Sponsored

Anyone else happy not to drive their mustang and just look at it?

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Yes it is a good looking car, but my take away from seeing others lose their pride and joy to mother nature, or death.
I rather drive it than sit in a chair or stand looking at it. but if that is your thing, go nuts. I spent decades looking at posters and yearly calendars of '66-69 stangs, Now that the new bread 69 is in my driveway I'd rather be driving it, than looking at it.
Sponsored

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
Hi - Being an old guy I realize that we tend to wax philosophically more than we should, so Iā€™ll try to be brief. Everyone of us is different in so many ways - upbringing, education, interests, finances, etc, that itā€™s not surprising how varied these responses are but in the background we all have a special interest in cars. Once you get bit by the ā€œcar enthusiast bugā€, you are generally hooked for life. I started as a kid counting and identifying cars going by the house on boring days when there wasnā€™t anything better to do. Sometimes itā€™s our fathers, older brothers or friends that nurtured that interest. We often go through phases where we have fun cars early in life as single guys or gals, then events like marriage and children might interfere with that. In my lifetime I knew several guys who sold their Corvettes to make the down payment on their first house, later of course regretting it. Then there are the family years with family cars and tight finances. Some of us get back into ā€œfun carsā€ at a time referred to as the ā€œmid-life crises yearsā€. Sometimes a divorce changes our situation. Eventually when the kids are gone and mortgages paid off we feel enough financial freedom that the basic love of cars rises to the forefront again and we start the next phase which might be buying classic cars we owned when younger or new sporty cars such as Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers, etc. Iā€™m now in the twilight years of my life and to me it became time to cut back in order to make life easier for my sweet wife should I become a viable candidate for the great junkyard in the sky. So I sold my classic GTO from the ā€˜60s and my C4 Vette, leaving me with the ā€˜19 Bullitt. It is the most practical and safe car that I donā€™t worry about it breaking down and leaving me stranded somewhere. It is also a fun car to drive and Iā€™ve never lost my enjoyment of shifting gears in a manual transmissions, although I happen the think 5 forward gears are enough. As my license plate says, I suspect this will be my ā€œLAST TOYā€. My granddaughter has already put dibs on it. So be understanding of otherā€™s interests, be it going to the track, trading for a new car every year, no brand loyalty, just enjoying looking at them or simply using it part of the year for leisure cruising about the countryside. Happy travelsā€¦ Bruce
well said Bruce
like i said in my last post i am in my 50's (early) and had my fun early. kids came way later in life (43), i got a late start......but things change. i dont think i will ever lose interest in cars....maybe some certain models but in general no. i think the landscape will look vastly different for my kids when they are able to drive (and beyond me) and who knows where "cars" will be 30yrs down the road....
i hate to sell the 15 (or the 66) but sometimes i have to look at the future for my kids....i want to give them something i never had....investment going into life. since i am so old (sarcasm) there is a good chance that i might pass before they are 25 so i want to make sure they have $$ in savings to survive. (i guess thats the "OLD" me talking now...)
will see how things go in the next couple years and what i can/cannot do. nothing lasts forever.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
This right here.

Iā€˜m always amazed that some folks feel entitled to tell others the right way they should enjoy their own property.
Also, some folks should stop pulling words out of context and grow some skin after all.

Nobody tries to dictate others here how to use their property. OP asked for opinions and got different thoughts from different people, he actually provided very adequate responses and didn't take it as a personal offense.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Also, some folks should stop pulling words out of context and grow some skin after all.

Nobody tries to dictate others here how to use their property. OP asked for opinions and got different thoughts from different people, he actually provided very adequate responses and didn't take it as a personal offense.
Iā€™m sorry but youā€™re twisting words here and grabbing at straws. Thereā€™s nothing at all out of context. Regardless of the precise phrasing used, these threads (which pop up somewhat frequently) always convey the same message: Iā€™m a better Mustang custodian than you because I choose to thrash my car while you choose to curate yours.

Look, I have no problem if you want to put a lift kit on your GT and post about the joy you find in taking it off-roading. Iā€™m happy youā€™re enjoying your ride. Just try to refrain from inferring that it somehow makes you superior to the guy who chooses to hang in his driveway and polish his. Live and let live.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Iā€™m a better Mustang custodian than you because I choose to thrash my car while you choose to curate yours.
Just try to refrain from inferring that it somehow makes you superior to the guy who chooses to hang in his driveway and polish his.
just show me please where I said or implied anything like that in this thread and I will apologize. Otherwise, I would expect some sort of apology to come from you.

Also, I have treated all my cars with love, care and respect whether it was a 20 year old VW Golf II or a brand new top trim Mustang GT. using the cars as they were intended is not the same as trashing them.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
well said Bruce
like i said in my last post i am in my 50's (early) and had my fun early. kids came way later in life (43), i got a late start......but things change. i dont think i will ever lose interest in cars....maybe some certain models but in general no. i think the landscape will look vastly different for my kids when they are able to drive (and beyond me) and who knows where "cars" will be 30yrs down the road....
i hate to sell the 15 (or the 66) but sometimes i have to look at the future for my kids....i want to give them something i never had....investment going into life. since i am so old (sarcasm) there is a good chance that i might pass before they are 25 so i want to make sure they have $$ in savings to survive. (i guess thats the "OLD" me talking now...)
will see how things go in the next couple years and what i can/cannot do. nothing lasts forever.
We think similarlyā€¦ Bruce

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
don't have time to read all the thread just saying I love looking at my GT and a love driving it too! Since I chose to live where there's seasons and winter and ice n stuff I have to leave it be for some periods. I've said before if you can walk out to the garage (or wherever) look at your Mustang and smile you did right. I don't daily drive it but my gal and I go out for country drives very often with the top down, when not prepping for a track weekend.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
just show me please where I said or implied anything like that in this thread and I will apologize. Otherwise, I would expect some sort of apology to come from you.

Also, I have treated all my cars with love, care and respect whether it was a 20 year old VW Golf II or a brand new top trim Mustang GT. using the cars as they were intended is not the same as trashing them.
Tosha Iā€™m not certain either of us needs to apologize. I simply quoted you because you had quoted me and there was continuity of thought. My original comment which you quoted referenced ā€œsome folksā€, not you personally. Having said that though, it wouldnā€™t be unfair to point out that your question in post #13 asking ā€œWhatā€™s the point in all this preservation effort?ā€ comes pretty close to being disdainful of those who choose to engage in it.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Tosha Iā€™m not certain either of us needs to apologize. I simply quoted you because you had quoted me and there was continuity of thought. My original comment which you quoted referenced ā€œsome folksā€, not you personally. Having said that though, it wouldnā€™t be unfair to point out that your question in post #13 asking ā€œWhatā€™s the point in all this preservation effort?ā€ comes pretty close to being disdainful of those who choose to engage in it.
Hi - Come on guys, itā€™s the holiday season. Kiss and make-upā€¦ Bruce

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
well said Bruce
Well put.

I'm sort of on the other side of the coin as you, and at a similar age. I lost my son (only child) in February of '20 and now, nearly three years on, my outlook on many, many things are much, much different. During what turned out to be our last phone conversation, one topic of many was me getting my hands on a new GT500. As I stated before in this thread, I had many reasons for bailing on doing so, and having no heir to leave it to was another.

So, good on you for looking ahead for your kids. Nothing lasts forever, indeed.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Appreciate the clarification. :handshake:
As far as my question, I further explained that it was just a question and OP provided a totally reasonable response.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
[/QUOTE]
Hi - Being an old guy I realize that we tend to wax philosophically more than we should, so Iā€™ll try to be brief. Everyone of us is different in so many ways - upbringing, education, interests, finances, etc, that itā€™s not surprising how varied these responses are but in the background we all have a special interest in cars. Once you get bit by the ā€œcar enthusiast bugā€, you are generally hooked for life. I started as a kid counting and identifying cars going by the house on boring days when there wasnā€™t anything better to do. Sometimes itā€™s our fathers, older brothers or friends that nurtured that interest. We often go through phases where we have fun cars early in life as single guys or gals, then events like marriage and children might interfere with that. In my lifetime I knew several guys who sold their Corvettes to make the down payment on their first house, later of course regretting it. Then there are the family years with family cars and tight finances. Some of us get back into ā€œfun carsā€ at a time referred to as the ā€œmid-life crises yearsā€. Sometimes a divorce changes our situation. Eventually when the kids are gone and mortgages paid off we feel enough financial freedom that the basic love of cars rises to the forefront again and we start the next phase which might be buying classic cars we owned when younger or new sporty cars such as Corvettes, Mustangs, Challengers, etc. Iā€™m now in the twilight years of my life and to me it became time to cut back in order to make life easier for my sweet wife should I become a viable candidate for the great junkyard in the sky. So I sold my classic GTO from the ā€˜60s and my C4 Vette, leaving me with the ā€˜19 Bullitt. It is the most practical and safe car that I donā€™t worry about it breaking down and leaving me stranded somewhere. It is also a fun car to drive and Iā€™ve never lost my enjoyment of shifting gears in manual transmissions, although I happen the think 5 forward gears are enough. As my license plate says, I suspect this will be my ā€œLAST TOYā€. My granddaughter has already put dibs on it. So be understanding of otherā€™s interests, be it going to the track, trading for a new car every year, no brand loyalty, just enjoying looking at them or simply using it part of the year for leisure cruising about the countryside. Happy travelsā€¦ Bruce
well said Bruce
Right on and well said by the both of you!

For the more mature of us (that is, old guys), given the current economic situation with its future uncertainty, I am very concerned about the long term financial well-being of my children and grandchildren--When I was a young parent I never thought that I would have to worry about providing for their financial security, as my parents never had to worry about my financial security--jobs were plentiful throughout my working years and pay was good. Today, this is not the case.

For those of us in our sixties and seventies, we have in our lifetimes reaped the economic fruits of our great nation that our Gen X'er, Millennial, and Gen Z children and grandchildren may never experience. Had you suggested to me forty years ago, that what we are experiencing now would be the case, I would have told that you're smoking a bad grade of dope. So I, too, have cut back on my toys in order to maximize the financial assets to be transferred to my children and grandchildren upon my and my wife's passing. It is the least I can do.

I am sure they will appreciate it long after we're gone.

RJ
Sponsored