rather than trying to massage cam timing or create torque table adjustments.

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we are talking past each other.

My car transitions from vacuum to boost silky smooth (tuned on Whipple os)

The same as all the other cars I’ve tuned on the Whipple OS or Roush OS.

I choose to tune them that way so the end-user gets the best driving experience.

(cars that run like this will not 60 foot the same as they could with a factory OS)

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think this is a bit of a PD Blower issue and a trans shift schedule thing. I have a similar issue occasionally and mine is Lund Tuned and a Gen 3 blower. My 6R80 loves to LUG at low RPMs. Ive noticed sometimes im going like 30mph and im in 6th gear. I try and give it more gas to get it to downshift and at times it will go into boost and cause some hesitation or stumble. This seems like its more of a mechanical thing with the engine load and the way the bypass valve works. Try not to give it a lot of gas while your in a high gear.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Here's what I received from Whipple:

"... The bypass is not adjustable, but routing it to vacuum only (supercharger inlet) may help, but I cannot guarantee that. Some people install a .015" nitrous jet into the bypass hose to slow the actuation, but these are mostly Band-Aids. Drivability issues like this can usually be resolved with drive by wire tuning, but if dealing with a remote tuner, that isn't always the easiest thing to accomplish."

Can someone help explain/walk me through what they're referring to routing to vacuum only means?

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Between the rotors and the throttlebody, And it won’t help much. It just raises the engine load that is required to close the bypass.

Whipple calibration doesn’t have the issue your experiencing due To the implementation of Ford racing bypass logic.

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
I just had a stage 2 whipple installed in my 2022 Mustang and it feels like it actually lost power. It wont even break traction with the advanced trac off . taking back to the shop tomorrow to let the owner test drive it.
Sponsored